upcoming releases to look forward to

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

mudd
Site Admin
Posts: 4514
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by mudd »

tadk wrote:The Contest of Pleasures - Tempestuous (on Another Timbre)

other future releases on this label also look very interesting
http://www.anothertimbre.com/page5.html
holy crap yes, thanks for pointing that one out.

the contest of pleasures would be nice, but apart from mixed feelings about the shakuhachi record that might be the least exciting record on that first page.

agnel/minton, though.

m

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Post by jon abbey »

I'd say that shakuhachi record is one of the more intriguing releases on that list to me, Iwamoto is the guy from the great Such double CD, and Denyer is somehow associated with the AMM crew also.

mudd
Site Admin
Posts: 4514
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by mudd »

if i knew anything anything about deyner, possibly so. the promo text was a real turnoff, though.

m

User avatar
Richard Pinnell
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, England
Contact:

Post by Richard Pinnell »

IMO, the most interesting of those first five releases are the Angharad Davies / Tisha Mukarji disc, quite recent material from two great players little heard outside there immediate scenes, and the Davies/Davis/Rebello/Saad? recording which I have heard great things about.

Simon has even more releases lined up also, that seem to throw a nice balance between older and newer styles of improv, and a real UK lean to things, which for me is a real positive.

User avatar
hatta
Posts: 1785
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 pm
Contact:

Post by hatta »

Richard Pinnell wrote:...and a real UK lean to things, which for me is a real positive.
Why's that? Do you feel that region is underdocumented?
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"

User avatar
Richard Pinnell
Posts: 2629
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 6:12 pm
Location: Oxfordshire, England
Contact:

Post by Richard Pinnell »

hatta wrote:
Richard Pinnell wrote:...and a real UK lean to things, which for me is a real positive.
Why's that? Do you feel that region is underdocumented?
No, not particularly, though in the EAI world its probably not overecorded either. I just welcome the opportunity to hear musicians I know and am able to watch live on CD as well.

One thing I would say about those first AT releases is that they have captured a few of the younger, new musicians coming through in this country, which is great.

User avatar
hatta
Posts: 1785
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 11:22 pm
Contact:

Post by hatta »

Fair enough, seems reasonable. I'm definitely highly interested in that Angharad Davies / Tisha Mukarji as well - what I've gotten to hear from those two so far has a ton of potential. And its good to hear someone finally using the violin in an interesting way.
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"

tadk
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 11:24 pm

Post by tadk »

Suicide "Live 1977-78" on Blast First (petite)
http://blastfirstpetite.com/

user_4602

Post by user_4602 »

kind of excited to pick up the new Richard Bishop on drag city this week based on the sheer fact that d.c. drops Salvador Kali as the reference point for this one

also, the new Marianne Nowottny could b fun

mudd
Site Admin
Posts: 4514
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Post by mudd »

matinee wrote: also, the new Marianne Nowottny could b fun
a promo is sitting by my computer, but i have yet to listen closely.

looks odd.

m

user_4602

Post by user_4602 »

mudd wrote:
matinee wrote: also, the new Marianne Nowottny could b fun
a promo is sitting by my computer, but i have yet to listen closely.

looks odd.

m
if you hate it, you know who'd like a copy :)

user_4602

Post by user_4602 »


user_4602

Post by user_4602 »

the new Scott Walker album And Who Shall Go To The Ball ? And What Shall Go To The Ball ?

the new Radiohead album :)

user_5099

Post by user_5099 »

anyone found any torrents for the new radiohead? I plan on buying it I just want to hear it in advance and stuff

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7920
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Post by Dan Warburton »

Re: the new Scott Walker album And Who Shall Go To The Ball ? And What Shall Go To The Ball ?


Sid Smith wrote:
Listeners familiar with his erratic output of last couple of decades will know that when Scott Walker breaks those famously-long bouts of public inactivity the results can be perplexing, challenging and downright confrontational.

