upcoming releases to look forward to

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

user_4602

Post by user_4602 »

matinee wrote:I'm pretty sure it reads that they're the original recordings:

http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/177bryars.html

They point out that two of the works appeared on the Obscure series, and two of the recordings have "First recording" listed under them.
Urg, maybe you're right. Did Bailey originally appear on the Obscure record? Not sure how old Krieger is. Bummer.

potatocircle
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:21 pm

Post by potatocircle »

I like scott walker's "classic" stuff fine enough, but that 'review' by sid smith is one of those impossible-to-understand-how-these-people-have-a-job-writing type things.

he says those with critical orthodoxy will call it pretentious because it doesn't fall into the same bounds as his other stuff -
but who the fuck has listened to more than one scott walker album and then EXPECTED any one particualr thing from the next?

And I hate when reviews of something attempt to stave off other kinds of reviews by predicting their viewpoint and then dismissing it. It reminds me of that movie "Storytelling" where the director has the main character of the second half give all the possible criticisma that people would make of the movie within the movie. Knowing and naming your weaknesses is not the same as overcoming them.

Third thing, the word 'pretentious' has almost no use. It is so often used to attack things, but it has no bearing I've ever seen. No one will ever admit to being pretentious, and no one can ever agree on who or what is. Seems like an empty critique to me, every time i see it used.

Herb Levy
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Post by Herb Levy »

matinee wrote:
matinee wrote:I'm pretty sure it reads that they're the original recordings:

http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/177bryars.html

They point out that two of the works appeared on the Obscure series, and two of the recordings have "First recording" listed under them.
Urg, maybe you're right. Did Bailey originally appear on the Obscure record? Not sure how old Krieger is. Bummer.
There was a solo version of The Squirrel and the Ricketty-Racketty Bridge recorded by Bailey on Incus 2 "Solo Guitar" (which Mode doesn't mention in their press release) and a quartet version of the same piece performed by Bailey, Bryars, Eno, & Frith on the Machine Pieces LP (Obscure 8 ) (space added so the digit/parenthesis combo didn't turn into a smilie).

I don't have the earlier recording of 1,2,1,2,3,4 that was on Ensemble Music Incus 2 but Bailey's discography (which has more details in this case than Bryars) list the ensemble as: Gavin Bryars: double bass; Christopher Hobbs: piano; Cornelius Cardew: cello; Derek Bailey: guitar; Mike Nicolls: drums; Celia Gollin: vocals; Brian Eno: vocals; Andy Mackay: oboe; Stuart Deeks: violins; Paul Nieman: trombone.

User avatar
Yii
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Paju, Korea
Contact:

Post by Yii »

Image

taku sugimoto, mitsuhiro yoshimura duo - not BGM and so on ((h)ear rings, 2007)

mitsuhiro yoshimura (headphone, microphone)
taku sugimoto (electric fun, CD, acoustic guitar, lightsabers)

lightsabers? :roll:
No work tomorrow to work today.

user_710

Post by user_710 »

Image


These clips have me psyched.

user_2021

Post by user_2021 »

psyched for the mick barr 2Xdvd & the Goslings/Warmth (2?)cd on aRCHIVE.

franz bieberkopf
Posts: 642
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 9:33 pm

Post by franz bieberkopf »

einsturzende neubauten will have a new album out very shortly. hopefully it is better than the last one, which really didn't register at all with me.

http://www.alles-wieder-offen.com/current-news.html

user_5099

Post by user_5099 »

was their last one perpetuum mobile? I quite liked that one after a couple of listens. I recently made a couple of purchases by them and was surprised at the difference in sound.

User avatar
_duif
Posts: 638
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: ghent(B)

Post by _duif »

Franz Bieberkopf wrote:einsturzende neubauten will have a new album out very shortly. hopefully it is better than the last one, which really didn't register at all with me.

http://www.alles-wieder-offen.com/current-news.html
I think it's a bit less good than "Perpetuum", which I did like a lot. it's very much in the same vein though.

user_5099

Post by user_5099 »

same here. i thought Perpetuum was great. I need to dig that up again.

