Futbol '23-'24

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

Wombatz

Re: Futbol '23-'24

Post by Wombatz »

werner had a couple of smaller injuries, whiich didn't help, but mostly it's what i described above, rats want to play respectable ball and his main strength is when things go off the rails a little, so theoretically he's the perfect fit for ange. he needs trust so ange might be the perfect fit for him. (also he didn't just win the cl but was absolute key in tüchel's plan, him running through on the left was the one obvious move chelsea had yet pep could do nothing against it.) i expect it will either click in the first few games or not at all.

both poulsen and forsberg before the latter went over the pond. it's probably not a coincidence because (more than stuff like good hold-up play etc) they give identity to the team.

huh, what do bayern want with dier (if it's true)?

not following the 2nd bundesliga really, but st pauli are in second? obv i endorse the club's leftist outlook (and if i remember correctly they don't even participate in the rats bashing too much but recognize the somewhat related refugee-friendly etc leanings of the plastic fans over here).

surfer

Post by surfer »

St Pauli were top when I last checked but it looks like they had a slew of draws and sit second in the winter break. I dont know anything about their 30 year old American coach, but it would be nice story to see them get promoted. Maybe Antoine would make an appearance on this thread!

Dier is only 29, he's a fine option for a team that doesnt play an aggressively high line or require abnormal levels of close control and passing. He doesnt give away penalties, generally keeps his cool (when family members arent being verbally threatened), is positionally sounds, good in the air, and is a solid locker room presence and squad player. Toby and Jan played into their 30s (Toby is a better passer, and Jan has a better touch than Dier, but Dier is better at blocking shots). As with Dragusin, I assume he is being acquired for depth and occasional spot starts, so I assume it will work out fine and Tuchel knows what he is getting.

Spurs have really improved their transfer dealing over the past 2 years or so, and credit to Paratici if indeed he is still involved and consulting. So many of our transfers have really seem to have been successes. Vicario in particular seems like an incredible steal. The only recent transfers that dont seem to be working out are Spence, Sessegnon (possibly pre Paratici), Gil. Jury still out on Johnson, Richarlison, Solomon. But getting Werner and Dragusin in early and making them available potentially for the United match is unheard of in the Levy era.

https://theathletic.com/5182993/2024/01 ... -dragusin/

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Crazy hearing about St. Pauli cause a guy I know played for them a number of years back and was a part of the team that won promotion back in 2010. Then they cut him before the Bundesliga season started which was a real bummer.

Also saw the Dier headline and feel like it might be the best piece of business Ange will do this season. I might be harsh on Dier but I have never seen him play and think he was anything but a liability. Of course I don't watch all the Spurs games so my sample size isn't what yours would be, Surfer.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

watching the city game, we thought it was a foul on vicario, since dias walked into him twice during that scene ... otoh he'd done that every corner and we had already wondered why nobody did anything about that earlier, so clearly a lack of smarts. also why didn't they get the ball to werner sometimes, who made such pretty runs. and why didn't they play long sometimes, at least to threaten with that possibility instead of tortuously and dangerously passing through the press always.

rats could oh so use werner right now. and they miss forsberg. pretty bonkers to let them both leave in mid-season. three losses this year, and mostly deserved. slaughtered by stuttgart (well, that was fun, tbf), out of the top 4. i guess they will stabilize at some point but it's not easy to see a perspective. they need a less principled coach.

kloppo on farewell tour and pundits here already mention the name nagelsmann. don't do it roger.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:10 pm
watching the city game, we thought it was a foul on vicario, since dias walked into him twice during that scene ... otoh he'd done that every corner and we had already wondered why nobody did anything about that earlier, so clearly a lack of smarts. also why didn't they get the ball to werner sometimes, who made such pretty runs. and why didn't they play long sometimes, at least to threaten with that possibility instead of tortuously and dangerously passing through the press always.
I thought the same thing myself. Agree 100%. Dont have much to add except two things: Kulusevski cant play in the #10, he's got the Lamela-itis of slow ball progression and very few through balls and one touch passing. He never played Werner through, and agreed that Werner was consistently making dangerous runs behind. Actually one time he was played through and it was one of their best chances. Second observation is that Johnson really doesnt offer much: delivery, shooting, taking on his man from wide positions, passing generally. He's young and needs to develop, so to the bench he goes now that Maddison is back, move Kulusevski back into the wide right role.
slaughtered by stuttgart (well, that was fun, tbf), out of the top 4. i guess they will stabilize at some point but it's not easy to see a perspective. they need a less principled coach.
I watched the whole Leverkusen match with attention and interest. What a entertaining match! Probably one the the most entertaining I've seen all year. Rats played (going forward) excellent, really dangerous, precise quick buildup and passing, great energy. Xavi, what a player, MOTM for Rats. His goal was Dele-esque. I was really impressed, but they were sadly undone by two isolated defensive lapses: the LB just fell asleep at the back post ball watching, just unexcusable, Sunday-league level lapse in concentration. The counterattack goal was brilliant one-touch stuff. Leverkusen's set piece goals, you just need to defend them better, track the runners, be a bit tighter. I thought Rats were much the better team but the defensive frailties are just hard to stomach because they played so well.
kloppo on farewell tour and pundits here already mention the name nagelsmann. don't do it roger.
Surely its Xabi, no? Why would they go with Nagelsmann, and why would Xabi stay at Leverkusen (unfinished business and all that if they dont win the league but jobs like Liverpool dont open up every day.)

