NCAA hoops 2013-14

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

Harold Baines

Re: NCAA hoops 2013-14

Post by Harold Baines »

Hey. I live here. But, yes, I'm a Tiger.

Coach Frank will be back.

Cappy, it was a Big Tweleven game through and through, which is why jon hated it. I get that.

But you have to feel good for Ryan, as charming a ham-and-egger as there has been. And a champion on other levels.

Captain Hate

Post by Captain Hate »

If you ever read me pimping the Dorkeyes, call Cleveland area 911 because I've surely had a grand mal. I'm already regarding with undisguised dread playing the Badgers next year.
Without hyperbole I've really got nothing

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

jon abbey wrote:
crawjo wrote:It had enough rhythm to be bothered by refs staring at the television set for five straight minutes with 2.3 seconds left on the clock.
disagree, 30 minutes between every play wouldn't have made that game any less ugly. I agree with your point in general and for most games, but zero rhythm in this game for either team.
I guess because I grew up watching Georgetown in the 1980s and 1990s, my tolerance for ugly basketball is really high. I don't normally root for Wisconsin but Ryan runs a great program and a trip to the Final Four is long overdue. Plus I love watching Sean Miller and his fat face lose.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

Captain Hate wrote:If you ever read me pimping the Dorkeyes, call Cleveland area 911 because I've surely had a grand mal. I'm already regarding with undisguised dread playing the Badgers next year.
I'm going to be teaching at Ohio State in the Fall and I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first time that I'm not going to root for the sports teams for the school I'm affiliated with.

Captain Hate

Post by Captain Hate »

crawjo wrote:
Captain Hate wrote:If you ever read me pimping the Dorkeyes, call Cleveland area 911 because I've surely had a grand mal. I'm already regarding with undisguised dread playing the Badgers next year.
I'm going to be teaching at Ohio State in the Fall and I'm pretty sure this is going to be the first time that I'm not going to root for the sports teams for the school I'm affiliated with.
I've gotta admit that the experience of attending a football game at the Horseshoe is pretty impressive, even if I don't cheer unreservedly for them. For some reason the basketball team has never clicked with me, even when Gary was coaching them. Thad Matta is an excellent recruiter but leaves a lot to be desired as a bench coach imo. The AD, Gene Smith, is embarrassingly stupid and should've walked the plank with the Sweater Vest.

Harold Baines

Post by Harold Baines »

If I were 10 years younger, I'd go down to State Street, but 10 years ago they might have burned it down.

surfer

Post by surfer »

crawjo wrote:Plus I love watching Sean Miller and his fat face lose.
Correction: fat, sweaty face

surfer

Post by surfer »

Ha I did not know this: 4th straight Elite 8 loss, all four losses by a combined 7 points.

Arizona is the first team in NCAA Tournament history to lose 4 Elite 8 games by 3 points or fewer.

walto

Post by walto »

crawjo wrote: Plus I love watching Sean Miller and his fat face lose.
Tough day for the Miller fam.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

The consensus Final Four is now mostly in tatters.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

crawjo wrote:The consensus Final Four is now mostly in tatters.
certainly true, but on the flip side, we're potentially two games away from the current #1 meeting the preseason #1 in the title game.

what a run by Kentucky! Wichita St, Louisville, Michigan, just to get to the Final Four.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

also I think that clinches the pool for Darren, small consolation after yesterday probably but still congrats.

Captain Hate

Post by Captain Hate »

For some reason I'm finding this version of Calidago's Methcats very entertaining. In a completely dirtbag and crooked kind of sandbag the entire season and then play when they have to way; but still very enjoyable.

walto

Post by walto »

Kentucky has had incredible talent all year. I feel like this was their substitute revenge game for the one they lost to Mich. St. preseason. I'm kind of surprised they didn't gel sooner.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

Lee filling in for Cauley-Stein after basically sitting all season was huge, those follow dunks in the first half kept them in it.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

I think Kentucky is going to win the championship. They just went through three top ten teams--Wichita State, Louisville and Michigan--to get to the Final Four.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

crawjo wrote:I think Kentucky is going to win the championship. They just went through three top ten teams--Wichita State, Louisville and Michigan--to get to the Final Four.
it does have to be mentioned that Florida has beaten them three times already in the last six weeks, although the last one could have gone either way.

but yeah, like I said the other day, if they win it all, they almost certainly take the Miles Simon Arizona team's title as the team who beat the toughest group of opponents to win it all.

Dohol

Post by Dohol »

there are loud explosions going off nearby.. (They take hoops very seriously in Lexington...)
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman

http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

I rarely like Big 10 programs as you guys know, but big props to Michigan. they lost Burke and Hardaway (two guys contributing in the NBA immediately) and then McGary who was a preseason All-American, and still made a nice run again.

crawjo

Post by crawjo »

Pomeroy gives Florida a 74 percent chance of beating Connecticut and Wisconsin a 54 percent chance of beating Kentucky, but that's based on a whole season's work and not the obviously elevated play that Kentucky has been putting out the last two weekends. Based on what I saw over the last four days, I'll be pretty shocked if Wisconsin beats Kentucky. I just don't think they can compete with their athleticism or keep them off the boards. The fact that, as Jon noted, Cauley-Stein can get hurt and they just throw out this other guy who hardly ever plays and it becomes dunk city right away has to be pretty intimidating.

Maybe if they can get Randle in foul trouble or something, but I just can't see Kaminsky being anywhere near as effective.