these are my favorites also. especially 'drop me off at 96th'.Richard Pinnell wrote:My favourite solo Bailey moments are Aida and Drop me off at 96th,
derek bailey
-
user_719
- William Hutson
- Posts: 627
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:10 am
I just met a bass player named Christopher Williams, whose duo with Bailey (a recent CD-R on Incus) was Bailey's last recording using a guitar pick. After that, the carpal tunnel started becoming a problem. So sad.
here.
I do not quite understand why he resists medical surgery. CTS can be a nasty affair, but with a not too drastic intervention you may have the problem fixed within one or two months. I know what I'm talking about...William Hutson wrote:I just met a bass player named Christopher Williams, whose duo with Bailey (a recent CD-R on Incus) was Bailey's last recording using a guitar pick. After that, the carpal tunnel started becoming a problem. So sad.
- Dohol
- Posts: 2885
- Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
- Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
- Contact:
The older you get the longer it takes to heal. Bailey is 75. I supose he thought the down time wasn't worth it.Martin wrote:I do not quite understand why he resists medical surgery. CTS can be a nasty affair, but with a not too drastic intervention you may have the problem fixed within one or two months. I know what I'm talking about...William Hutson wrote:I just met a bass player named Christopher Williams, whose duo with Bailey (a recent CD-R on Incus) was Bailey's last recording using a guitar pick. After that, the carpal tunnel started becoming a problem. So sad.
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”
Morton Feldman
http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook
Morton Feldman
http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook
-
user_719
- Dohol
- Posts: 2885
- Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
- Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
- Contact:
Yeah, very sad. If only it was carpal tunnel.jon abbey wrote:moving threads over to the new site, but the last few posts on this one are really (unintentionally, of course) sad, given what happened a few months later.
Considering that it was ALS instead of CT, the recording is all the more moving.
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”
Morton Feldman
http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook
Morton Feldman
http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook
