Urg, maybe you're right. Did Bailey originally appear on the Obscure record? Not sure how old Krieger is. Bummer.matinee wrote:I'm pretty sure it reads that they're the original recordings:
http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/177bryars.html
They point out that two of the works appeared on the Obscure series, and two of the recordings have "First recording" listed under them.
upcoming releases to look forward to
-
user_4602
-
potatocircle
- Posts: 269
- Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:21 pm
I like scott walker's "classic" stuff fine enough, but that 'review' by sid smith is one of those impossible-to-understand-how-these-people-have-a-job-writing type things.
he says those with critical orthodoxy will call it pretentious because it doesn't fall into the same bounds as his other stuff -
but who the fuck has listened to more than one scott walker album and then EXPECTED any one particualr thing from the next?
And I hate when reviews of something attempt to stave off other kinds of reviews by predicting their viewpoint and then dismissing it. It reminds me of that movie "Storytelling" where the director has the main character of the second half give all the possible criticisma that people would make of the movie within the movie. Knowing and naming your weaknesses is not the same as overcoming them.
Third thing, the word 'pretentious' has almost no use. It is so often used to attack things, but it has no bearing I've ever seen. No one will ever admit to being pretentious, and no one can ever agree on who or what is. Seems like an empty critique to me, every time i see it used.
he says those with critical orthodoxy will call it pretentious because it doesn't fall into the same bounds as his other stuff -
but who the fuck has listened to more than one scott walker album and then EXPECTED any one particualr thing from the next?
And I hate when reviews of something attempt to stave off other kinds of reviews by predicting their viewpoint and then dismissing it. It reminds me of that movie "Storytelling" where the director has the main character of the second half give all the possible criticisma that people would make of the movie within the movie. Knowing and naming your weaknesses is not the same as overcoming them.
Third thing, the word 'pretentious' has almost no use. It is so often used to attack things, but it has no bearing I've ever seen. No one will ever admit to being pretentious, and no one can ever agree on who or what is. Seems like an empty critique to me, every time i see it used.
There was a solo version of The Squirrel and the Ricketty-Racketty Bridge recorded by Bailey on Incus 2 "Solo Guitar" (which Mode doesn't mention in their press release) and a quartet version of the same piece performed by Bailey, Bryars, Eno, & Frith on the Machine Pieces LP (Obscure 8 ) (space added so the digit/parenthesis combo didn't turn into a smilie).matinee wrote:Urg, maybe you're right. Did Bailey originally appear on the Obscure record? Not sure how old Krieger is. Bummer.matinee wrote:I'm pretty sure it reads that they're the original recordings:
http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/177bryars.html
They point out that two of the works appeared on the Obscure series, and two of the recordings have "First recording" listed under them.
I don't have the earlier recording of 1,2,1,2,3,4 that was on Ensemble Music Incus 2 but Bailey's discography (which has more details in this case than Bryars) list the ensemble as: Gavin Bryars: double bass; Christopher Hobbs: piano; Cornelius Cardew: cello; Derek Bailey: guitar; Mike Nicolls: drums; Celia Gollin: vocals; Brian Eno: vocals; Andy Mackay: oboe; Stuart Deeks: violins; Paul Nieman: trombone.
-
franz bieberkopf
- Posts: 642
- Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 9:33 pm
einsturzende neubauten will have a new album out very shortly. hopefully it is better than the last one, which really didn't register at all with me.
http://www.alles-wieder-offen.com/current-news.html
http://www.alles-wieder-offen.com/current-news.html
-
user_5099
I think it's a bit less good than "Perpetuum", which I did like a lot. it's very much in the same vein though.Franz Bieberkopf wrote:einsturzende neubauten will have a new album out very shortly. hopefully it is better than the last one, which really didn't register at all with me.
http://www.alles-wieder-offen.com/current-news.html
- fearandpanic
- Posts: 2363
- Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:41 pm
- Brian Olewnick
- Posts: 287
- Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 pm
The Bryars Aphorisms are being presented here in NYC at Roulette on 11/8 and I may be attending.Herb Levy wrote: I don't have the earlier recording of 1,2,1,2,3,4 that was on Ensemble Music Incus 2 but Bailey's discography (which has more details in this case than Bryars) list the ensemble as: Gavin Bryars: double bass; Christopher Hobbs: piano; Cornelius Cardew: cello; Derek Bailey: guitar; Mike Nicolls: drums; Celia Gollin: vocals; Brian Eno: vocals; Andy Mackay: oboe; Stuart Deeks: violins; Paul Nieman: trombone.

かえる目 Kaerumoku (HOSOMA Hiromichi, UNAMI Taku, KINOSHITA Kazushige and NAKAO Kanji) - 主観 the subjectivity
another unami's weird easy listening music
1. 音痴というもの
3. あの寺へ帰りたい(弁慶の引き摺り鐘の伝説)
5. 坂の季節
7. 女学院とわたし
10. リリパット
No work tomorrow to work today.
Jeph Jerman and Jon Mueller: Nodes and Antinodes DVD
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SqBJRCav7kU" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
Crouton Music wrote:?Nodes and Anti-Nodes? involves a variety of movements having either a visual or sound affect on other things - sometimes both. Whether by hand, vibration or other mechanical or natural methods, there?s a relationship between these events that?s interesting to consider.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SqBJRCav7kU" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
No work tomorrow to work today.
- sound plague
- Posts: 761
- Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:43 pm
-
user_710
- sound plague
- Posts: 761
- Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:43 pm
It would have been difficult for anything to live up to amount of hype the s/t received. That said, I think it's a great album with a certain occult quality. The complaints about the way it was mixed are understandable but I must say that it worked for me.etbtc wrote:What did you think of the self titled album? I know Wire said it was great. But I thought it was overhyped. I wasn't particularly happy with the way it was mixed. I want to turn it up to hear the bass better, but when I do, I get painful, sharp high-hats.
So no, the s/t wasn't the second coming but it was a great listen.
They were certainly delivering live in 2004 as the show & their official bootleg proved.fearandpanic wrote:I thought they lost their way with Ende Neu. Silence Is Sexy is spotty, but I found myself enjoying it again recently more than I did when it came out.
I got a set from Hannover earlier this year that was pretty good though I can't remember the last time I played it.
I've seen differing views on the new one in various reviews. I think The Wire found it amazingly unabrasive and gave it a poor rating, & Mojo and Uncut liked it. dunno with them how tokenist their liking of a recognised entity like EN is though.


