Futbol 2019-20

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

roger.haddad.

Re: Futbol 2019-20

Post by roger.haddad. »

Welp, if anyone was gonna do it, I guess it might as well be Watford.

surfer

Post by surfer »

I watched the InterMiami debut last night as a curiosity, and because I enjoy watching LAFC. Vela's a special player, I'm a sucker for a chipped goal. The best part of the whole move might be the first, chesting into into space and running on to it before fighting off two defenders. MLS MVP.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2020/03/ ... inst-inter

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:José Mourinho called one of Southampton’s backroom staff “an idiot”, accused the St Mary’s ballboys of being coached to waste time, said VAR should be rebranded as the true referee, and said Ndombele is always injured; Harry Kane is out 6-8 weeks to a hamstring injury in a dispiriting 1-0 defeat to Southampton.

so the Happy New Year begins
Norwich dump Spurs out of the Cup, and Dier jumps into the stands to confront a fan who was insulting his brother.

woooo ----- good times

surfer

Post by surfer »

No structure, no shape, no spirit, no snap, no soul

no miracle this year

leipzig are a legitimately good team (unlike spurs from last year, who had desire and luck (VAR) and some good finishing)

with soccer world in disarray, they could go on a deep run

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

I've been wrong many times before, but I am not feeling great about this return leg tomorrow. Yet, the uncertainty is sort of the point I guess. May as well embrace it.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

the wonder of spurs coming here at all, the fact of this being the last game before the corona shutdown, this should have been a mythic battle ...

(of course, no kane, no son, had cursed these prospects for my boy and his (korean) other spurs fan in class)

even during the warm-up rats looked so much more energetic and our hearts sank (his for spurs, mine hoping for a great game). look how sluggish they look:

and in the end, of course, an utter no show. there were very few things to be learned. most spurs are smaller than they look on tv. the utter senselessness of a lucas moura run could be better appreciated in real space. the helplessness of aurier in a back line. the total inability to create a little space for themselves and to close spaces for rats. the lack of an aura (though aura will be televized (take that, benjamin)) ... clearly mourinho should start a few troy parrotts, ready or not, they can't be any worse and just might rise to the occasion, how can he not (mourinho out).

it was impossible to understand how the first two goals were in without a replay.

my boy was pretty much destroyed and hasn't talked since (no photo of him in the stadium, he couldn't muster the face).

rats are good but not very much so, i'd be pleasantly surprised if they made the next round. werner's head is clearly elsewhere (in liverpool? they're already parking the once pretty great keita). they mostly don't really click unless the opposition invites them to ... otoh, it's always possible they may step it up any game, the potential is always lurking ... (last chance this season (if there still is a season), as they will lose several key players over the summer ... otoh, they buy so very well, fielding everything from fresh winter acquisitions to guys who already played with them in the 3rd league)

surfer

Post by surfer »

no Tottenham midfielder has scored in the Premier League or Champions League since Moussa Sissoko (!) in December.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

roger.haddad. wrote:I've been wrong many times before, but I am not feeling great about this return leg tomorrow. Yet, the uncertainty is sort of the point I guess. May as well embrace it.
condolences! it's funny how much seems to be down to the goalie these few days (better than down to the var) ... wishing for you and everybody that they'll cancel the euros so all the leagues can be finished in their own good time.

psg always have two ways to go: either inspiration strikes the insufferable frontline, or they can listen to their coach and turn in a tightly controlled performance. so do they have a chance this time? (then tüchel to spurs for next season please)

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Wombatz wrote:condolences! it's funny how much seems to be down to the goalie these few days (better than down to the var) ... wishing for you and everybody that they'll cancel the euros so all the leagues can be finished in their own good time.

psg always have two ways to go: either inspiration strikes the insufferable frontline, or they can listen to their coach and turn in a tightly controlled performance. so do they have a chance this time? (then tüchel to spurs for next season please)
I'm weirdly ok with it. I think the older I get, the less intense my reactions are to the games. In the moment, yes, I am cursing the television, but I really just want to enjoy the magic of the moment. I also had to laugh at myself cursing the "defensive" approach because back when Barca were unstoppable I was laughing when they'd lose to teams parking the bus (since all of my friends were Barca "fans" at the time). Nothing new under the sun.

Ultimately, I just want them to lift that PL trophy.

As far as the CL goes, Forza Atalanta.

EDIT: Forgot to mention the keeper bit. Wow, yeah, I'm waiting for someone to make a meme of Scooby-Doo and the gang taking Adrian's mask off to reveal Karius. Terrible. Questionably so, because he did very well early this season while Alisson was out.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wow Mikel Arteta just tested positive. Everything is grinding to a halt, there will be no professional sports for a while. I can pretty much guarantee you Euros arent happening this year.

No one could stop Liverpool this year, except for the coronavirus. (And Athleti, who are kind of like a virus in a way.) I cannot believe they arent going to win the trophy. They should just give it to them anyway.

surfer

Post by surfer »

roger.haddad. wrote:Welp, if anyone was gonna do it, I guess it might as well be a Worldwide Pandemic.
Fixed

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

i promise to reactivate the underappreciated african records topic during the shutdown, i have shitloads of interesting stuff to report there

goodl luck to everyone and take care

surfer

Post by surfer »

Bundesliga games still on for this weekend? One last set of fixtures before league is suspended on Tues. Liga MX is still on. A-League is having matches too. Should be some football to watch this weekend at least.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

surfer wrote:Bundesliga games still on for this weekend?
The games seem postponed, according to https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/81/To ... Bundesliga

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

yeah, season suspended, too ... looking forward to the revival of the african thread which i've totally neglected myself

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer

Post by surfer »

Watching a bunch of Belarus League last few weeks. Only in Week 5 now so its fun watching a table develop from the almost beginning. Initial impressions are that no surprise its a pretty low quality league, probably at English League 2 level. Some of the stadia are minuscule: Slutsk's stadium has a capacity of 1,898. I watched Neman Grodno (a club with a badge of a deer with a crucifix impaled on its forehead) play at Dinamo Brest. Neman scored first against the run of play and held on deep into the second half but conceded two late goals to lose 3-1. Watched the 2nd and 3rd placed teams Gorodeya play at Energetik. Energetik played well, pressed, had most of possession but got opened up by a pretty simple Gorodeya first half counter, with a tidy side volley finish. Gorodeya then completely parked the bus, playing with a single attacker, and Energetik played entirely in the Gorodeya final third for most of the match but just didnt seem to have any idea on how to lock their defense. Apparently Gorodeya were a futsal team until 2007, and just in 2015 joined the BL. Nice flow to these matches, not a lot of tactical fouling. Watching Dinamo Minsk (love their kits) play Neman Grodno right now, Dinamo just scored. Match of the weekend is probably Torpedo (top of the table currently) v. BATE Borisov (most famous Belarus team). I'm leaning towards supporting Isloch who have a 22 year old Guinean striker named Momo Yansane whom I like. or the aforementioned Neman and their deer with crucifix. Neman is not pretty to watch though, just conceded again to Dinamo Minsk (5 goals conceded in two matches now) and 1 scored. They look like they might sink into a relegation battle. BTW, Neman has been in the BL for 27 years straight, never relegated.

BTW, DA, Shakhtyor (currently sitting 12th) has three Serbs and a Croat on their team.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

slutsk, man, that name caught me off guard :lol:

thanks for the extensive reporting surf, i feel as if i watched the games myself ! you took one for the team ! kidding aside, belarus league is a not among the stronger eastern european leagues. like moldova - they have just one super strong team and the rest of them are pretty much a joke in UEFA terms. i think none of them even qualified for the UEFA EL group phase in the 2010s. on the other hand BATE borisov is a entirely other matter, for us a team to avoid in draws. we (partizan) played BATE borisov in CL qualifiers in 2015 and they took us out easily (we won 2:1 in belgrade and lost 1:0 in minsk but the result was too kind to us - in reality we didn't stand a prayer; our 2015/16 team was comical since we based our play on the playmaking skills of medjik babo, the son of a local businessman who simply had to play). also zvezda played them in EL group phase more recently and slightly outplayed them (if i remember well) but in essence these were two deadly boring draws. btw, shakhtyor and shakhtar and all the variations in-between mean the same thing - 'miner.' those are all teams from mining towns.

i miss football and sport related idiocy a lot as much as the sport itself. stuff like the constant zvezda-partizan tug of war in the media and in real life colours the everyday life here so much that you somehow don't notice it and you take it for granted. coupla days ago i saw this image of village football crew posing with an illiterate banner preemptively threatening the ref with locking him into a car trunk and it somehow hit me in the way those things never hit me before, i was almost on the edge of sobbing.

surfer

Post by surfer »

