Futbol 2019-20

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

Antoine

Re: Futbol 2019-20

Post by Antoine »

Well, tonight tasted like this Germany/Brazil 2014 game.
Since the draw, it seems quite obvious the "real" final will be played on Aug 19. I still hope to be surprised, though!

surfer

Post by surfer »

We were away on vacation in the high Sierras so I missed all the matches but am tuning in today for City v OL. We all agree its essential Pep loses especially given that City escaped all FFP sanctions, they must not win.

Checking the scores, devastated to see to that Atalanta lost with two stoppage time goals. I dont know if I have the stomach to watch the highlights. Looks like Bayern hammered Barca, and the Rats are making a run. This year's Spurs, why not? I think they're a better team than last years Spurs. Will have to check out the highlights of that one, congrats Lutz!!!!!!!

surfer

Post by surfer »

That's the worst miss Ive ever seen.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

woohoo!!! (haven't seen much of the game, but pep on his knees cursing the gods after the 2nd goal was exactly what i wanted to see)

(edit, this:)
Last edited by Wombatz on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Well, I was hoping for surprises... here's one!
I don't know exactly why but it seems City has a real problem with Lyon

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

And Sevilla FC reaches a 6th final (in the last 15 editions!).
I guess at some point they'll lose one (???). Nerazzurri's turn, maybe? Haven't followed Serie A a lot this year, but will probably watch the game against Donetsk

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

i've seen parts of this ... weird decision by sevilla to start defending only inside their box and let the opposition freely walk around the edges of that. so while man u should have scored from their excellent chances, they should also have had many more of them (in the end, shots were about par). interesting to see lopetegui rebound so quickly (cl qualification and el final), wouldn't have thought this after the national team firing/real debacle in view of his general sad-ass looks

surfer

Post by surfer »

Nagelsmann's suit.

Meanwhile Tuchel looking like Robinson Jeffers.

That's my minute 1 analysis

surfer

Post by surfer »

Well, Rats arent really creating a lot of chances, not sure Poulsen can play as striker, he played wide for Denmark too. His holdup play isnt great. Neither team is offering much resistance through the midfield, but Rats seem to lack ideas in the final third without Werner. The biggest thing are the heavy touches and poor giveaways when they are trying to play it out the back. They're lucky Neymar has been shockingly bad at finishing otherwise it could be 3 or 4 nil. Still Rats look fairly dangerous when they break quickly. Their ball movement is very quick.

surfer

Post by surfer »

well this is better, more pressure high up the pitch

surfer

Post by surfer »

What a complete mess that was

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

they're just not up for it. like you say, so many bad touches, such stupid mistakes from being slow in the head. and too chicken really. poulsen could be fine up front if they'd swamp midfield like they should have done, but when everybody more or less keeps position he's hopeless as striker.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:02 pm
And Sevilla FC reaches a 6th final (in the last 15 editions!).
I guess at some point they'll lose one (???). Nerazzurri's turn, maybe? Haven't followed Serie A a lot this year, but will probably watch the game against Donetsk
Re: Inter v Shakhtar Not sure I have seen a more complete capitulation in the second half since, well, last week. and like last week not sure what it says about Inter/Bayern, I have a feeling it says more about the fragility of Barca/Shakhtar. Inter v Sevilla is very interesting. Really looking forward to that.

The only other thing I would say about today's match is that it highlighted for me the lack of an aerial attack from Leipzig. Late in the match with PSG packing the box and not providing much space centrally, Rats had plenty of time on the wings and seemed to want to cross it in the air but didnt really have a target.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:50 pm
they're just not up for it. like you say, so many bad touches, such stupid mistakes from being slow in the head. and too chicken really. poulsen could be fine up front if they'd swamp midfield like they should have done, but when everybody more or less keeps position he's hopeless as striker.
Yes the fluid front three / false 9, thats the Liverpool method more or less, but that works for them because they have two world class wingbacks to help in midfield and fly down the flanks on overlaps, and they are world class crossers . Also Firmino and his linkup play is really key to how they operate. That being said, on another day with fewer poor touches in bad areas Rats could have won. Semis of the CL is an amazing accomplishment and I hope they can continue to compete at this level. they are a fun dynamic team to watch. Congrats on a great season

surfer

Post by surfer »

Poch passed over for another big opening, although I never really considered him for Barca because of his Espanyol ties. But still, very curious to see where he ends up, not a lot of obvious openings anymore.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:43 pm
Poch passed over for another big opening, although I never really considered him for Barca because of his Espanyol ties. But still, very curious to see where he ends up, not a lot of obvious openings anymore.
he's played at psg for a couple of years. they'll fire tüchel for losing the final on penalties (neymar trying a rainbow flick from the spot) and there you are ...

surfer

Post by surfer »

what an absurdly entertaining match so far. Up until golazo from Gnabry, Lyon was maybe the better side. Hard to say because both teams are just a blur right now. Kudos to Lyon for being so absolutely fearless, Ekambi has been an absolute beast on the right side.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Serge Gnabry, five years in the EPL, 11 TOTAL appearances, one goal.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

surfer wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:32 pm
what an absurdly entertaining match so far. Up until golazo from Gnabry, Lyon was maybe the better side. Hard to say because both teams are just a blur right now. Kudos to Lyon for being so absolutely fearless, Ekambi has been an absolute beast on the right side.
Watching the first 15 min, I was thinking "OL is going to have regrets".
They still have their moments in the 2nd half, now that Dembele has replaced Depay.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:27 pm
surfer wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:32 pm
Watching the first 15 min, I was thinking "OL is going to have regrets".
They still have their moments in the 2nd half, now that Dembele has replaced Depay.
They regret not converting one of those chances in the first 20 minutes, that might have changed the complexion of the match. Esp the Ekambi attempt that hit the post. Still, I think Garcia had the right strategy to keep Bayern on their heels a bit. Bayern were just more clinical, that's it, rest of match was very even. Kudos to OL for really going for it