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:38 pm
Rats played (going forward) excellent, really dangerous, precise quick buildup and passing, great energy. Xavi, what a player, MOTM for Rats. His goal was Dele-esque. I was really impressed, but they were sadly undone by two isolated defensive lapses ...
i think yes and no ... in the end it will be isolated lapses, but they're sort of built into the system, because everyone is sticking to a plan instead of doing what the game requires ... they have an excellent plan and as long as everything falls into place they're about the best team in the league. but they cannot dig in, or work their way into a game, or (as was the previous fashion, i've often said it) unsettle opponents by unpredictable (even to themselves) play, etc. etc.

is anyone following afcon more closely? just watching some minutes here and there, enjoying stories like cape verde and the fact that the top scorer is a 34-year-old defender from the third spanish league, but damn is the football shaky and i feel like i have to root for favorites morocco now to keep my hopes up for any african team making inroards into the next world cup (again) ...

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

(oh and the idea is xabi already has a handshake agreement with real, even if it takes a tad longer)

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:20 am

is anyone following afcon more closely? just watching some minutes here and there, enjoying stories like cape verde and the fact that the top scorer is a 34-year-old defender from the third spanish league, but damn is the football shaky and i feel like i have to root for favorites morocco now to keep my hopes up for any african team making inroards into the next world cup (again) ...
I havent watched a single minute, not even highlights. I will watch Guinea from here on out, since I lived there for two+ years back in the 90s. Morocoo lost today, Senegal is out. Not sure who the favorite is now, maybe the hosts. But I would assume any team that can field: Osimhen, Lookman, Iheanacho, Chukwueze, and Iwobi should probably win going away. They need to play all of them in a 5-0-5. (The fact that they are fielding Calvin Bassey though probably cancels all that out - see previous post).

surfer

Post by surfer »

Sankt Pauli, 4 points clear at the top, still undefeated. 10 wins 9 draws!

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

(indeed, that's how you use werner correctly)

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Madrid is the only thing that could possibly fuck up our chance for Xabi Alonso. I have not heard chatter of Nagelsmann but yes, that would be, suboptimal lol.

I've lived through the Woy and Brendo eras so no matter what happens I should be ok, but yes, this not great news, because even if Xabi takes the job in the short term, I'm imagine that ultimately he won't be able to say no to Madrid when they come calling [and why would he?].

This is an aside but I will never forgive Benitez for publicly trying to cast Xabi off for Garreth Barry lol.

Whoever ends up taking the job, they need to have a forward thinking philosophy and they need TIME. I always go back to reading that Fergie's first 5 years at United were abysmal. Him, Arsene, and now Klopp/Pep are going to enjoy good legacies and they all involved extended tenures [by modern standards at least]. It's probably more a symptom of how shitty the state of the game is at this point, which I think Chelsea were a huge part of ushering the "instant results or death" era. Idk, I feel like I'm rambling at this point.

I have not watched a minute of AFCON action myself. Can barely watch the international tournaments I like at this point as it is.

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Was really hoping to see Leverkusen and Girona win today but I guess 1 was enough.

Feels like City closing in, I guess it was too much to hope Everton would do us a favor lol. Even though teams in the relegation zone to surprise sometimes. Can't be upset, it was in our hands and they bottled it. I may be getting ahead of myself since there are plenty of point to play for but you know, the history of disappointment is a lot to overcome lol.

Really feel like Leverkusen can do it now. Very exciting, curious what Xabi ends up doing next season either way [as we've already discussed].

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

bah, girona are part of the evil empire, and also i don't care for leverkusen, stuttgart are the real feel-good story, not just fighting relegation in the last two seasons but age-old chaos in the hierarchy, that guy mislintat, etc. first they repaired that, then they got a great coach who barely saved them. that they've now managed to compensate for the absence of guirassy after a few losses is super impressive.

bah, another brisk, very respectable performance from rats. only somehow they tried shooting holes into the goalie. werner wouldn't have helped the abysmal finishing.