Recently Watched Films 2022

Not the stuff on your shower tiles.

Moderator: surfer

Dan Warburton

Re: Recently Watched Films 2022

Post by Dan Warburton »

Jean-Luc Godard, Une femme mariée, 1964

Made in just four weeks - but none the worse for that: JLG was on a roll back then - these wonderful "fragments of film in black and white" are, should you be looking for one, the link between the two other great 60s Godard studies of women, Vivre Sa Vie and 2 ou 3 Choses Que Je Sais d'Elle. Some detail here https://www.slantmagazine.com/film/une-femme-mariee/ but I can also recommend the booklet accompanying the Eureka DVD release, which features a transcription of a rambling and typically punny lecture the director gave on the film, comparing it both to Bergman and.. Flaherty's Nanook of the North (!), and a round table discussion featuring characteristically insightful comments from JLG's old Cahiers chum, Luc Moullet.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Wombatz

Re: Recently Watched Films 2022

Post by Wombatz »

Dan Warburton wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:09 am
Are you a Herzog fan in general, Lutz? I think you have to be one, i.e. prepared to accept those numerous eccentricities, to get anything out of his stuff. I remember enjoying this - I was rather surprised in fact to reread my own somewhat excessively elogious comments above - but I do take your points. Herzog's documentaries (and the word needs some definition here: I'd say there's a hell of a difference between a Herzog documentary and one by Depardon or Wiseman..) are always as much if not more about him as they are about their subject. He's Hias, watching the clouds roll over the Bavarian alpine dawn, more Werther than Werner, the German Romantic Hero, the madman who walked all the way across Europe to save German Cinema (Lotte Eisner), and as a result he has to upstage everyone - Juliane in Wings of Hope, Dieter in Little Dieter, Timothy in Grizzly Man etc etc - so it's not surprising to see him trying the same thing with Gorby. It is, after all, called Meeting Gorbachev, not just Gorbachev, which clearly indicates the director's sense of his own importance. As for the "utterly random" historical footage, well, I'd have to watch it again. I see it was co-directed by André Singer, so maybe we can blame him. I don't recall it being all that bad. As for the man actually saying anything of great import, well, um, what did you expect? Gorbachev, like Reagan and Thatcher, was always something more symbolic than real for most people. Like Herzog. As such, I think they're rather well matched.
ah no, the gorbachev film was completely phoned in, there's nothing even about herzog in it. good question, i guess watch me as i grow out of being a fan. the last doc i saw from him (another co-direction) was cave of forgotten dreams and there i found his clueless purple patches annoying (because i wanted to know about the topic, or have interesting speculation about the topic, not some nonsense about dreams and stuff; also the use of music was just wrong, emotive classical strings expressing the caveman's will to bourgeois art). i found the grizzly man very impressive when i saw it but can't imagine a revisit, you have to have trust in the director to not find it appallingly exploitative (the music is much better though, i just bought the soundtrack). i think i'm getting tired of his shtick because he has no curiosity (despite the fact that letting things run is part of his shtick) and because he draws from certain ideas of german romanticism but is so much less complex ... anyway, his one screaming masterpiece will always be aguirre, that's in my very short list of films that are truly works of art

Return to “I Hate Film”