User avatar
fearandpanic
Posts: 2363
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 12:41 pm

Post by fearandpanic »

I thought they lost their way with Ende Neu. Silence Is Sexy is spotty, but I found myself enjoying it again recently more than I did when it came out.

User avatar
Brian Olewnick
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Post by Brian Olewnick »

Herb Levy wrote: I don't have the earlier recording of 1,2,1,2,3,4 that was on Ensemble Music Incus 2 but Bailey's discography (which has more details in this case than Bryars) list the ensemble as: Gavin Bryars: double bass; Christopher Hobbs: piano; Cornelius Cardew: cello; Derek Bailey: guitar; Mike Nicolls: drums; Celia Gollin: vocals; Brian Eno: vocals; Andy Mackay: oboe; Stuart Deeks: violins; Paul Nieman: trombone.
The Bryars Aphorisms are being presented here in NYC at Roulette on 11/8 and I may be attending.

User avatar
Yii
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Paju, Korea
Contact:

Post by Yii »

Image
かえる目 Kaerumoku (HOSOMA Hiromichi, UNAMI Taku, KINOSHITA Kazushige and NAKAO Kanji) - 主観 the subjectivity

another unami's weird easy listening music

1. 音痴というもの
3. あの寺へ帰りたい(弁慶の引き摺り鐘の伝説)
5. 坂の季節
7. 女学院とわたし
10. リリパット
No work tomorrow to work today.

User avatar
faster
rasbliutto
Posts: 3278
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:54 pm
Location: The Internet
Contact:

Post by faster »

That's a great cover.
You, of all people, should understand

User avatar
Yii
Posts: 1847
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Paju, Korea
Contact:

Post by Yii »

Jeph Jerman and Jon Mueller: Nodes and Antinodes DVD
Crouton Music wrote:?Nodes and Anti-Nodes? involves a variety of movements having either a visual or sound affect on other things - sometimes both. Whether by hand, vibration or other mechanical or natural methods, there?s a relationship between these events that?s interesting to consider.
:arrow:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=SqBJRCav7kU" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
No work tomorrow to work today.

User avatar
sound plague
Posts: 761
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Post by sound plague »

ghostargot wrote:Image


These clips have me psyched.
It's a fairly amazing album for sure. I've been listening to it pretty much non-stop. Looking forward to owning a physical copy.

user_710

Post by user_710 »

Yeah, I like it quite a bit too. Although, I'm already wondering if it's going to have the lasting power of the "s/t" album. It's fantastic though, to be sure.

user_5154

Post by user_5154 »

delete

User avatar
sound plague
Posts: 761
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Post by sound plague »

etbtc wrote:What did you think of the self titled album? I know Wire said it was great. But I thought it was overhyped. I wasn't particularly happy with the way it was mixed. I want to turn it up to hear the bass better, but when I do, I get painful, sharp high-hats.
It would have been difficult for anything to live up to amount of hype the s/t received. That said, I think it's a great album with a certain occult quality. The complaints about the way it was mixed are understandable but I must say that it worked for me.

So no, the s/t wasn't the second coming but it was a great listen.

Stevo
Posts: 460
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:00 pm

Post by Stevo »

fearandpanic wrote:I thought they lost their way with Ende Neu. Silence Is Sexy is spotty, but I found myself enjoying it again recently more than I did when it came out.
They were certainly delivering live in 2004 as the show & their official bootleg proved.
I got a set from Hannover earlier this year that was pretty good though I can't remember the last time I played it.

I've seen differing views on the new one in various reviews. I think The Wire found it amazingly unabrasive and gave it a poor rating, & Mojo and Uncut liked it. dunno with them how tokenist their liking of a recognised entity like EN is though.