NCAA hoops 2013-14

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

walto

NCAA hoops 2013-14

Post by walto »

Watching Creighton. I now understand the excitement about McDermott. Their PG is pretty impressive too.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

jon abbey

Re: NCAA hoops 2013-14

Post by jon abbey »

big doubleheader tomorrow on ESPN, 4 of the top 5 teams and all three of the stud freshman who are projected as the three potential franchise players in next year's draft, Kentucky-Michigan St and Kansas-Duke.

walto

Post by walto »

Couldn't stay up for the second game, but Randle was very impressive in the first one. There was one sequence where he was triple-teamed and scored anyways. He's extremely strong and has lots of athletic ability/moves as well. Can also make his foul shots. Fabulous prospect, I think.

Also, Kentucky's front line is HUGE. They don't like to get back on D yet and turned the ball over a lot, but I think they'll be a much better team than Mich St. long before March.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

walto

Post by walto »

Awesome early action. UNC goes down. Mich going down too.
Last edited by walto on Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

Columbia somehow played Michigan St. even until the last few minutes the other night, in East Lansing no less.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... m-columbia

walto

Post by walto »

I pity Robt Morris in this 'revenge game'. Could be really ugly.

Harold Baines

Post by Harold Baines »

Huggy is reaching maximum density. The guy might croak on the court.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

GW with the upset win over #20 Creighton. McDermott scored only seven points for the Blue Jays, looked terrible. I can't remember the last time GW beat a ranked team…2005, maybe?

walto

Post by walto »

Holding McDermott to 7 pts is doing something I doubt any other team has come close to this year.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

Mike Lonergan, GW's head coach, put Isaiah Armwood on McDermott. Armwood is one of the top shot blockers in the country, 6'9" with really long arms and he gave McDermott fits. He was really frustrated by the second half. I think the knock on McDermott was that he'd never be able to succeed against the length of NBA defenses. His performance today will only have reinforced those perceptions.

surfer

Post by surfer »

What a difference having a real PG makes. All the media is going to swarm to Gordon, who's a great player (local kid from San Jose, his high school is just down the street from where I work)), and gives us a real physical presence around the rim, but for me the difference so far is McConnell. He makes everyone much better.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

surfer wrote:What a difference having a real PG makes. All the media is going to swarm to Gordon, who's a great player (local kid from San Jose, his high school is just down the street from where I work)), and gives us a real physical presence around the rim, but for me the difference so far is McConnell. He makes everyone much better.
I watched the end of the Duke win, very impressive. congrats!!

surfer

Post by surfer »

Thanks Jon. Looking good, feeling good, maybe this is our year.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

GW with another win over a major conference program, this time Rutgers (who I didn't realize until yesterday is now being coached by Eddie Jordan). They play Maryland on Sunday, then after that the only major conference programs left on their schedule are Kansas State on December 31 and Georgia on January 3. My sister and I are going to be going to the latter game. Luckily for me GW has a lot of games on television this year, many of them on SNY and NBC Sports Network. It's really nice to be able to watch them play regularly.

walto

Post by walto »

NU looked really awful against Bivins' squad the other night. I don't see them in the tournament for a year or two at least.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

That was really ugly but I'll take a win over Maryland any day.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

GW with a comeback win over Boston. It was ugly for awhile but they took over in the second half, now 9-1. I think Boston looks pretty good. They should be one of the favorites in the Patriot League this year.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

FYI, sir, no one says 'Boston' for BU, I had to doublecheck who you meant. it is BU or Boston University, my mom went there and her guy is a loony fan of their hockey team.

walto

Post by walto »

Right. The problem with "Boston" is that there's also a Boston College in D1. In fact, the BC women beat the BU women in hoops just yesterday.

FWIW, I only learned within the last year that it's a no-no to call Northwestern "NW". It's NU, and people get pissed off with anything else for some reason. "NW" particularly irks them.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

I like calling Boston University Boston. The fact that I mentioned they are in the Patriot League is a dead give away to any hoops fan that it's not BC. Also, I get to call them whatever I want because they lost.

Return to “I Hate Sports”