Futbol 2021-22

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

Wombatz

Re: Futbol 2021-22

Post by Wombatz »

oh and marsch to leeds was such a bad idea ... it's so obvious from his time in leipzig that he is not one to turn any tides but will conscentiously apply sensible methods and trust that his players can field them ... there is no psychological side to his coaching at all. leeds are doomed.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Well Leeds had a big win on Saturday that likely keeps them up. I honestly think Everton is going down. hard to believe, but when they played Spurs, their defense was a shambles, and that is one thing that Burnley have, is organization. They will grind out enough 0-0 and 1-1 draws I think. But Everton seem totally directionless and without a captain who is going to get everyone to dig in. Dele is the opposite of the player they needed to be signing.

Spurs loss at United means their season is more or less over. They do still need to play Arsenal, so that's a 6 pointer. and Arsenal still need to play Chelsea away and Liverpool at home, but its hard to see Spurs getting consistent enough to leapfrog all these teams. They' really have to win out the string, and while they do have a favorable schedule, I dont see it happening. Kulusevski and (to a lesser extent0 Betancour has been so far good signings that are already first team players without seemingly any transition period. The wingbacks remain the single biggest issues with the team. With this type of system, you need to have creativity from the flanks and good delivery but they're just too inconsistent. although Reguillon's cross caused the Maguire own goal.

What's interesting is that the next few years could see a shift in the power dynamics of the top 4, with Arsenal becoming a Poch-era Spurs team with a window of competitiveness, and Spurs becoming a Chelsea like squad cycling through short term high profile managers without a consistent strategic thru line, and a core of aging veterans. What Chelsea will actually become is completely up in the air. Additionally, Pep and Klopp potentially winding down their tenures. and United a PSG type circus.

Havent been watching any of the other leagues, especially since Atalanta have gone into a funk since the January transfer window when they sold Gosens.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Haven't followed closely, but...

Champions League
Benfica vs Liverpool
Manchester City vs Atlético
Villarreal vs Bayern
Chelsea vs Real Madrid

Semi-finals
Manchester City / Atlético vs Chelsea / Real Madrid
Benfica / Liverpool vs Villarreal / Bayern

Europa League
Leipzig - Atalanta
Braga - Rangers
Frankfurt - Barcelona
West Ham - OL

Semi-finals (from what I understood)
Leipzig - Atalanta vs Braga - Rangers
Frankfurt - Barcelona vs West Ham - OL

Conference League
Bodo Glimt - AS Roma
Leicester - PSV
Feyenoord - Slavia Praha
OM - PAOK

Semi-finals (from what I understood)
Bodo Glimt - AS Roma vs Leicester - PSV
Feyenoord - Slavia Praha vs OM - PAOK

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:29 am
oh and marsch to leeds was such a bad idea ... it's so obvious from his time in leipzig that he is not one to turn any tides but will conscentiously apply sensible methods and trust that his players can field them ... there is no psychological side to his coaching at all. leeds are doomed.
They're in the process of building him a statue at Elland Road. :lol: Just kidding, I dont think he's a good fit either but the last 2 have been stunning last second victories. I only watched first half highlights, looks like JImenez got sent off for Wolves, and Bamford went off injured for Leeds I would prefer Leeds and Everton to stay up, obviously all neutral supporters want Burnley to go down.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

well if he accidentally gets their confidence back :o , then he just might work out

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

WHO'S NEXT BITCH, WHO'S NEXT !?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

man, if the macedonians finished the 2022 qualifiers with a tally comprising germany, italy and portugal away wins you could have just easily handed them the WC trophy and proceeded with playing the actual WC tournament like a friendly competition. jeez, what a ridiculous campaign.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Group of Death? I dont think there is one this year, pretty balanced. Maybe Croatia's group because Canada is strong apparently (dont know, havent seen them play), but Belgium is one of the weaker Pot 1 teams and Croatia isnt as strong as in 2018.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

so not only brazil serbia switzerland's a repeater but france denmark peru is also ! :lol:

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

so, we were at the stadium for the atalanta game (first time since the virus). hm. rats were pretty stale. there were chances, but more an outcome of friendly chaos than any game plan (except of course that sometimes is the game plan) ... atalanta were running around with much more purpose. first time seeing nkunku in the flesh but he had an off day. olmo was positively awful. it wasn't all bad, like some of the little drop-offs toward other players running forward, they knew the movements etc. but on the whole they had no idea what to do with the ball once in possession. substitutions mostly made no sense, especially taking nkunku out (off day or no) for an unknown youth player 5 minutes before the whistle didn't bode well. so the draw was ok. (above is the rats penalty being saved, i caught the exact moment! though unfortunately it's all a blur.) the tie is of course still eminently winnable, atalanta were hardly a revelation themselves.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

(spurs completely battered for a half and still winning 0-4 despite the competition losing points (prime invitation to spursiness) ... what's going on here?)

(not expecting any surprises in the cl return leg ... it would be nice if at least bayern went out but i don't see it)

surfer

Post by surfer »

Nice seats Lutz! I was set to watch that game but forgot it was an early kickoff and when I switched it on it was over. Atalanta are a shadow of themselves since January, solidly mid-table now in Serie A.

It was nice to see the Yellow Sub Spurs B-team (Capoue, Lo Celso, Foyth, Aurier) torpedo the "Its a manageable draw" u-boat. Bayern will find their scapegoat; I wonder if it will be Naglesmann, Gnabry, Hernandez, Upamecano. Huge amount of turnover due I would assume.

That being said, the Villareal winner was a moment of calm class from Parejo to get the ball out from being triple teamed, Lo Celso toe poking it, great cross from Moreno, but Chukwueze will not want to watch that replayed because he completely scuffs it into the ground and is unbelievably lucky it caroms over Neuer. Before that it was pure bus parking, with the visitors clearly playing for penalties. Bayern just never really looked convincing outside of the first 15 minutes of the second half.

