Futbol 2021-22

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

Wombatz

Re: Futbol 2021-22

Post by Wombatz »

so, first title ever for rats. though in a way it was like the previous two cup finals and they didn't turn up at all. awful game. until that shocking non-call, the (supposedly unintentional but absolutely blatant) handball as assist to the freiburg goal. from here, everything could have quickly spiraled downward ... and it kind of looked like it would with the justified red card. but no, rats showed some spine instead (well, against a freiburg trying to do a cuddly sort of atletico), nkunku made his goal (if little else) ... then there was another very strange non-call for a rats penalty (ok, maybe the freiburg boot grazed the ball, but then the ball was still in play for rats when boot and leg went through the player) and i'm so happy that rats won in the end (good pens! we knew that gulacsi wouldn't save a single one, but obviously by that time karma had kicked in) cos else we'd only be hearing about being cheated by the ref ... whereas the way it went winning against the ref offered more of a palpable sense of achievement than winning against freiburg, so good job all.

laimer and nkunku are the key players to this team, if they go, it's another fresh start. verdict on tedesco is still out, clearly he's much better than jesse marsch (but then marsch is a walking us soccer cliche, what was that about pep talks on mother teresa and the ukraine war in the leeds dressing room?) yet his subs just don't make sense (they so much needed poulsen in there why bring everybody else instead) and there's clearly something fake about his fistpumps. next season leverkusen will probably be closest to an unconvincing bayern challenger as dortmund also insist on a reboot separating from their manager (who did ok), presumably for the previous stopgap (whom everybody loved when he did almost as ok as a totally inexperienced caretaker part of the previous season ... yet it's highly doubtful if he can recapture the mood).

there'll be no surprises today, i'm afraid.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

oh and the new mbappe saint germain is super funny, of course, will he fire messi or get satisfaction from bossing him around? who could possibly want to be manager now, maradona seems a perfect fit, even if he's dead ...

surfer

Post by surfer »

Congrats Lutz, and apologies for my ongoing absence. Major changes in my life mean my attention has been pulled elsewhere, although I have watched the CL semis and all the Spurs PL matches. There's obviously lots to be optimistic about going into next year, not least of which is the $150 million that ENIC has injected into the club for transfer window targets. I think Conte's consistent lineups have shown that the team is pretty settled. Areas to upgrade would be wingbacks. I think if you look at City and Liverpool the one big difference between their roster and everyone else is the quality of their wingbacks: Cancelo, Walker, TAA, Robertson. Emerson isnt at that level obviously, he offers little going forward. Sessegnon is OK and young, Doherty was good going forward but gives me serious pause as a defender, and Reguillon has really had a poor year. Dier / Romero / Davies is fine but Conte probably wants to strengthen and not sure if Sanchez is his type of player, so poor on the ball. I think he has value so I'd be in favor of selling Sanchez. Hojbjerg / Betancour / Skipp are fine coverage for CDM. I would keep Moura and sell Bergwijn, who has value and can be sold. We've needed a backup striker and keeper for ages. Sell Winks, and try to unload Ndombele, and not sure if Lo Celso is permanent to Villareal but I'm sure they activate the buy clause.

This year has been such a rollercoaster: Nuno was bad enough in terms of overall performance that his sacking was necessary, but his points tally was good enough that a salvage job was still possible. Conte comes in and draws Southampton, loses away at Burnley, needs two goals in stoppage time to beat Leicester. The January transfer window has had a greater transformative effect than any other teams January window I can ever remember. Without Kulusevski and Betancour, there's no way we finish 4th. Full credit to Paratici and Conte, and Levy for getting out of their way. It does seem like for the time being we have a management structure that is working, and even though our core is somewhat old, esp Kane and Son and Dier and Lloris, we have a new infusion of youth and a vision for how to play.

