Trump Is A Dipshit

Algebra, imbibition, and what have you.
walto

Re: Trump Is A Dipshit

Post by walto »

Dan Warburton wrote:
walto wrote:It's scary, but riveting.
Oh, I don't know, is it really? Haven't we all got something better to do with our time? Just spent three weeks in New Zealand, with not a mention of stupid Americans, Brexidiots, yellowvests etc etc (the top news story in Auckland the night we arrived was that the local beach was closed because of toxic algae). And feel much better for it. New Year's Resolution: less news, more music.
I know what you mean and am sympathetic, but keep in mind that many libertarians (like Jason Brennan) argue that it is actually morally obligatory for most people (though, of course, they generally mean people who disagree with them) to avoid politics. Their position is what they call "epistocratic"--meaning that most people are simply too stupid or ignorant to be allowed even to vote, and that correctly designed systems wouldn't allow them to.

Brennan says people should be encouraged to enjoy music, sports, monster trucks, literature, painting, etc. rather than bother themselves about unpleasant stuff like politics. But that's a nice way of him saying that stupid people should stay out of stuff they can't understand.

Of course, in the U.S. there's so little real democracy on the Federal level that it's almost pointless to get too involved. But, like Negative Potential, I'm addicted.
Last edited by walto on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

walto

Post by walto »

Mo Noyz wrote:
Take a previous conversation in this thread. Democrats gave tacit approval to Obama for his greatly expanded deportation policy. But now Republicans that support Trump’s are racist.
So so defensive.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

Alex, here’s a prime example of how the “left” in America eats their own when they try to open avenues of communication with the “other”. They have designed their playbook to mirror the one the right uses. Either fall in line, or get the fuck out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... 51146776bc

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

"You look at different places they put up a wall, no problem. You look at San Antonio, you look at so many different places."

The Chump

Damn right! The Great Wall of San Antonio, right behind the Alamo, 157 miles from Mexico, nobody gets across there and Mexico paid for it.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

Rudy Guliani has become the Yogi Berra of this debacle, with 'the truth is not the truth' and other gems. Here he adds to legacy, talking to the New Yorker:
"I am afraid it will be on my gravestone: ‘Rudy Giuliani: He lied for Trump,’ Somehow, I don’t think that will be it. But if it is, so what do I care? I’ll be dead."

negative potential

Post by negative potential »

So walto, how does Trump's approval rating plummeting to 36% square with your thesis that his supporters are all irredeemable racists? It would seem to me that an irredeemable racist would stick obstinately to the "wall" demand, regardless of whatever inconvenience and instability it generates.

FWIW, I'm not disputing that dog whistling around racial issues hasn't been a Republican strategy since Goldwater, but I think it's one component of a larger matrix of positions and attitudes.

walto

Post by walto »

negative potential wrote:So walto, how does Trump's approval rating plummeting to 36% square with your thesis that his supporters are all irredeemable racists? It would seem to me that an irredeemable racist would stick obstinately to the "wall" demand, regardless of whatever inconvenience and instability it generates.

FWIW, I'm not disputing that dog whistling around racial issues hasn't been a Republican strategy since Goldwater, but I think it's one component of a larger matrix of positions and attitudes.
That's not my thesis, that's Scott's characterization of my "utter piece of shit" views. I take the view that politics is largely tribal--even more so than religion in the U.S. these days, so it's quite hard to cut into support--especially once it's been publicly expressed. A change means not only admitting you were wrong about something central to your sense of self, but possibly losing the love and support of your brethren/peers. But it can happen if you're in extremis. You know, working without pay or, um, too worried to fly. And as soon as some people take that plunge, it becomes easier for others to join.

In reality, I'm probably much more of a populist than Scott is. He just takes offence easily--just as he has for as long as I've known him. I'm not a "progressive" though--unless that means the progressivism of Herbert Croly and Charles Beard.

https://www.mercatornet.com/features/vi ... QheAIicOfI

https://thebaffler.com/intros-and-manif ... 3_lDhfJeDo

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

I found this article really fascinating. I do disagree with the conclusion of the author that the social experiment in Giv’at Shmuel should be employed in the U.S. The 2016 Trump campaign already did this, and it changed absolutely nothing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... er/576424/

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

negative potential wrote:So walto, how does Trump's approval rating plummeting to 36% square with your thesis that his supporters are all irredeemable racists? It would seem to me that an irredeemable racist would stick obstinately to the "wall" demand, regardless of whatever inconvenience and instability it generates.

Because reading Andy Serwer’s hate-filled rhetoric eventually informs ones own opinion.

Combine these two with the article walto posted a month or so back.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... sm/575173/

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... st/561962/

I at least give him cred for not trying to be too cute by half concerning his incredibly wrong-headed assumptions and opinions. If a Trump supporter with a higher number were accidentally called before him, he’d write an article lambasting the racists at the deli.

He is truly a silly, sad man.

walto

Post by walto »

I
at least give him cred for not trying to be too cute by half concerning his incredibly wrong-headed assumptions and opinions. If a Trump supporter with a higher number were accidentally called before him, he’d write an article lambasting the racists at the deli.

He is truly a silly, sad man.
Hahaha, don't forget utter piece of shit. Ah well, at least I'm not trying to be too cute by half concerning something or other that I can't figure out here.

Anyhow, I take it the hippest, most progressive way to be these days is to dislike Trump, but exalt his continuing supporters as misunderstood potential Sanders delegates. And, apparently, there are pieces of shit in the world who aren't sufficiently hip to make continuing Trump support the fault of left wing fakenews media outlets like the silly, sad Atlantic Monthly. (And, of course, that they write their garbage is is function of the fact that all evils in America continue to really be Hillary Clinton's responsibility. Lock that bitch up!)

Well, I confess to being unhip. I make citizens responsible for their own views. But, apparently unlike the hippest among us, I'm willing to let democracy take its course anyhow. I actually WANT the majority to rule.

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

So glad I chose to display that post against my better judgement. Let’s address the inaccurcies and straw man arguments, shall we?

1. I have never once exalted Trump supporters, only explain the complexity involved. Though Cappz is one that I definitely hold in high regard. You remember him? The friend you disowned simply because his political idelogies didn’t jibe with yours?

2. Nowhere did I ever blame The Atlantic, or any other liberal publication for continued Trump support. I blamed the mindset of people like yourself and Serwer for galvanizing his base.

3. Above the post you replied to is an article I posted from The Atlantic. So I certainly have no problem with them on balance. It also proves that they have thoughtful authors and that Rush Limbaugh’s mirror image Serwer is the exception rather than the rule.

4. Hillary Clinton has absolutely nothing to do with any of this. But mindlessly shoehorning her in was impressive. Or something.

And I’ll add for your benefit: feel free to cry like a little bitch about how this entire post was a personal attack because that’s all I have. At least that sentence will make you partially right. You’re welcome. :)

walto

Post by walto »

In spite of your (kind of doxy) claim to the contrary, I refuse to believe that Captain Hate continues to support Donald Trump. I really can't believe that's true, and I think he should confirm this or you should retract it.

As for the rest of your post, I'm glad to hear it--it's pretty sensible. It shows that if you stop absurdly taking offense and spouting insults for a moment you can write something worthwhile. You should do that more, I think.

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

I texted Cappz to see if he’d be interested in commenting. He replied that he is respecting your desire to not interact with him on the subject.

walto

Post by walto »

Haha--that's not what he wrote me.

That's neither here nor there, though. The question is whether he wanted his political stance put up here by someone else. He told me he's ok with what you wrote but if it were me, and I had never said a word on the subject publicly, I'd want to be asked first.

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

Yeah, he’s always guarded his political affiliations like a secret family recipe. :roll:

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

Limbaugh's starting to put some daylight between himself and The Chump, and Coulter has mutinied:
>> @AnnCoulter
RIDDLE OF THE DAY: How do you break Newt Gingrich’s nose? (ANSWER: Kick Donald Trump in the ass.)<<

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

Unintended consequence of the shutdown -- one of the area's most scenic and historic spots, Drake's Beach, closed to the public, has been taken over by the elephant seals. And since the new pups have been born, they won't be evicted anytime soon.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

A SOTU address to eclipse Lincoln's first inaugural ('better angels of our nature"), incoherence memorialized:

“If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation. It just doesn’t work that way!”

The Chump

https://twitter.com/i/status/1092977764787990528

walto

Post by walto »

It must have been a great night for him. A lot of attention, applause, hollering, (U.S.A.! U.S.A!) and standing ovations every few seconds. And he got to brag a lot of bullshit for a couple of hours. That's most of his favorite stuff--too bad he couldn't have had a cheeseburger at the same time and, maybe, counted some money. I mean, now that his pussy-grabbing days are over, what else is there to get out of bed for?

The G Man

Post by The G Man »

Trump is a stable genius compared to LeVar Ball.