Commissioned by London?s South Bank Centre in 2006 to produce a score for a contemporary dance piece, Walker has turned in a series of oblique and angular strokes of the musical brush which coalesce into four edgy movements.

Whilst sharing the uneven contours that shaped The Drift as well as some personnel (including Mark Warman, co-producer Pete Walsh and Alasdair Molloy ? seen in the recently released SW documentary 30th Century Man being instructed to slap and punch a side of pork for percussive effect), the biggest difference is the absence of Walker?s haunted croon.

The resulting chamber music has the strings, woodwind, and brass of the London Sinfonietta deploy terse motifs and abrupt flicks of rhythm slashing at the air, trading places with ambiguity, silence and solitude. Cinematic echoes abound. The taut grunt of the bowed basses evoke flashes of John Williams, Bernard Herrmann and Elizabeth Lutyens, whilst the dissonant churning of ?4th Movement? has shrill galloping Louis Andriessen-like repetitions on the brass, colliding one on top of each other before being electronically accelerated into oblivion.

No stranger to the emotive cues and triggers required for movie soundtracks (in 1999 he provided the music to Leos Carax? Pola X), this score provides ample opportunity for dancers to make their mark. A master of his entrances and exits, Walker gathers all the loose ends thrown up in to the air during the previous 20 or so minutes, distilling them into a sustained D chord, and thus providing the album with a powerful sense of mournful resolution.

No doubt it?ll be labelled ?pretentious? by members of the critical orthodoxy that, by and large, prefers musicians and artists to remain firmly inside the box into which they?ve been interred. Walker has never been one to conform to anyone?s expectations and having been in the game this long, he?s not about to start now.

Sid Smith (2007-09-21)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/qq9x/" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't say I'm likely to run out and buy this one in a hurry, but if I come across somewhere I daresay I'll pick it up. Unless he sings something on it. Most of his orchestration is heavy, verging on the bombastic, but it works in context with the voice. The orchestral stuff on its own could be pretty turgid, I suspect. Pola X is the Walker album I play the least.
There's a question: whatever became of Leos Carax? (That should be on I Hate Film before anyone replies)
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

user_4602

Post by user_4602 »

Dan Warburton wrote:Re: the new Scott Walker album And Who Shall Go To The Ball ? And What Shall Go To The Ball ?

Can't say I'm likely to run out and buy this one in a hurry, but if I come across somewhere I daresay I'll pick it up. Unless he sings something on it. Most of his orchestration is heavy, verging on the bombastic, but it works in context with the voice. The orchestral stuff on its own could be pretty turgid, I suspect. Pola X is the Walker album I play the least. (That should be on I Hate Film before anyone replies)
I feel the same way, but I can't help but hope he'll pull it off this time...

User avatar
cleanzero
Posts: 709
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:20 am
Location: Sicily, Italy
Contact:

Post by cleanzero »

From the Hibari Blog:


"MONDAY 5 November 2007
TAKU UNAMI & MATTIN (Tokyo/Berlin)
Presentation of their new cd ?Attention? out on hibari music and w.m.o/r.
Improvisation in the form of interrogation."
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

user_4602

Post by user_4602 »

Image

Gavin Bryars The Marvellous Aphorisms of Gavin Bryars: The Early Years (Mode), featuring his two tracks from Eno's Obscure series and two others. Hommages is also getting reissued soon by LTM.

!!

Herb Levy
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 10:23 pm

Post by Herb Levy »

matinee wrote:Image

Gavin Bryars The Marvellous Aphorisms of Gavin Bryars: The Early Years (Mode), featuring his two tracks from Eno's Obscure series and two others. Hommages is also getting reissued soon by LTM.

!!
Based on Mode's press release, these are all new recordings and not re-issues of the recordings previously available.

user_4602

Post by user_4602 »

I'm pretty sure it reads that they're the original recordings:

http://www.moderecords.com/catalog/177bryars.html

They point out that two of the works appeared on the Obscure series, and two of the recordings have "First recording" listed under them.