Futbol 2021-22

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

Wombatz

Futbol 2021-22

Post by Wombatz »

starting this thread quickly on a bright note right after this season's highlight ... same as last season's highlight. probably spurs will lose focus even quicker this year but that was nice. we want kane to be let gone so he can be the first player to leave totties and not win a title with his next team since dunno when. also change without immediate improvement would still be better than the exact same dross again.

rats were on a level of awfulness that last season they'd reserved for the important games. of course it's the first game of the season, but attitude-wise that was already a very bad omen.

i don't quite get the many recent laments about the loss of soul in football beacuse messi now being with psg, lukaku with chelsea, or kane to city, etc. is supposedly as bad as the super league. i'm curious to see how these constellations will work (only one of them being an obviously good idea) and will root against them hard (well, except i like both tüchel and lukaku). it is fine to have the little guys vs the big guys (and contrary to other sports, the little guys can beat the big guys quite often). also bundesliga is boring because there are lots of rules that make it quasi impossible for smaller clubs to grow (the rats success story already was more than borderline illegal) and shake up what little hierarchy there is. underlying this all there's a totally unrealistic ideal of football as living fan culture ... ignoring that it's necessary for this fan culture to change, because it is based in irrational hatred, racism, etc. to a large extent. it is good when the baddie is officially defined by having tons of money, not by some ingrained otherness. (while obviously some framework of ffp would not only be fine but necessary for the clubs themselves (see spain).)

surfer

Re: Futbol 2021-22

Post by surfer »

Thank you for starting this thread Lutz, I've been a bit mentally elsewhere this summer, but am very much looking forward to this season. I was optimistic heading into yesterday not that we would win, but that there would be positivity, intent, and desire to attack, and the team showed all that and more. Tanganga and Moura, Men of the Match on offense and defense, but the crowd and the sound of that stadium was perhaps what everyone will remember. I wont get too carried away with one win, the team has major deficiencies that will preclude anything other than a tangential Top 4 challenge. The team clearly needs a striker (as does City), and Son, despite scoring the winner, is simply too one-dimensional. His linkup play is very poor, and his judgement in the final third was lacking all day. He is and has always been most effective when he gets the ball on the flank or inside channel and is allowed to cut inside 1 on1 against a backpedalling defender. The fact that he can finish effectively with either foot means you cant shade him one way or the other. But he is completely useless in the air, and hold up play non-existent.

I have no issue with selling Kane for upwards of $120 million but I dont think Paratici or Levy can sign a striker in the next two weeks unless they sell Kane tomorrow. They are better off keeping him and selling him for 60 or 70 million next summer early in the window.

Lutz is right in that this level of focus is unsustainable for Spurs and will be seen as a blip on the City steamroll. Spurs season really hinges on how well and quickly they can integrate Gil, Romero, not to mention Lo Celso and Ndombele. Doherty needs to be brought back form the dead by his old coach. Maybe a three CB back line with Doherty and Reguillon as true wingbacks. Still not convinced Dele can by a #10 against top teams.
Skipp was fine but maybe too Winks 2.0 in the long run.

In addition to Atalanta (and how Gasperini responds to losing so many players - Zapata looks like he's off to Inter) and Leipzig, keeping my eye on Rayo Vallecano, the "St Pauli of La LIga", who lost this weekend after Zidane's son (a keeper) got sent off in the first half for a ridiculous panic foul, leading to a brace from Sevilla's Erik Lamela.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

(our current football grounds:)

surfer

Post by surfer »

Nice pitch. Always have to be careful about errant shots going deep into the woods, especially if there is a creek.

Our Sunday League is set to restart for the first time in 18 months on Sept 12. I am in the process of designing our new badge and kit. I will show it to you when I am done. The league is moving to new grounds, and the pitch is better although still very bumpy. It is adjacent (parallel) to Highway 1 and there is a deep creek at one end of one of the pitches (there are 3 pitches and 3 matches going on at any one time). If your shot (or clearance) loses a ball, you're responsible for replacing it (for whichever team supplied the balls for that match).

I didnt see it but Rats blew out Stuttgart, so maybe they're getting their boots on.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

rats can still win the europa league!

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wow, Rats get shafted with that draw, yowza. Group F is where the action is at though, that will be the most fun group. Poor Malmo, I'll root for them for approximately 1.5 secs.

So I should say that I am happy that Kane stays at Spurs, I didnt think he was going to leave but now they can try to figure out their best lineup. I would like to see them try to play 3-3-1-3 with wingbacks. Tanganga-Romero-Sanchez. I think Reguillon and Doherty play better farther up the pitch. Hojbjerg as the DM. Dele/GLC as the #10. Son - Kane - Moura/Bergwjin/Gil on the right. Not sure who is best there. I'm not convinced by Skipp yet. Ndombele is on the outs I guess. This is probably too attacking for Nuno, who is a fairly conservative tactician. I found Sunday's match against Wolves to be fairly boring, and although undoubtedly their shape and organization and commitment is much better under Nuno, after two 1-0 matches, this is really just counterattcking Mourinho-ball but with a kinder gentler hipster beard. If the results keep coming fine, but let's not pretend this is 180 degrees different than what we were doing last year. Wolves had 27 shots (only 6 on target) to Spurs 7 (5 on target), and 60% possession. I know City and Wolves both have above average midfields, but Spurs havent really addressed their midfield issues other than trying to sell Skipp as an upgrade on Winks. Spurs still play very vertically, very direct, and I dont see that changing unless they a creative midfielder in the #10. Dele has been good in the role he's been asked to do though, I just dont know if he's the answer there in the #10 role.

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:39 pm
Wow, Rats get shafted with that draw, yowza. Group F is where the action is at though, that will be the most fun group. Poor Malmo, I'll root for them for approximately 1.5 secs.

So I should say that I am happy that Kane stays at Spurs, I didnt think he was going to leave but now they can try to figure out their best lineup. I would like to see them try to play 3-3-1-3 with wingbacks. Tanganga-Romero-Sanchez. I think Reguillon and Doherty play better farther up the pitch. Hojbjerg as the DM. Dele/GLC as the #10. Son - Kane - Moura/Bergwjin/Gil on the right. Not sure who is best there. I'm not convinced by Skipp yet. Ndombele is on the outs I guess. This is probably too attacking for Nuno, who is a fairly conservative tactician. I found Sunday's match against Wolves to be fairly boring, and although undoubtedly their shape and organization and commitment is much better under Nuno, after two 1-0 matches, this is really just counterattcking Mourinho-ball but with a kinder gentler hipster beard. If the results keep coming fine, but let's not pretend this is 180 degrees different than what we were doing last year. Wolves had 27 shots (only 6 on target) to Spurs 7 (5 on target), and Wolves 60% possession. I know City and Wolves both have above average midfields, but Spurs havent really addressed their midfield issues other than trying to market Skipp as an upgrade on Winks. Spurs still play very vertically, very direct, and I dont see that changing unless they a creative midfielder in the #10. Dele has been good in the role he's been asked to do though, I just dont know if he's the answer there in the #10 role.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

and sabitzer off to bayern ... no challenger for the bundesliga title in sight anyway :(

surfer

Post by surfer »

Yeah its not a good look for a league when the team who finished 2nd has the two center backs, the captain, and the coach poached by the team that finished first. Bayern did the same thing to Dortmund and Goetze / Lewandowski. Its going to be tough for Rats and it will take some time for them to find their feet again, esp with Bayern and City as their next two matches. $16 mil for Sabitzer seems low as well, he would have fit in well with Spurs need for a well rounded box-to-box midfielder who can score and has creative instincts. I dont understand this reported Spurs interest in Adama Traore, he's exactly the type of player they dont need, brute force and pace with no creativity (he does have good feet) and no ability to score at all.

Spurs win against Watford was more of the same defensive solidity at one end, and at the other end limited chance creation. Kane looked off the boil, Son and Bergwijn had moments but it didnt kick into gear until Moura started running at players and breaking lines. They really need another creative midfielder or to unlock the potential in Lo Celso / Ndombele. Lo Celso is off for S American WC Qualifiers and will have to quarantine when he gets back so potentially he could be out for weeks and not able to train.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Watched the last 25 minutes of Koln v Rats which was exciting. I thought Nkunku was going to put them ahead when he was through on goal, when Ehizibue I think executed one of the most incredible tackles I've ever seen (not kidding) in the box to poke it away just as Nkunku was about to shoot.

The midweek CL was pretty great too, the Liverpool v Milan was electric. I have to say I just dont quite get Rebic, for club teams like Frankfurt and here in Milan he looks, skilled? Its such a night and day difference between his play for Croatia, he looks like not just a different player but a different person. With Croatia in such need of a strong decisive striker its disheartening he cannot put together any kind of form for country. He looked great for Milan, I dont get it. Would love to see Pioli somehow wedge Ibra, Giroud, and Rebic into that lineup. Giroud as the #9, Ibra as the #10, and Rebic out wide. Could work!

City v Rats was equally incredible although I only watched the highlights. Whatever his faults, Rats so dearly miss Upamecano who looks great for Bayern. They just get bullied in central defense and Klosterman at all.

United had me laughing in my seat, I really do think Atalanta can get out of that group.

Not looking forward to Chelsea v Spurs tomorrow, although I have a Sunday League game at the same time so I'm not sure I will even watch it live. For the best I suppose.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Barney Ronay called Nuno "a very wise, very sad, dying Jedi" which is in contrast to most previous Spurs managers of the last 15 years who all seem to be wheeler dealers, salesman, corporate portfolio managers. Im not sure where he's taking this team, but he probably has a full year without a lot of pressure because no one is expecting anything, not even a cup run. And he can organize a defense. But it is looking, in retrospect, like Levy should have sold Kane, because the talismatic aspect of Kane gravity could turn into a weight. The midfield continues to be a complete muddle, with a bunch of pieces that dont fit together. GLC and Ndombele and Gil more or less still unknown quantities, and wingbacks that dont really create. North London derby on Sunday with both teams mirroring weirdly trending in opposite directions.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

that's what we said the whole time :? let him go, else it'll be more of the same old only even more depressing. give the jedi a chance to seppuku on a lightsaber of his own color.

rats are also depressing. but i guess we have to adjust our expectations, they're struggling valiantly. it's just that as of yet there never has been a step back (of this magnitude). when upamecano was injured then they still had konaté, losing both of them is lethal and losing sabitzer makes the team even softer. i guess they could still gel sufficiently for a 4th-place finish, but they have to get some results quickly.

how i hate it that everybody's a tüchel fan now (come down off it, it was only against spurs), but actually that second half did answer the question if chelsea could still play the way they won the cl, with malfunctioning parts intelligently ordered around the pitch until they force a happy accident to happen, even if their new focus lukaku has an off day and kinda blocks the box ... can they play around him? yes they can. so obviously they are very serious title contenders.

Return to “I Hate Sports”