Futbol 2020-21

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

surfer

Re: Futbol 2020-21

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:49 pm
nah, they bought it from the spurs site ... these are called brxlz but harry seems sold out now ... toby alderweireld looks close enough though if you leave off that horn of hair of hair except for the name and the number
Ah its a nice gift anyhow, and a nice thoughtful one. It doesnt appear sold out on the USA site: https://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/produ ... rxlz/84071 I might get it but then again this (who's been a) bad bad boy has caught my eye

Maybe Liverpool is in crisis, that was some tepid shit yesterday. Klopp seems like he's losing it. Although 2-3 good results in a row can change things dramatically with the table this packed. 9 teams have been top of the table this year, the most in EPL history. Looks like its City's to lose now. Believe it or not, City have the best defense in the league (fewest goals allowed by a significant margin, with Spurs second fewest). Liverpool really miss Jota and he's still a few weeks away, but Matip should be back soon.

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Looks like its City's to lose now.
De Bruyne out six weeks, Aguero tests positive for COVID so who knows now.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

tüchel to chelsea ... barf. i'd love to be able to root for him sometime ... it should work for them, though

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:54 am
tüchel to chelsea ... barf. i'd love to be able to root for him sometime ... it should work for them, though
Well Tüchel's achilles heel seems to be managing up, which, luckily for him, shouldnt be difficult at Chelsea ;)

Best match I saw this weekend was Milan v Atalanta, with Ilicic putting on a clinic. Milan and Zlatan were completely dominated and overmatched by Atalanta's passing, technical ability, and organization. They were just on another level. And without Papu Gomez. I think Pessina was in the #10 and did great although Ilicic ran the show. Zlatan was totally isolated and quite honestly looked slow, ponderous, and leaden. Gasperini deserves so much credit for turning this team around, they are still scoring now but much more balanced than earlier in the season and making a push up the table. No reason they couldnt beat Madrid in CL.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... pions-cold

surfer

Post by surfer »

If there was any question about Mourinho's inability to craft or tactically plan an attack, these past two matches (and his entire tenure at Man U) should put that safely to rest. I dont understand starting in a 3-4-3 with the personnel at his disposal. First, Davies is fine as part of a three CB setup, or as a LB where he is only asked to defend. He's not a wingback. Putting him in a 3-4-3 setup as a wingback makes the team worse on offense and worse on defense. He doesnt offer anything going forward, looks uncomfortable and lacking confidence in advanced positions, and doesnt have the pace to get back. And it constantly puts him out of position.

Second, you cant play a flat three of Son-Bergwijn-Bale up front relying just on their pace. It doesnt work. You need someone to hold up the ball so the speedsters run off them, or you need a great passing #10 to play them weighted balls and diagonals through into space. We don’t have either so it ends up just flabby and aimless. Dribbling in circles, misplayed passes, balls over the top bypassing midfield.

To his credit, at halftime Mourinho switched to a 4-2-3-1 with Vinicius as the target man which is clearly a better system - Son goes back to wide left, Bale to wide right, and Bergwijn can make runs into the channels off Vinicius. It was better but not great. Though I think if they had played a 4-2-3-1 with Vinicius for the whole match they would have gotten at least a draw. The other thing I would try is Lamela or Dele as a #10. We know how Lamela is in that role, not great but passable, too slow to release the ball. And Dele isnt great either but what's there to lose at this point. We need to create more chances. The Ndombele / Hojberg double pivot is working, Ndombele is a #8 not a #10 so dont split up what is working.

Davies was much much better after the break as a LB who was only asked to defend. I dont know why this is so hard to see.

Mourinho wont be fired before end of the season, but I do think this experiment is beginning to run its course.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Best Pynchon-esque football names:

Bert Millichip
Nacho Monreal
Bernd Leno
Dirk Kuyt
Gigi Buffon
Shaka Hislop
Wolfgang Wolf
Danny Drinkwater

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

surfer wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:08 pm
Best Pynchon-esque football names:

Bert Millichip
Nacho Monreal
Bernd Leno
Dirk Kuyt
Gigi Buffon
Shaka Hislop
Wolfgang Wolf
Danny Drinkwater
:D

I would add:
Image & Image

surfer

Post by surfer »

Dennis Bergkamp is a good call, definitely the last name but not too many Dennises in Pynchon lit.

I dont quite get "club legend" Ryan Mason (one cap for England!) Although he has done important work w/r/t head injuries and concussion in football. And I think he's a Spurs coach at the lower levels.

https://screencrush.com/the-best-thomas ... es-ranked/

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Oh no, it was just "Mason & Dixon".

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:30 am
Oh no, it was just "Mason & Dixon".
Oh haha I completely whiffed on that, got thrown when I thought that was Bergkamp.

Ugh Lee Dixon, he is a stateside match commentator here in the States on NBC. He's the worst, I turn off the sound when he's on

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:49 pm
I agree this isnt a Liverpool Implosion, just a difficult run, and they will probably still end up first or second. I think it'll be Liverpool-City-United-Spurs in the CL next year. With Liverpool and City battling it out for the title and United Spurs for 3rd.

Schalke is an implosion.
well well well as the world turns, look who's imploding now

surfer

Post by surfer »

I'm old enough to remember when Spurs were going to win the league this year.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

nah, you never believed that. but we did think we were in for a surprisingly fun season. instead we're getting the pinnacle of drabness we initially expected ... and chelsea weren't very good at all, visibly low in confidence especially up front with lots of bad decisions and bad touches. they will improve, though.

rats are doing fine but there's no real hum. with bayern and city winning their leagues, the only hope for some entertainment is the cl ... hopefully rats find a quick solution for the covid situation and don't think they can pull off any negotiating table heroics.

surfer

Post by surfer »

"For what felt like an eternity Dier waggled his legs in the air, like an upturned beetle awaking from uneasy dreams to find itself transformed into a Tottenham centre-back." https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... s-vinicius

Bravo Barney, bravo. I remember my grandfather telling me about Gregor Samsa slotting home a brace in '54 for the Hungarian National Team. What a player, Samsa, better than Puskás some say. . . . . .

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

I was reading some articles about the future ECL format. Kind of a mess... Pushed by the threat of a super closed league. Many more games (and money) will probably lead to the very same ending.

surfer

Post by surfer »

How are you feeling Lutz? I think Rats win today 2-1

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

ha, that's what my boy (the renegade) says too. unfortunately one probable narrative is rats coming out the blocks totally over-motivated and shooting themselves in the foot. also upamecano has not always been on top form this year, let's hope his head is in it. at least the lack of a proper striker shouldn't be the decisive problem in this matchup.

surfer

Post by surfer »

If Rats can keep a good shape and not get pulled around too much they should be OK. Liverpool have had a lot of problems breaking down any team with a solid disciplined unit and I think Nagelsmann will have them ready. Kabak - Hendu CB partnership should provide plenty of opportunities to attack. Liverpool will try to press to not have their defense have to soak up too much pressure.

Also, I know its mid comp but they should do away with the away goals rule at neutral venues, seems unfair. If its even at the end of two legs they should immediately go to penalty kicks which seems less arbitrary than weighting away goals in an empty neutral venue.

Return to “I Hate Sports”