Happy to see Everton stay up and Dele contribute positively to their survival. Marsch and Leeds survive, and credit to him for coming into difficult situation with lots of key injured players and getting them some key wins. I dont think he survives to the end of next year, and I have no idea what kind of coach he will turn out to be, but at least he has earned another season. Three terrible teams going down: Norwich is the worst PL team Ive ever seen in 15 years. Norwich has the same goals tally for the season as Son: 23; the fewest team goals scored in all of Europe's top 5 leagues, and the fewest by any team in the top four divisions of English football. Watford were abject, and Burnley at least had some fight but good riddance and I hope they dont come back up for a while.

Anyone have a sense of the CL final? I think Liverpool will win but wouldnt be shocked if Madrid win because Liverpool has seemed off the pace lately and if they arent playing with 100% energy and focus it doesnt really click for them. Madrid will bide their time and wait for their moment, plus they havent had a meaningful match in weeks.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Bumping from 2015:
surfer wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:59 am

From the Secret Footballer website:

I met up with my friend, an Arsenal scout, last week.

We talked through players and clubs and he noted that Chelsea’s problems are all being caused by in-house feuding among the players, who are all pointing fingers at one another.

The worst, he told me, is Cesc Fabregas.

I pointed out that Tottenham Hotspur’s summer recruit, Son Heung-min, is one of the most impressive players I’ve seen at White Hart Lane since Gareth Bale.

Immediately, the scout took his phone out of his pocket and showed me a scouting report from last season. This is how it read …

* Scares the life out of defences. Feet are scarily quick, can turn in any direction.

* Keeps his shape, good discipline, counters quickly, carries the ball a long way up the pitch, aware of team-mates in better positions.

* Scores goals from great positions in the box that others don’t take up (Ljungberg). Hard to pick up and track.

* Fit, doesn’t stop working.

* Different to anything that we have in the building.

* CAN PLAY FOR US ALL DAY LONG!!

That was one of several reports he showed me that got better and better.

Arsenal watched Son almost 30 times last season, with all the scouts in agreement that the player would be a fantastic addition.

So what happened?

“It’s Arsene [Wenger],” the scout said. “He’s so indecisive it’s frightening. We had [Morgan] Schneiderlin done and dusted last January and, by the summer, the gaffer had changed his mind. Son was 100 per cent perfect for us.”

As somebody who can spot a player in a Category 5 hurricane, I’m telling you that Arsenal should have signed Son.

Arsenal watched Son almost 30 times last season

He was, indeed, perfect for them and, before he sustained a foot injury, he was the standout performer for Spurs.

At £20.7 million, he may well prove to be the bargain that got away where Arsenal are concerned.

Incidentally, I asked the Arsenal scout about Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus, who I know the club have watched extensively for two years.

“Not for us now,” the scout said. “We’ve got enough of those players.”

Reus scored two goals in Dortmund’s 5-1 win over FC Augsburg on Sunday, by the way.

Sorry, Arsenal fans.

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/arti ... a/#slide-2

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:55 pm
Anyone have a sense of the CL final? I think Liverpool will win but wouldnt be shocked if Madrid win because Liverpool has seemed off the pace lately and if they arent playing with 100% energy and focus it doesnt really click for them. Madrid will bide their time and wait for their moment, plus they havent had a meaningful match in weeks.
yeah no idea. i will of course be rooting for the underdog :ugeek:

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Gutted the Reds couldn't lift the CL trophy again but it just felt like Madrid winning was written in the stars this year. They just had such an insane run that I can't even be upset.

Curious to see where the team goes from here.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

commiserations! the big story in the german media was how toni kroos broke off his post-match interview when the reporter kept asking if he was surprised how much real had struggled to contain rampant liverpool, because already in the semis ... though of course it was rather surprising how little suffering there was (on the pitch as ooposed to in front of the stadium gates) and how much liverpool managed to keep their opponents in their comfort zone. yes, courtois made outstanding saves, but the kind of outstanding safe you'd expect him to make. the fact that benzema could pretty much afford an off-day says it all. so i prefer the explanation that liverpool simply weren't quite up to the task (plus we kept shouting for a final divock origi appearance, which clearly would have made all the difference, but he wasn't even on the bench).