I enjoyed Madrid's win, and especially Alonso's goal being cancelled by VAR. Modric getting MOTM for the museum quality assist on the second goal.

Spurs are rediscovering their Tottenham heritage. Score boatloads of goals in bunches but give up acres of chances. Lloris kept them in the match in the first until the front three clicked on. That flick on assist from Kane to Son was quite a thing of beauty. Late Kane's got a bit of Bergkamp in him doesnt he? Romero really the undersung hero of this team right now, I know Kulusexxxy is getting all the plaudits but watch a supercut of Romero, his defending is so "on the front foot", he barely waits for the ball to get to the player before he commits to the tackle.

surfer

Post by surfer »

The City - Athleti match was like the car crash you rubberneck. As much as I dont want the Citeh Project to succeed at anything, I'm glad they kept their heads for the most part in Madrid. Most of all, I enjoyed watching Phil Foden troll them and push Felipe's and Savic's buttons because he was so clearly doing it with a knowing ironic wink which is what pushed them over the edge. Chasing the ball down the touchline into the corner, the way head bandaged Foden avoided the first challenge and kept chasing even though he knew (because he knew) he was going to be clattered, and then rolled back onto the pitch, I literally laughed out loud, it was so funny watching Athletico get trollllllled like that in their own stadium in front of their fans. I really enjoy Phil Foden, he's got great spirit and understated joy and maturity in the way he plays. He looked like he was having a lovely time. Was enjoying a bottle of water and a good old chuckle at Simeone - all while wearing his snazzy head wrap. Terrific performance.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

urgh no, sorry i couldn't enjoy it and was kind of surprised at reactions like that. they seem to not notice that city use the dark arts all the time anyway. pep's favorite thing is winning undeservedly while being the better team.

villareal against bayern and now frankfurt against barcelona clearly prove we need that super league pronto.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

darn, since pep not winning the cl is prime objective, now i can't even really root for villareal for there's no way in heaven they'd beat him in the final ... rats are not looking too good lately, probably there's something to the rumours of e.g. laimer also leaving, hopefully they can keep it up in the cups (though domestically i'm a bit torn as freiburg used to be my team back in the volker finke days and they're just as likable now).

anyway, mostly i wanted to explain the last two spurs games ... we have a premier league kicktipp going on, and at some point my boy started reverse-jinxing all the spurs games and that's when their little series started ... but for the last too games he's been too cocky and actually bet on spurs again. so it's nothing to do with conte against spursiness, just my boy not doing his part properly ... (btw what are these rumours of conte and poch swapping jobs? does anyone want poch back as a throwback to less entertaining/more comfortable miseries?)

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Wombatz wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:31 am
urgh no, sorry i couldn't enjoy it and was kind of surprised at reactions like that. they seem to not notice that city use the dark arts all the time anyway. pep's favorite thing is winning undeservedly while being the better team.

villareal against bayern and now frankfurt against barcelona clearly prove we need that super league pronto.

I love this Pep take. His smug attitude reminds me of the "Football won today" bit by Xavi way back when. Which is why I have relished watching Barca struggle these last few years. Every time I hear someone talk about "anti-football" I just hear Herm Edwards say "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME." And yes the irony of quoting that while we talk about teams parking the bus isn't lost on me lol.

It just gets exhausting after a while. I feel like a lot of people who complain about winning ugly don't really play sports. Obviously winning with style is the ideal but it's not a perfect world and you work w what you've got.

And amidst all this I have to say I weirdly like Foden also.

EDIT:
I also need to express my excitement at the thought of Everton being relegated and knowing Rafa had something to do with it. Dream outcome.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

the season's prime objective has been achieved! unfortunately we turned off the game after city's lead not to have to witness pep's triumph, but of course had we watched the turnaround wouldn't have happened. it is amazing how pepe contrives to lose to inferior opposition year after year, though from what we saw it wasn't really coaching mistakes (okay, taking kdb out felt wrong, but then they made their goal, also ancelotti mirrored that decision by taking benzema out dangerously early) this time but real's really nuts levels of self-confidence ... so now one set of mentality monsters will have to lose the final ... is that even possible within the known laws of our universe? or will we have penalties until doomsday ...

p.s. after watching the highlights: how did rodrygo even control the header for the second the way the ball was deflected?

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

(the correct spursy thing to do of course will be to first decide the pl by beating liverpool and then lose to arsenal to blow cl place)

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Wombatz wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 3:25 am
(the correct spursy thing to do of course will be to first decide the pl by beating liverpool and then lose to arsenal to blow cl place)
Halfway there lol. I knew within 10min from kickoff Liverpool wasn't gonna win. They just didn't have it today. This was a prime Origi day, needed some magical nonsense and it wasn't going to come from anyone on the field barring Diaz who gave us the only lifeline to begin with. I would say it was shocking but I've been following Liverpool long enough to expect it lol. And fair play to Spurs because they were organized and pressed most of the game and Reds just didn't have an answer for it. I also weirdly love Conte so I'm not even too upset since I didn't see City letting the title go anyway. Just need some cup victories to lift the spirit.

I feel like I have no idea what will happen in this CL final. Hopefully Reds can get some revenge but it's starting to feel like a Madrid win is written in the stars. We'll just have to see.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

hey, we don't really expect the level of spursiness required now, do we? so it's cl football secured, kane and conte will stay, and a season to cautiously look forward to? who would have thunk! (rats are fourth after a bad start, too, but signs are less promising, lots of stale performances lately that suggest players wanting to leave. doesn't bode well for the cup final.)