Futbol 2020-21

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

Antoine

Re: Futbol 2020-21

Post by Antoine »

Unexpected (and flattering) win for PSG tonight

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:57 pm
Unexpected (and flattering) win for PSG tonight
Schnee (live) - Sometimes It Snows in April

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Sometimes I feel the under soil heating!

surfer

Post by surfer »

"Bread is bread and cheese is cheese."

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

i did not really understand that discussion. both rashford and fernandez flopped more obviously (i.e., without an actual hand in their face) and theatrically in that self-same game. anyway, a win in that silly cup over city would be nice but seems hardly possible by now ... surly pep won't feel the need to overthink spurs? (same goes for the cl, every team still left there has such obvious flaws that it's hard to see who could beat city ... probably real as they are best at winning games against rhyme or reason) ... and then, what could conceivably happen to make next season more fun? (a good start would be not waiting till the end of the season but firing mou the morning after he triumphantly wins the caraboa cup.) kane will try to leave but be prevented from doing so so whoever comes in will probably be doomed from the start?

surfer

Post by surfer »

Perhaps I should skip the match and go straight to the press conferences for the real drama. Ole is becoming a real manager and learning from the best with that bizarre tangent about not feeding your kids. But he has a ways to go before he can match the Sith brilliance of Jose lecturing us all on our lack of "moral honesty".

I can only use my own biases as a guide when talking about the completely irrelevant and utterly non-game-changing disallowed goal. There's obviously a lot of grappling that is allowed (Neymar v Hernandez') but when dribblers throw their arm back to fend off defenders and hit them in the face, or in the case of former Spur Mousa Dembele, stiff arm defenders with a palm to the face, I dont see how that's not a foul. It has to be. If you want players to stop going down and staying down, then referees have to call fouls when players DONT go down, and that rarely happens so you cant blame players for going to ground.

Pep will not put anything less than A++ team out there because he will want to put the final stake in Mourinho. I cant see any scenario in which Mourinho survives until next year, and I think the word is that the payout wont be so bad because Jose's contract is heavily incentive-laden, and if he wins no trophies and doesnt qualify for CL then Levy will cut his losses. I think another year of this and more toxicity might cost Levy his job.

Bayern missed Lewandowski more than just about any team could miss a single player, they were pretty dreadful in the final third, and if they had had RL over two legs they would have won comfortably I think.

There was an article in The Athletic but it requires too much tea leaf interpretation for me. Kane apparently is sending signals. I dont think he will leave this summer because the market will be depressed because of loss of revenue across the board. Maybe to petro dollars that doesnt matter but I dont think Levy will get an offer that reaches his price point and Kane is too much of a gentleman to agitate too much. Next summer might be a different story. If Levy brings in a "project manager" and its clear Spurs are rebuilding then no one can blame Kane if he doesnt want to stick around for that. I wouldnt.

I have no idea who Spurs get as their next manager, but I'm almost 100% sure it wont be Nagelsmann.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:10 pm
Pep will not put anything less than A++ team out there because he will want to put the final stake in Mourinho ... I have no idea who Spurs get as their next manager ...
wait that's it ... after winning the quintuple or whatever this year, pep will have no more challenges left at city, and the best way to twist that final stake in mourinho's wound will be to take over the spurs team as is and do the same with them. i'm afraid that means henceforth i'll root against them hard, and may you all choke on the silverware pouring in.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:25 pm
surfer wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:10 pm
Pep will not put anything less than A++ team out there because he will want to put the final stake in Mourinho ... I have no idea who Spurs get as their next manager ...
wait that's it ... after winning the quintuple or whatever this year, pep will have no more challenges left at city, and the best way to twist that final stake in mourinho's wound will be to take over the spurs team as is and do the same with them. i'm afraid that means henceforth i'll root against them hard, and may you all choke on the silverware pouring in.
Whoa whoa whoa. What happened to our plan for Harry as player-manager? That's the only way he's staying!

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Sunday will be interesting in Ligue1 as Lille just made an unexpected draw at home against Montpellier (and almost a defeat, with a 85' goal saving them).
The 3 followers (PSG, ASM, OL) opponents are in the 2nd half of the table.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

so it is happening.
Top European Soccer Teams Form Breakaway League

LONDON — A dozen of the world’s richest and most storied soccer clubs on Sunday announced that they had formed a breakaway European club competition that would, if it comes to fruition, upend the structures, economics and relationships that have bound global soccer for nearly a century.

After months of secret talks, the breakaway teams — which include Real Madrid and Barcelona in Spain; Manchester United and Liverpool in England; and Juventus and A.C. Milan in Italy — confirmed their plans late Sunday. They said they planned to add at least three more founding members, hold midweek matches that would put the league in direct competition with the existing Champions League, and begin play “as soon as practicable.”

“We will help football at every level and take it to its rightful place in the world,” said Real Madrid President Florentino Pérez, who was named the first chairman of what the clubs were calling the Super League.

The league they have agreed to form — an alliance of top clubs closer in concept to closed leagues like the N.F.L. and the N.B.A. than soccer’s current model — would bring about the most significant restructuring of elite European soccer since the 1950s, and could herald the largest transfer of wealth to a small set of teams in modern sports history.

In its current form, European soccer supplements domestic league play — an English league for English teams, a Spanish one for Spanish clubs — with Continental competitions between the best clubs. The most prestigious of those, the Champions League, brings together the best teams from each domestic league each year to play for the title of Europe’s, and arguably the world’s, best club.

The current system funnels hundreds of millions of dollars of annual television and sponsorship revenue to the world’s richest clubs, who supplement their domestic revenue with multimillion-dollar payouts from the Champions League. But the format also sustains smaller teams in each country, who benefit from the gloss of their encounters with the giants and share in the money those teams bring in from broadcasters.

The new superleague model would change that, by stripping the Champions League of its most attractive and most successful teams and effectively walling off the richest clubs in their own closed competition — and allowing them to split the billions of dollars in annual revenue among themselves. According to the Super League’s announcement, the founding clubs will split 3.5 billion euros (almost $4.2 billion) for signing on to establish “a sustainable financial foundation.” The per-team figure means each founding club will receive about $400 million — more than four times what the Champions League winner took home in 2020.

The 12 teams that signed up as founders are, for the moment, limited to a dozen clubs from Spain, Italy and England. A cohort of six teams from the Premier League — United, Liverpool, Manchester City, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham — represents the biggest grouping from a single country. Atlético Madrid is the other team from Spain that is said to have endorsed the project, while the Milan rivals Internazionale and A.C. Milan would join Juventus as Italy’s representatives.

Three more clubs will join as founding — and thus permanent — members, organizers said, and a qualifying mechanism will be created to fill the five other places in the 20-team Super League each season.

A women’s league will be launched as well, the announcement said, presumably including the women’s sides of many of the same clubs.

European soccer officials moved quickly to try to block the project. The Premier League condemned the concept in a statement on Sunday and also sent a letter to its 20 member clubs warning them not to take part. Officials at European soccer’s governing body, UEFA, which runs the Champions League, labeled the proposal for a closed superleague a “cynical project” in a statement.

The missive was co-signed by the Premier League, La Liga in Spain and Italy’s Serie A, as well as the soccer federations of each country. Within hours, France’s federation and the French league had added their voices to the growing opposition inside key European soccer circles. Politicians, including Britain’s prime minister, Boris Johnson, and the French president, Emmanuel Macron, also weighed in to denounce the plans.

But UEFA was taking the threat seriously. Its leaders spent the weekend in discussions about how to block the plan, including banning the breakaway teams from their domestic leagues and blocking their players from competing for their national teams in events like the World Cup. European officials also pointedly reminded the prospective super-league clubs (and, effectively, their players) that soccer’s global governing body, FIFA, has backed their threats of expulsion.

FIFA on Sunday expressed its “disapproval” of the concept of a closed league, but refrained from the type of threats being lobbed by top officials in Europe.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

why isn't psg in there? ... i believe the german clubs really do not want this, they handle their finances responsibly under present conditions, and they have fanbases that are so totally against it (especially dortmund, for whom in some respects this super league would make more sense) the clubs would really "lose their identity," not just figuratively speaking (no sheiks in germany, both for good and bad reasons), in trade for some rather uncertain benefits ... but psg? do the uefa have too much dirt on them?

of course i hugely enjoyed pep losing, and now i will root even harder for sudden good guys psg (despite them firing my man tüchel) to kick him out of the cl ... "humiliated by kaneless spurs" would also be a fine headline (though pep not winning the cl is top priority, i'm afraid).

will nagelsmann go to bayern immediately? i think it would be too early, he should stay at least one more season to shape a contender (sort out the attack) ... as a still pretty much unproven coach he'd have such doubtful standing in the bayern hierarchy it's unthinkable he'd last for long.

p.s. oh wow, is that true? they can't really fire mou a week before his little final? like i said, they should fire him the day after they won that final ... hah, after them being in on the super league, kane now surely trying to be gone as soon as possible, and this rather bad-lookingingly timed decision, my son might just go back to rooting for the rats as he should :-)

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

i don't know why PSG isn't there, this is their natural habitat. i think if PSG would leave the French league i think the clubs would throw a celebration party.
Fabrizio Romano@FabrizioRomano
After Borussia Dortmund statement, also RB Leipzig sources confirmed that they’ve no intention to join #SuperLeague in the next weeks, as SkyDE confirmed. 🇩🇪

BVB CEO Watzke also stated that “FC Bayern and B. Dortmund have 100% compatible views”, both against the #SuperLeague.
the key matchup to watch here will be between the The English FA and the Premier League. iwe are talking about either the 6 clubs getting some form of pressure from the wider Premier League or if that's not possible the FA disbanding the Premier League altogether.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

also Mourinho got the sack because apparently he didn't want to take players on the training ground in protest :lol:

what a sore loser. he used the whole Super Lague show to make a half-assed political statement so it wouldn't look like he was fired because of his results :D

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

George Davidson emails in an interesting thought: “National government may have limited formal powers to stop any super league. But local government may have more, stronger and long forgotten powers. Football Clubs use the name of their towns and cities with the permission of the local council. If Liverpool Council decides it no longer wants Liverpool FC to bear its name, then they could withdraw that right. The club could still exist and play in the new ESL but call itself something else (Red Mersey?) but they could no longer call itself Liverpool. That would be an utterly extraordinary move but maybe even the threat would be something.”

surfer

Post by surfer »

too much happening, cant really process it all.

I am totally against any Super League and probably my interest in Spurs will wane out of sheer boredom. If this happens, what will Spurs be playing for? Six matches into the season, their title campaign will be effectively over, they'll be banned from both domestic cups, and they have no shot at winning this Super League Cup, where they'll finish bottom of the table every year. Which they automatically qualify for every year. Seriously, what are they playing for, 80% of the year will glorified exhibition matches and dead rubbers.

As Jonathan Liew astutely and succinctly put it, "this is an idea that could only have been devised by someone who truly hates football to its bones. Who hates football so much that they want to prune it, gut it, dismember it, from the grassroots game to the World Cup. Who finds the very idea of competitive sport offensive, an unhealthy distraction from the main objective, which in a way has always been capitalism’s main objective. Unchecked and unquestioned, capital has never merely contented itself with a seat at the table, but will invariably demand the power to make its own rules."

PSG isnt included because their owner Nasser Al-Khelaifi is UEFA Exec Committee Chair and also I believe he owns beIN which paid a lot for the rights to UCL coverage. But eventually they have to be one of the founding clubs, seems ridiculous that they wouldnt. Its why there are three slots "reserved". Another will surely go to Bayern, despite their reluctance they will surely join. The last slot is very interesting to me, as I think its unlikely Dortmund will go against their principles. Will Rats be invited? They seem like an obvious choice because they got around the 50+1 rule and are owned by a global conglomerate, and besides all of German football already hate them.

Levy is a disgustingly vain man and all he ever wanted was for Spurs to be a big boy at the big table. "Guys guys? Where are you going guys? Can I come?" But despite that, Spurs were in a difficult position, as they were not the drivers of this. This was going to happen whether or not they joined. Likewise with Arsenal. Doesnt make them any less complicit but the real scorn should be directed at Madrid, United, and Liverpool. Madrid because they overextended themselves to the point of being on the verge of bankruptcy, Uunited because the Glazers have no interest in football, and FSG because they are just a flat out evil enterprise, as their website states, "the most sophisticated, synergistic player in the coming age of international sports conglomerates"

Lastly, my take on Mourinho is he knew he was getting canned because of results and losing the locker room, and took up this mantle of anti-Euro Super League anti-hero as a cover for his own failings. Maybe there is a small part of him that doesnt like this, but I cant see this as anything other than a ploy and coverage to deflect from his own managerial failings.

surfer

Post by surfer »

DarkAttraktor wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:46 am
George Davidson emails in an interesting thought: “National government may have limited formal powers to stop any super league. But local government may have more, stronger and long forgotten powers. Football Clubs use the name of their towns and cities with the permission of the local council. If Liverpool Council decides it no longer wants Liverpool FC to bear its name, then they could withdraw that right. The club could still exist and play in the new ESL but call itself something else (Red Mersey?) but they could no longer call itself Liverpool. That would be an utterly extraordinary move but maybe even the threat would be something.”
Yeah well, it seems like all this is going to be tied up ala Brexit in courts and litigation for a while.

surfer

Post by surfer »

DarkAttraktor wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:29 am
also Mourinho got the sack because apparently he didn't want to take players on the training ground in protest :lol:

what a sore loser. he used the whole Super Lague show to make a half-assed political statement so it wouldn't look like he was fired because of his results :D
Haha double post, exactly my thoughts.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:46 am

of course i hugely enjoyed pep losing, and now i will root even harder for sudden good guys psg (despite them firing my man tüchel) to kick him out of the cl ... "humiliated by kaneless spurs" would also be a fine headline (though pep not winning the cl is top priority, i'm afraid).
Actual football discussion: Chelsea were very impressive in the FA Semi, they did a Mourinho to City. Tuchel has them extremely organized and occasionally dangerous on the counter, even Werner played OK. Match of the weekend for me, was Atalanta v Juve. I love Atalanta, and while they didint play flawlessly, they were very well organized and dangerous in the 2nd half. Very even match, probably a draw was deserved, but Atalanta did a bit of a smash-and-grab at the end. Malinovsky drilled a free kick from about 35 yards out that forced a difficult save from Sczencny and from the resulting corner, the ball popped back out to him and he drilled it and it deflected off someone into the corner. Juve have now dropped out of the UCL spots.

Andrea Agnelli -> GO FUCK YOURSELF
Juventus president, Andrea Agnelli, used his platform at the Financial Times Business of Football Summit in March last year to question whether a team like theirs deserved entry to Europe’s top club competition. “I have great respect for what Atalanta are doing, but without any international history, and with a great sporting performance, they had direct access to the Champions League,” said Agnelli. “Then, think about Roma, who have contributed in recent years to maintaining Italy’s [Uefa coefficient] ranking, who had one bad season and are out, with all the consequences that brings on an economic level. We need to protect investments.”
from the excellent article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... -proposals

I think if all this shakes out like it is currently stands, I will start following Bundesliga, and also become Atalanta's biggest fan. Serie A might be a lot of fun without Juve/Milan/Inter.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:33 pm

I would add:
Image &
The Legend is BACK

Return to “I Hate Sports”