DarkAttraktor wrote:slutsk, man, that name caught me off guard :lol:

thanks for the extensive reporting surf, i feel as if i watched the games myself ! you took one for the team ! kidding aside, belarus league is a not among the stronger eastern european leagues. like moldova - they have just one super strong team and the rest of them are pretty much a joke in UEFA terms. i think none of them even qualified for the UEFA EL group phase in the 2010s. on the other hand BATE borisov is a entirely other matter, for us a team to avoid in draws. we (partizan) played BATE borisov in CL qualifiers in 2015 and they took us out easily (we won 2:1 in belgrade and lost 1:0 in minsk but the result was too kind to us - in reality we didn't stand a prayer; our 2015/16 team was comical since we based our play on the playmaking skills of medjik babo, the son of a local businessman who simply had to play). also zvezda played them in EL group phase more recently and slightly outplayed them (if i remember well) but in essence these were two deadly boring draws. btw, shakhtyor and shakhtar and all the variations in-between mean the same thing - 'miner.' those are all teams from mining towns.

i miss football and sport related idiocy a lot as much as the sport itself. stuff like the constant zvezda-partizan tug of war in the media and in real life colours the everyday life here so much that you somehow don't notice it and you take it for granted. coupla days ago i saw this image of village football crew posing with an illiterate banner preemptively threatening the ref with locking him into a car trunk and it somehow hit me in the way those things never hit me before, i was almost on the edge of sobbing.
I watched Slutska, now joint top of table, play against Shakhytor, and was not particularly impressed. Shakhytor and their quartet of slavs controlled the run of play and had most of the possession, but two regrettable keeper errors put them in a 0-2 hole at home. The first goal was a free kick from the left flank that was admittedly put into a difficult no man's land, but the keeper didnt move to his left, he just froze flat footed on the line, and when the ball bounced, he couldnt reach it and it bounced in. Always a tough one because the keeper has to react so late but without questions he was at fault. Second goal for Slutska came from nothing, their Nigerian forward got a pass in the box but was well covered, and then just dropped his shoulder a bit and shot it right at the keeper, but the keeper just missed it, went right under his arm. Poor. Shakhytor got one back late, and had tons and tons of chances, but couldnt equalize. I thought Shakhytor played well except for their terrible keeper and lack of clinical finishing.

The showcase match of the weekend was Torpedo v BATE but it didnt really live up to its billing. Torpedo was top of the league going into the match. Played in a nearly empty BATE stadium, it was very sloppy, misplayed and poorly weighted passes, players on different wavelengths, terrible free kicks. Torpedo looks like a decent defensive squad, big and physical, some pace too. But in the second half BATE began to show their quality a bit, however they couldnt put Torpedo away. Ended 0-0.

Best match of the weekend was Vitebsk v Dinamo Brest. Vitebsk, along with Gorodeya, are probably the two best teams Ive seen. Vitebsk moved the ball noticeably quicker and with more refinement than other teams, switching angles of attack. They just seemed technically astute and everyone was on the same wavelength. But very attacking, this was a wide open match, both teams just sprinting up and down the field. But Vitebsk didnt really get going until Brest had a man sent off and then a second one sent off in the second half. Brest ended the match with 9 men, and lost 1-0.

I miss football too DA, big part of me and my sons life, its where I get most of my socializing, before and after my Sunday League matches, during the week at our lunchtime pickup game. Talking with the guys and gals, losing myself in the flow, talking about UCL. Surfing has just been allowed again, but mostly surfing is a solitary pursuit, at least for me, staring at the horizon for minutes at a time. At least I am getting out on the water. Really miss getting out in the field though.

I am taking this opportunity to redesign our Sunday League team's kit and badge though, it is a much needed makeover!

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

argh, this 23rd february has been exactly 17 years ago since i tore my ACL. at some point this year another of my ACL milestones will happen - i will have been living more without a fully functional knee than with it. 10 years ago i still used to wake myself up at nights kicking the bedframe during sleep. don't remember when it last happened. the only thing i can do on a football pitch is to be a goalkeeper and that's so sad, because you want to be close to where the action is but you know that's not the real deal. and people exploit your (alast insatiable) desire to play and call you all the time because they are always short on goalkeepers :lol:

i know i am like a public awareness campaign mascot now - but teach your son to always do warm up exercises ! like never ever to skip them ! and especially when his growth starts skyrocketing in his mid teens.