World Cup 2022

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

surfer

World Cup 2022

Post by surfer »

Other than the England match, which I didnt watch, pretty underwhelming so far. The opening match had the joint fewest shots on target of any WC match in history, Netherlands Senegal was dull, US Wales wasnt too bad. US played surprisingly well in the first half, some very energetic pressing combined with pace and some technical skill (great goal and finish by Weah), but the second half flipped once they brought on Kieffer Moore, his hold up play and aerial threat gave the US big problems. Tomorrow's menu looks pretty unappetizing, at least three look like one-sided blowouts.

DarkAttraktor

Re: World Cup 2022

Post by DarkAttraktor »

i honestly thought there is going to be an unspoken forum-wide moratorium on Qatar WC 2022 activities

on the general tone surf just established - SEN - NL was such a masochistic piece of football to watch. the dismal sight of the Senegalese running down the flanks, launching a counterattack for the 20th time in the game after yet another sloppy Dutch possession in the midfield only to just cluelessly hand right it over to Dutch, miscommunicate with one another, without a faintest idea how to finish off in a typical situation.

Senegal lost the game around 30 meters from Dutch goal after it was made apparent to everyone watching that they wouldn't have scored even if they played 2 days with the Dutch. having Mane in there doesn't change things too much. the communication upfront is just shambolic.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

DarkAttraktor wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:14 pm
i honestly thought there is going to be an unspoken forum-wide moratorium on Qatar WC 2022 activities
personally i'm not into that holier than thou isolationist boycot thing (and for strictly moral reasons would have to boycot anything with u.s. involvement too) ... it was worth it already for the iran protest ... now wear them fucking armbands, bring down fifa ... and if only there were some real surprises, but, as you say, senegal (while probably the most positive african team, i thought) were depressing (though really they only conceded because mendy is a shadow of his tüchel self). where's the really dark horses if making it out of the group stage is the limit anyway ... maybe enlargening it all to 48 mostly shambolic teams and having ever more league games for the players to cope with could help?

edit: ahaha, as soon as i write this, saudi arabia beat argentina :D

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

what a defensive clinic by the Saudis ! :D

ARG all of a sudden looks like they haven't progressed one inch from 2018.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

ah, another nice result. this was even funnier since japan had to be coaxed into the game.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

didn't watch the game but i am so happy for longtime Partizan striker Asano to seal the deal for Japan.

always wondered how did our front office managed to nab a guy that good. that first touch, so velvet soft but also direct, functional and opportunistic. criminally underrated player :P

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

i didn't see richie do anything like that for spurs yet :o

so, one game in and it looks like only spain or brasil could rightfully win this ... which might very well mean no sleep till the semis for harry ...

Return to “I Hate Sports”