Recommend musical theory texts/essays
-
user_19
Recommend musical theory texts/essays
Just like the title says, please. I'm looking for introductory books, but I'll take note of more advanced material - and it would probably prompt more discussion in the thread so don't hold back.
probably not what you are looking for but Curtis Roads' The Computer Music Tutorial and Microsound are extremely interesting reads about computer music theory; everything you need to know about digital synthesis of all kinds is in the first book, and even more everything you could ever want to know about granular synthesis is in the second book.
Both books tell you how everything works and how to make it yourself (without writing the code for you) but also give a fair amount of historical context.
Both books tell you how everything works and how to make it yourself (without writing the code for you) but also give a fair amount of historical context.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://saundersrsm.blogspot.com
http://saundersrsm.blogspot.com
-
user_912
the piston is what they assigned me in comp/orch 101, can't get much more university than that. related but un-related: atali's "noise", the futursist manifesto(s), cage's "silence", a bunch of kostelantz from the 60s/70s. right on up through nyman's "experimental music" and the two curtis roads books mentioned above.erimuh wrote:anyone know of any good university-type texts?
I second both Atali 'Noise' and Cage's silence.
Stockhausen on Music is pretty interesting as well, as long as you aren't put off by how much Stockhausen loves himself.
Stockhausen on Music is pretty interesting as well, as long as you aren't put off by how much Stockhausen loves himself.
Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
http://saundersrsm.blogspot.com
http://saundersrsm.blogspot.com
-
user_1142
-
user_997
yeah i've read bits and pieces of that book, some well-known contributors in it ie. Cage, Varese, Eno, Russolo, Stockhausen, Aphex Twin, Scanner, Derek Bailey...the list goes on. i'd highly recommend it, and i'm sure anyone can find something interesting in it.jkudler wrote:nyman is a classic. the christoph cox "audio culture" book is a great survey (even fucking *spooky* is in there <hiss>). poke around ubu.com too.
-jesse
-
user_938
i'm well into that MICROSOUND book - brill stuff. Trevor WHISHART'S book "audible design" is also great for the technical stuff.
for the theory i reckon this is top reading: XENAKIS "formalized music"
theres tonnes of GRM books that are really worthwhile, especially MICHEL CHION's "La musique électroacoustique" and why not try abit of SCHAEFFER'S "solfege", but hows your French?
for the theory i reckon this is top reading: XENAKIS "formalized music"
theres tonnes of GRM books that are really worthwhile, especially MICHEL CHION's "La musique électroacoustique" and why not try abit of SCHAEFFER'S "solfege", but hows your French?
-
user_525
I think the Piston books would take you upto a high standard.
But for the advanced I recommend the Musical Analysis Journal, the stuff they write about is difficult but it's well written. A lot of the internationally reknown theorists write for it. Another great one that springs to mind is the Charles Wuorinen book: Simple Composition.
But for the advanced I recommend the Musical Analysis Journal, the stuff they write about is difficult but it's well written. A lot of the internationally reknown theorists write for it. Another great one that springs to mind is the Charles Wuorinen book: Simple Composition.
- Dohol
- Posts: 2885
- Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
- Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
- Contact:
Sound Structure in Music by Robert Erickson.
Very good. Oriented towards timbre and sound rather than harmony.
Very good. Oriented towards timbre and sound rather than harmony.
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”
Morton Feldman
http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook
Morton Feldman
http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook
-
user_801
-
user_801
l just stumbled across this:antboy wrote:Michel Chion's AUDIO VISION is a really fantastic read...in english and heaps of interesting stuff about the links between visual / cinema and sound / music.
http://www.michelchion.com/" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
there is a full list of all his writings (mostly in french) and disography etc...
-
user_912
definitely not the best place to start - a very daunting book. the "conversations with xenakis" book by... vargas?.. is a more enjoyable read and touches on xenny's background/politics/etc... as well as some of his compositional idea(l)s... -khellospiral wrote:Actually, unless you have a background in mathematics don't expect to make heads or tails of this book. At least I couldn't.for the theory i reckon this is top reading: XENAKIS "formalized music"
-
user_183
Music cognition is a subgenre of studies whichhas yet to be touched on. This area is not always populated with the most musically learned people, which is refreshing and maddening. There is good work to be done on the cultural attitudes underlying these experimental designs and conclusions, if you're looking for a PhD.
These two books cover a lot of the 'hard science':
The Psycholology of Music, Ed. Diana Deutsch
The Cognitive Neuroscience of Music, Ed. Peretz and Zatorre (OUP, 2003)
Here's a composer who has made a systematic attempt to bring harmony into the 21st century, bridging various tonalisms and bringing music theory into dialogue with science. His thesis is that music theory articulates a profound cognitive theory in and of itself (without the damn MRI machines, thank you!).
Fred Lerdahl, Tonal Pitch Space (OUP 2001).
Lerdahl and Jackendoff, A Generative Theory of Tonal Music (MIT 1983).
These two books cover a lot of the 'hard science':
The Psycholology of Music, Ed. Diana Deutsch
The Cognitive Neuroscience of Music, Ed. Peretz and Zatorre (OUP, 2003)
Here's a composer who has made a systematic attempt to bring harmony into the 21st century, bridging various tonalisms and bringing music theory into dialogue with science. His thesis is that music theory articulates a profound cognitive theory in and of itself (without the damn MRI machines, thank you!).
Fred Lerdahl, Tonal Pitch Space (OUP 2001).
Lerdahl and Jackendoff, A Generative Theory of Tonal Music (MIT 1983).
-
user_1082
If you're interested in tonal harmony and/or atonality, I have used works by Allen Forte and George Perle for university classes. I've heard good things about Kostka's Tonal Harmony book. These require a basic understanding of music fundamentals (pitches, scales), for which I would suggest Fundamentals of Music by Earl Henry.
For an introductory survey of 20th century music history and theory, I highly recommend the two "Twentieth-Century Music" books by Robert P. Morgan as well as Paul Griffiths' Modern Music and After (my personal fave).
I read Electronic and Experimental Music by Thom Holmes over summer and enjoyed it. If I taught a class on the history of such a topic, I would definitely use it.
I think everyone seriously involved in music should have Cage's Silence (and Feldman's Give My Regards to Eighth Street).
For an introductory survey of 20th century music history and theory, I highly recommend the two "Twentieth-Century Music" books by Robert P. Morgan as well as Paul Griffiths' Modern Music and After (my personal fave).
I read Electronic and Experimental Music by Thom Holmes over summer and enjoyed it. If I taught a class on the history of such a topic, I would definitely use it.
I think everyone seriously involved in music should have Cage's Silence (and Feldman's Give My Regards to Eighth Street).
