Euros 2020

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

DarkAttraktor

Re: Euros 2020

Post by DarkAttraktor »

surfer wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:43 pm
Mine as well. Kind of bummed no Carlos or Walto this time. I reached out to Walto on FB (as well as Jon) but he never got back to me.
thanks for trying surf. i wanted to PM some of the people (Alaister also), but was simply swamped with work and never got to do so.

it's sad to kicktipp without carlos - the brazil of IHM footy predictors - and as well jon, walto and alaister who were with us from the very beginnings.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Turkey look terrible. Cant string three passes together and when they do its backwards.

Italy look extremely blunt in the final third.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

I didn't watch Italy/Turkey (Djoko/Nadal at the same time, and it was quite amazing), only saw the goals later.
I don't know what to expect with Belgium/Russia: OK, it's Belgium... but they have a few missing players and it's in St Petersburg, so... ?

surfer

Post by surfer »

Jesus I hope Eriksen is ok wow it looks really serious

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Yeah, awful... the latest news were positive, I hope it will continue to improve

Also, this:
https://twitter.com/MicGWagner/status/1 ... 4569748481

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

i was so swamped with work these two days that i literally slept in my office yesterday night.

didn't watch a single game except the very underwhelming first half of the opening match :x

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

first of all, england was pretty good, completely deserved it and i'd say croatia are kind of not themselves lately (haven't watched a CRO game in a while but i understand that they are kind of mushy these days). completely toothless in the last third and with no real spark, no one going for heroics, trying to prove something (which is something i expected considering the context of this tournament in the grand scheme of their football narrative). i thought gvardiol and vrsaljko were criminal and while brozovic and kovacic just didn't did well. it is even hard to put the blame on dalic considering both how england was good and the fact that he probably has his hands tied on reshuffling this historic team.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

as your average glory-hunting Serb i of course switched to Nolo when i saw he was Tsitsipas dominating in the text playbyplay of the 4th set and, of course, missed the largest chunk of the Macedonia game save the last 20 minutes as a consequence. and man, i must say, they didn't look good, especially Alioski who should have been their best.

i just hope that the late goal trashtalk by Arnautovic directed towards the Macedonian defense wasn't some nationalist idiocy.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

NED-UKR best game of the tournament so far

surfer

Post by surfer »

DarkAttraktor wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:26 am
first of all, england was pretty good, completely deserved it and i'd say croatia are kind of not themselves lately (haven't watched a CRO game in a while but i understand that they are kind of mushy these days). completely toothless in the last third and with no real spark, no one going for heroics, trying to prove something (which is something i expected considering the context of this tournament in the grand scheme of their football narrative). i thought gvardiol and vrsaljko were criminal and while brozovic and kovacic just didn't did well. it is even hard to put the blame on dalic considering both how england was good and the fact that he probably has his hands tied on reshuffling this historic team.
What to say. England are a talented squad and have a lot of pace and quick feet. We always have trouble with Sterling. They have added players, or players like Rice Foden Mings who can handle the ball. Trippier is better than he was three years ago. (also, on a related note, one of the turning points of Spurs decline was when they sold Trippier quickly and for no apparent reason. Has anyone done a postmortem on that transfer?) They arent always incisive in the final third, but they create a decent number of chances. Croatia is just older, slower, and they have absolutely no point of attack. Kramaric was completely anonymous. Perisic's skills are starting to deteriorate, he's not as good getting shots on target anymore. Rebic is just a battering ram, one of the most technically unskilled players I've ever seen, a very un-Croatian like player, the first touch of a Neanderthal. I still marvel at his volley against Caballero in the WC. Vrsaljiko is not 100% fit. Gvardiol is 19 years old (Rats player on loan to Dinamo) so let's just admire that he has many more years to develop. Central defense was fine I thought, Caleta-Car acquitted himself well. Yes Brozo was not so epic today, lots of misplayed passes, but he was under a lot of pressure and has been such an important piece of this generation, we just dont produce DMs. Kovacic I thought did ok but will always be stifled by Modric's presence, there's just too much redundancy there. Modric was MOTM and has been in almost every match I've seen them play for a while now, but there is only so uch he can do. Mushy is a good word to describe them now, they miss that hard edge and firm target that Mandzukic gave them. Petkovic when he came on seemed completely out of synch like when Perisic put that cross into the area and there wasnt a single Croatian player in the box.

surfer

Post by surfer »

DarkAttraktor wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:09 pm
NED-UKR best game of the tournament so far
de Boer is a complete moron, they were up two goals and he takes off defenders and puts on attackers. Great entertainment but completely bonkers game management. Ukraine is a decent squad, not sure about their defense though. they could possibly be a darkhorse, definitely more than Turkey or North Macedonia, both of whom looked wretched. Czechs also look fun, what a worldie from Schick! Sweden is the most boring team in the tournament, and Spain is pretty dull too. I dont get teams employing Morata, maybe he plays better when I dont watch him.

surfer

Post by surfer »

DarkAttraktor wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:30 pm

i just hope that the late goal trashtalk by Arnautovic directed towards the Macedonian defense wasn't some nationalist idiocy.
That was bizarre, he was furious at someone, and then Alaba grabbing his cheeks and squeezing them. Someone else slapped him hard. I didnt get what was going on and none of the commentators seemed to know either. Arnautovic is a tool though, I think Mourinho said he is a "fantastic football player with the attitude of a child."

surfer

Post by surfer »

Surprised by how much penetration Hungary are achieving, pretty even match. World class save from the Rats #1 on Fernandes!

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:57 pm
That's nice: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQIbbREAXo5/
I was watching the Fabrice Muamba match live back in 2012 when he collapsed from cardiac arrest in the Bolton v Spurs FA Cup tie. He had to retire from football, although his heart stopped for something crazy like an hour iirc. I wonder if Eriksen will ever play football again. I wonder how worth it it would be to him to continue, he doesnt seem like he has a lot left to prove.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Marko Arnautovic would like to apologize for the behavior of his passion.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

i'm still not getting to quality watch any of the games ... be it work or coming from a family hike to the hotel on saturday (where there's a real and proper telly!) to switch on twenty minutes into the denmark finland game :| ...

the favorites are being the favorites? i've seen an x-goals thing which had france at something like 0.4 but still they easily dominated and will only get sharper (and with a kante pogba midfield they immediately look oiled like a top league team). i tipped italy to win it all (but to lose the group to turkey, haha) and they might, and portugal also look like they mean it.

germany look less than the sum of its parts ... they actually subbed a striker in, but he had to play something like left wingback? i don't really expect löw to solve these things. though it shouldn't be too difficult, kimmich into midfield, sané is hopeless so do like chelsea and play werner even if he embarrasses himself, but together with müller they'd have the necessary energy. so the game against portugal will be super interesting.

funny to be reminded that bale can do the same thing as kane, drop back and reel off the killer passes, like last euros ... what a waste his spurs season was.

my boy is accumulating strategies for tipping as he goes (when in doubt, never go for a draw, as it can't give you the 3 points), but most of all he enjoys me being bottom of the table, so if please nobody would drop below the wombatz. thank you.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Disappointed. In Lutz not giving his adopted team his full backing! Some member of the Tartan Army you are!

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

ha! i clean forgot whom i was supposed to be rooting for. i did have them as group winners back when i still remembered though.

dark attractor forgot to kicktipp.

boring boring games ...

surfer

Post by surfer »

My son's strategy appears to be trying to "shoot the moon" as if we were playing Hearts.