fade-outs

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

Wombatz

Re: fade-outs

Post by Wombatz »

h. lampshade wrote:"Here Come the Warm Jets"
good call! several complete and partial fade-outs on that record (and as i listened a lot to it at an impressionable age, this must be part of what i had in the back of my mind ... actually what started the reverie was relistening to the rowe/tilbury sofa set in light of my excitement about the newly extended room, and realizing that the reason why i was never completely hooked on the sofa had been that silence is such a safe space on that one, to be faded in and out and will (rather than the sounds fading in and out). this in contrast made me vaguely remember longing to suck back the music during unplaceable fade-outs ages ago (which probably only works with vinyl, headphones, and more innocent ears) and being left with the sound of the needle in its groove. in this lazy experiment so far, only the real slow fades seem to strike up any relationship with silence at all ... (interestingly, the extended room has a couple of quasi fade-outs as transitions etc that are much closer to the pop model)).

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

this is a strange one, fade and reprise, no drama or dynamics involved, it's not even at the end of a side, the music just steps outside for a moment:

h. lampshade

Post by h. lampshade »

Nice wink here, caps off a tremendous record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j2OFDDbBcc

p.s. that's not Mulligan on "Walk on the Wild Side"

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

h. lampshade wrote:p.s. that's not Mulligan on "Walk on the Wild Side"
haha, but somebody told me that when i was little. it was in fact bowie's sax teacher! (i know who his worst student was)

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

(actually an awful fade-out: okay i've played through all the parts, now turn this down ... maybe interesting in that it ends exactly with the chorus ... still it's a peculiar little tune even if or because everyone but the drummer sound like they're sightreading their lines)

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

for the rhythm more than for the fade-out, but everything's wonderful here

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

here's a live record with clear studio fade-outs and applause spliced in after each track, to delicately absurd effect:

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

the fade-outs on this record are mostly well-timed, not following the structure of the tune but immediately on the moment the idea has run its course ...

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

from classical music, Gustav Holst's 'Neptune'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wuV14QlNM

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

this is the worst kind of jam, interesting only for the attempted fade-out at 1:25 ... then probably some higher idiot in the control room overrode the natural impulse to not waste further tape on such hopeless proceedings

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

That is a clumsy way to do an edit via cross-fade but unfortunately out of sync (which gives the track the vibe of a collage for a moment). Anyway after 1:50 I actually like the chord shifts, not hopeless at all and based on a kind of harmonic sensitivity probably not to everyone's taste here. That LP has a few spots I actually like a lot.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

i just notice that this here classic bartholomew production also has a perfect fade-out in which the guitar starts answering its own riff for the first time ... so you get something new without the feeling of missing something:

(apologies for the fake stereo enhanced mix on this, but all other youtube clips seem to truncate the fade-out)

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Wombatz wrote:i just notice that this here classic bartholomew production also has a perfect fade-out in which the guitar starts answering its own riff for the first time ... so you get something new without the feeling of missing something:

(apologies for the fake stereo enhanced mix on this, but all other youtube clips seem to truncate the fade-out)
I love this thread! Thanks for another great one :)
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

thank you!

now this is fun: i listened to this excellent song and loved the quick fade-out on the drum:

then searching the song on youtube to post it i saw there was a rehearsal version and checked how the arrangement went. the beat is not yet in place at all, but lo and behold, we already get the idea for that ending, and indeed if you crank it up you can hear somebody in the studio say 'i like that fade-out on the drums'!

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

and another fade-out on the drums ...

in fact a speed-up and fade-out that makes one wish it had been applied earlier into lancaster's somewhat sorry flute solo on a lick and a half ...

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

here's a wildly uneven track. some nicely rare groove, unto which wild bursts of cloying strings are grafted in most unorganic fashion, partly fun and partly shudder-inducing. of course this cover falls apart when the song falls apart (woke up, fell out of bed, which also contains a completely bland popular hits for strings passage) ...

the interesting thing (and why it's on this thread) is that sebesky has taken out the somewhat ponderous seesaw ascent of the orchestra, with which george martin bookended that second part of the song, and overblown it into a vertiginous fade-out worthy of a hitchcockian amnesia trip (while the original famously ended on the slowly dying (artificial) reverberations of a chord)

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

Outside of the excellent groove the rhythm section is playing, that is unlistenable. I had to bail and fast forward to the end after the first couple of minutes. That was awful, too.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

we're doing this strictly for the science :ugeek:

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

Clearly. :lol:

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

nice thematically befitting 50-second fade-out (goin' out sloow):