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

I'll def. buy into the "Liverpool were off" explanation also because they certainly were, it's just that they were off for cosmic reasons. ;)

I had the same thought about Divock also, felt like a moment where we could have used some of that bizarro magic of his before he moves on.

Looks like it'll just have to be Liverpool and Milan in Istanbul next year lol.

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Also how are Spurs fans feeling about Perisic in on a free? Feels like a decent start to the transfer window for them.

surfer

Post by surfer »

roger.haddad. wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 9:50 pm
Also how are Spurs fans feeling about Perisic in on a free? Feels like a decent start to the transfer window for them.
Hey Roger, condolences on the CL loss.

Perisic is a good pickup, even at 33 he's still in great shape. He's from Split, the same as my mother's family and played in Hajduk youth system.

In terms of his footballing skills, he is very very similar to Son: ambipedal, can finish with both feet, prefers playing on left, pacey (fastest player on Croatian national team), in superb shape, will track back. Can lead the line but is not particularly good at it, sub par hold up play. Prefers to run at defenders 1:1 and into space. Loves the quick step-over and push the ball onto his left foot. Decent crosser. Decent passer too but not elite.
Not sure about his ability to defend deep and behind the ball. Is not the outside the box sniper that Son can be. But year he and Son are very similar in how they play and their footballing characteristics. Great signing, he's been Croatian national team's main scoring threat for quite a while, at least since Manzukic retired.

I hear they're after Bastoni now, but Bastoni doesnt want to leave Italy. I heard a crazy stat that I had to confirm because I didnt believe it. There are only 2 Italian players in the entire PL. Jorginho, and Ogbonna on West Ham. I guess they dont like to leave the motherland.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Since I havent watched as much Rat ball as I did last year, Lutz can you tell me how good you think Gvardiol is going to be, or is? The valuations swirling around him are dizzying. He hasnt played much for the national team (10 caps). Loosely linked to Spurs but they probably cant afford what Rats are asking.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:34 pm
Since I havent watched as much Rat ball as I did last year, Lutz can you tell me how good you think Gvardiol is going to be, or is? The valuations swirling around him are dizzying. He hasnt played much for the national team (10 caps). Loosely linked to Spurs but they probably cant afford what Rats are asking.
we're mostly watching rats games in the background, more focusing on the pl these days. anyway he's more than solid, robust, and full of energy, with good timing on the tackle (but hey we're still longing for the glory days of upamecano/konate, and he does not have their flair for opening up the game from their own box with a simple drop of the shoulder (btw, watching liverpool i was happy to see konate do that again (while upamecano is still struggling to be himself at bayern))) ... it's also hard to tell because rats are such a team team so in bad games he has looked pretty bad, but then again because laimer has been such a beast directly in front of him, so in good games he has sometimes been unremarkable. anyway he should stay at rats for another season and then we'll know if he can go from very good to possibly great.

surfer

Post by surfer »

I'd definitely call this "backing Conte". Is there an available player we havent been linked with? Very exciting. Hopefully we can swing a deal with Villareal for Lo Celso <--> Torres

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Love Ronaldo asking for a transfer at this point in the window. Sad to see Mane go but nice to let players go if they don't want to stick around.

surfer

Post by surfer »

The Women's Final is worth a mention, the second half and extra time were hugely entertaining. The first England goal: the pass from Walsh and the finish from Toone were world class. Match really opened up after that. The German goal was so well worked and clinical. Two very evenly matched and balanced teams with the run of play swinging metronomically. The winner was suitably scrappy for an extra time that got really physical towards the end. After an understandably cagey first half, it turned into one of the better tournament finals I can ever remember.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

over here it's all about the penalty that wasn't given ... we germans sure are sore losers ... i just saw a few parts of this and was surprised by the level to which both teams used the dark arts, blocking paths, jumping into goalies, etc.

rats want werner back. this of course could go completey wrong, not sure if rats still play the old style or any style at all. still it makes sense for both sides to try ... should it all click, they might compete, else they're just playing for 4th again anyway.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

:lol: