The IHM metal thread pt. 2

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

Skuj

Re: The IHM metal thread pt. 2

Post by Skuj »

misengarde wrote:YOB's 'Clearing the Path to Ascend' is really good
Agreed. It often gets mentioned in tandem with the Pallbearer release of the same week, but I am having a really hard time getting past the first 2min of that one. There's just something about the vocal style and sound that turns me off.

On another note: I adore the new Electric Wizard - Time To Die. It is my favourite EW, and yes, I have heard the mighty Dopethrone about 500x. Time To Die takes the best elements of old EW and expands them, imho. I'm always hearing about the classic threesome lineup and the so-called EW career peak they achieved, but the 4 "Liz" records are more interesting to these ears.

misengarde

Post by misengarde »

Skuj wrote:
misengarde wrote:YOB's 'Clearing the Path to Ascend' is really good
Agreed. It often gets mentioned in tandem with the Pallbearer release of the same week, but I am having a really hard time getting past the first 2min of that one. There's just something about the vocal style and sound that turns me off.

On another note: I adore the new Electric Wizard - Time To Die. It is my favourite EW, and yes, I have heard the mighty Dopethrone about 500x. Time To Die takes the best elements of old EW and expands them, imho. I'm always hearing about the classic threesome lineup and the so-called EW career peak they achieved, but the 4 "Liz" records are more interesting to these ears.
I saw both live this year and i must admit that pallbearer's new songs are stronger live than recorded. yob are gods in both ways.

schiksalgemeinschaft

Post by schiksalgemeinschaft »

I've reread my yearend list of 2013. In retrospect, nothing much has survived the cut, I only revisit these:

vastum - patricidal lust
prosanctus inferi - noctambulous jaws within sempiternal night
sacryphix - the western front
fanisk - insularum
suffocation - pinnacle of bedlam
+
added these two to the list:
profanatica - thy kingdom cum
imprecation - Satanae Tenebris Infinita

metal album of 2013:
white medal - guthmers hahl

Skuj

Post by Skuj »

Electric Wizard tour!! I'll see them Apr 14th.

schiksalgemeinschaft

Since I'm quite sure nothing that will interest me will come out anymore in the remaining days of 2014, I'm posting my 2014-list. I listened to lots of 2014 stuff on the internet, but nothing much struck a chord.

My taste in metal is getting conservative, and I've grown an intense dislike of any metal that merely sounds like rock or indie music with more distortion, faster drumming and metal vocals (as most post-metal stuff does), because, well, it's simply not really metal to begin with. The same goes for all the droning/atmospheric death metal that seems to strike a chord with so many (since metal isn't free jazz either, randomly pilling riff onto riff onto riff), the soulless money grabbing reunions and the pseudo-experimental fusion bands that do experiments as a paint-by-number affair ("insert strange noise here, repeat murky chorus"). It's all so obvious, bland, marketed and life-style-ish. Or maybe I'm just not listening closely enough to get it all?

For lots of bands, take Mayhem, their music has become just a career, a career mostly in theatrics, and you hear that in the music. Gone is the youthful zealotry that truly had an edge, that broke truly new musical grounds. Enter Tom Arraya being interviewed backstage with his grandkids, smiling for YouTube or Vice, and pretending to be angry on stage. Enter Portal that use dictionaries to answer e-mail interviews, in a cartoonish attempt to look and sound profound/scary.

So, rant aside, I've only bought 6 metal albums that came out this year, of which 2 made my list:

Domains - Sinister Ceremonies
Spanish death metal, fresh, yet firmly rooted in the tradition.

Metal album of the year:
Sammath - Godless Arrogance
Probably the most aggressive, relevant and relentless BM-album of this century. I guess the fact that it's a bit overlooked by the blogs is - aside from the complete lack of anything post-this or bluegrassbanjojazz-that - due to the cheesy title and the generic cover picture. Get over that, and listen.

fslmy

Post by fslmy »

bumping this thread with some of my favourite releases in 2015 thus far

Caedes Cruenta - Ερείπια Ψυχών
another great release in a string of strong black metal coming from Greece

Scorched
USDM EP released on bandcamp
https://unspeakableaxerecords.bandcamp. ... m/scorched

cruciamentum - charnel passages
cavernous DM from UK, more clean than the demos but good song writing here, the best from the sub genre

Aktor - Paranoia
Like a traditional heavy worhsip album with rock/psych stuff thrown in. Really worth seeking out. Aktor are from Finland

Tanner

Post by Tanner »

I haven't heard any of those yet, but I've heard good things about all of them (except the last one , which I'll have to check out too). I was surprised that Cruicamentum got back together, but I'm glad they did. They seem like a good fit for Profound Lore. I LOVE That Scorched cover painting. So bad, so great.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

The latest Ride for Revenge album : http://rideforrevenge.bandcamp.com/albu ... wers-arise

dialectics of shit

Post by dialectics of shit »

Just popping in to say that the Cruciamentum album is fantastic.

Moon

Post by Moon »

schiksalgemeinschaft wrote: Metal album of the year:
Probably the most aggressive, relevant and relentless BM-album of this century. I guess the fact that it's a bit overlooked by the blogs is - aside from the complete lack of anything post-this or bluegrassbanjojazz-that - due to the cheesy title and the generic cover picture. Get over that, and listen.
I know it's been a year, but I'm slow.

It's exactly like you describe, thanks for sharing this. You always share such worthwhile stuff.
The mix is what puts it above for me, I've no idea how they managed to get all of it to fit, and be so full and aggressive without sounding polished and terrible. It also sounds like they're playing on .14 string guitars in a way that would break their hands.

schiksalgemeinschaft

Moon wrote:
schiksalgemeinschaft wrote: Metal album of the year:

I know it's been a year, but I'm slow.

It's exactly like you describe, thanks for sharing this. You always share such worthwhile stuff.
The mix is what puts it above for me, I've no idea how they managed to get all of it to fit, and be so full and aggressive without sounding polished and terrible. It also sounds like they're playing on .14 string guitars in a way that would break their hands.
Hey, thanks for the kind words!

Not much new metal stuck to me in 2015... Just these 3 new albums, and 1 reissue...

Perdition Temple - The Tempter's Victorious

Angel Corpsish deathmetal, has quite a drive. Nothing new or shocking, but it has a nice snarling bite.

Krallice - Ygg Huur

It's what you expect from Krallice, but a bit more concise. Good replay value.

Kaeck - Stormkult

Dutch BM with members of Sammath. Something totally different, more occult. It's great, but a grower, it needed quite some replay before it clicked. Probably best album of 2015. Again, really stupid cover & title.

Order From Chaos - Frozen in Steel (5cd)

What can I say? Phenomenal reissue of their full discography on NWN Prod. An Ending In Fire is brilliant.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Oranssi Pazuzu - Värähtelijä

misengarde

Post by misengarde »

VORDR "In the Shadow of the Wolf"

ELEMENTAL "When Death Comes Everything Moves"