Thanks very much for this, whoever you may be?!jules wrote:I have mixed feelings about the fact that you haven't communicated with Jeph directly about his music/listening.
But maybe the whole point is....learning to listen.....truely listen. And not judge sound as noise or melody, ugly or beautiful, just something "that is"......something to experience.
And thanks Greg, you've described Jeph well.[/b]
It is true that I have not yet contacted Jeph. I do have his email as I obtained it before I began this exercise, but I have deliberately held off contacting him so far. Chris Letchausen above hits most of my reasons for not doing so bang on the button, (thanks Chris) i am doing this as much as anything to develop my own response to this fascinating music, and often this is clouded by knowing too much to begin with.
As you perfectly assess though Jules, I am learning a lot about my listening style and ability through this. I absorb phenomenal amounts of music every week and have done for many years, but this experience is really making me stop and listen one level closer.
Also one element of all of this that I haven't really talked about yet is my interest in the general worth of music journalism. Is there anything that can be added to music through the written word (I doubt it) does the original attention of the artist in question get clouded once filtered through the words of a critic with limited knowledge? (quite probably) Does music journalism really have any use beyond letting a potential listener know how something will sound? (I am really beginning to wonder)
It has always been my intention to mail Jeph and ask him for an overview of his music before I finish this project. Whilst a musician should expect his music to be reviewed and potentially misunderstood once he/she releases it into the public eye, a project of this size would be a little unfair to do without at least asking for a few words, so I intend to do this, probably sooner now than originally planned.
But above all, this has been about my personal response to a large catalogue of very interesting and thoughtful music (if indeed, music is the correct word here) My experience has been extremely enjoyable and the opportunity to share that with others here may just increase other people's interest in Jeph's work. If thats all I achieve here I will be happy.
