Futbol 2020-21

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

surfer

Re: Futbol 2020-21

Post by surfer »

Congratulations Mr Levy
Pierre is very intelligent, he reads the game very well, he understands the game very well. He is going to be a coach one day, for sure. He is a pain, always asking questions why we do this and that.

On the pitch he reads the situation very, very well and the people that surround him they are really compact and they read the game. Physically he is very strong and technically he is much better than people think.

Sometimes people think the guy that is good technically is the guy who does the back heel, the guy who does something wonderful, but these are not my words, they are words of some coaches from 30 or 40 years ago: Simplicity is genius. And the guy is so simple in everything he does with the ball and I think he is a phenomenal player. Congratulations Mr Levy.

surfer

Post by surfer »

With Jose's constant talk of "team shape" and "defensive blocks" and "simplicity", I've begun to appreciate Spurs as an exercise in pure form. A bit like a Richard Serra drawing or sculpture. There is an stark and innate beauty in watching the block of players move synchronized across the canvas of the pitch, equidistant from each other, space completely crowded out, suffocating all movement. Its not that there's no technique, its just reduced to a few strokes, and subservient to pure form.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

that's an awesome funny-yet-true type of post surf :lol:

in other news, UEFA drew the qualifying groups for the kafala 2022 WC. CRO has got 2 hot potatos in the form of strongest 3rd (Russia) and 4th (Slovenia) pot teams. Russia is very likely the strongest team in both Pot 3 and Pot 2, i don't have a clue how they ended up way down ! i think CRO are still the favourites but man having Russia surge from the bottom pots... not good. discuss !

Group A: Portugal, Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan
Group B: Spain, Sweden, Greece, Georgia, Kosovo
Group C: Italy, Switzerland, Northern Ireland, Bulgaria, Lithuania
Group D: France, Ukraine, Finland, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kazakhstan
Group E: Belgium, Wales, Czech Republic, Belarus, Estonia
Group F: Denmark, Austria, Scotland, Israel, Faroe Islands, Moldova
Group G: Netherlands, Turkey, Norway, Montenegro, Latvia, Gibraltar
Group H: Croatia, Slovakia, Russia, Slovenia, Cyprus, Malta
Group I: England, Poland, Hungary, Albania, Andorra, San Marino
Group J: Germany, Romania, Iceland, North Macedonia, Armenia, Liechtenstein

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

btw, this CRO group is additionally funny because i love meself a good SVK-SVN trench war + RUS will seek revenge against SLO for the painful relegation from the WC 2010 qualifying play offs. it by far the most fun group !

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

and in other, funny football news we have Raymond Domenech leading the way for the post of the Serbian NT coach. i always kinda liked the quirky French astrologist but although i admit that he would be a dreadfully perfect match for our Savez people (because he is totally a para-football personality in the way our Savez guys are para-football administrators, its a game recognizes game kinda vibe), nonetheless having a guy who hasn't really trained no-one after France for 10 years except for the amateur regional NT side of Brittany... that's like wow. talk about dumpster-diving for coaches. we are truly the Burkina Faso of UEFA.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

surfer

Post by surfer »

10' into this United v Rats match and its really really open so far. Angelino has acres of space out there

surfer

Post by surfer »

Two great finishes

Lao Tsu Ben

Post by Lao Tsu Ben »

surfer wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:58 pm
Lao Tsu Ben wrote:Just wanted to say to you that you're in luck with that Ndombele transfer. He's so electrical a player, even though his last year at Lyon was frustrating in a team that lacked direction most of the time.
He looked incredible yesterday. In his first minute on the field, he had an amazing interception and his next touch was a perfectly weighted assist to Moura. Had another nice shot on goal seconds later. All the press has been about Kane's wonderchip, but I was more excited about Ndombele, who is like Sissoko + technique. What a debut!
He missed the game again but what's the take on him from a spurs fan these days?

surfer

Post by surfer »

Ndombele was sick, I dont think it was COVID. First choice in midfield. Since about Sept, he's been great. Jose has really sparked something in him which is to his credit (both of them actually). He's an interesting combination of former Spurs midfielders Mousa Dembele (spinning away and holding off two three defenders, breaking the line) and Eriksen (reverse passes, chips, through balls). He's very versatile and has increased his fitness level. First choice #10 ahead of Lo Celso right now. The only knock against him is that his body language can be off when he loses the ball, he can slump his shoulders and pout, instead of hustling back to win the ball or get back in position. Other than that he has really settled in this year, bought into the Jose plan.

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:17 pm
Two great finishes
And then there's Forsberg . . . . .

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

despite that miss and the post, so far so very good ... still nervous how they'd react to man u goal, especially since they had trouble staying focused for the full 90 minutes lately

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

nice, just as things started to feel a little uncomfortable

surfer

Post by surfer »

Gulacsi has been big when needed. He's not spectacular but he's a good shot stopper and I never remember him making any mistakes (a la de Gea)

surfer

Post by surfer »

My god they dont make it easy

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

soft penalty, handball, and now an attempted own goal, oh my how easily they crumble ...

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

phew ...

surfer

Post by surfer »

Heh that was total and complete luck that it wasnt an OG

surfer

Post by surfer »

To be fair, that was a terrible penalty to award, so they shouldnt have been in the situation to begin with. That being said, they played with much less urgency and focus in the 2nd half. Nevertheless, survive and advance

surfer

Post by surfer »

Four German teams through to the knockout round. Madrid rescue their campaign, with Modric putting in a vintage performance. Inter had a chance to get through but Sanchez's towering header in stoppage time hit Lukaku square in the head who was loitering in an offside position. What a bizarre ending that was. Conte doesnt seem to have a clue, he's such a poor manager imo. Inter would do well to get rid of him sooner rather than later.