Futbol 2019-20

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

surfer

Re: Futbol 2019-20

Post by surfer »

José Mourinho called one of Southampton’s backroom staff “an idiot”, accused the St Mary’s ballboys of being coached to waste time, said VAR should be rebranded as the true referee, and said Ndombele is always injured; Harry Kane is out 6-8 weeks to a hamstring injury in a dispiriting 1-0 defeat to Southampton.

so the Happy New Year begins

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

this is so cruel ... now that spurs come to visit, harry can't play :? :x :x

surfer

Post by surfer »

Yup, needs surgery, out until April

surfer

Post by surfer »

Looks like we signed Krzysztof Piatek from Milan.

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:
Wombatz wrote:
roger.haddad. wrote:Also are rats Leipzig? I'm out of the loop.
indeed! etymology: local haters (who support more traditional clubs with proper nazi fanbases) have changed rasenball (=lawn ball) leipzig to rattenball (rat's ball, possibly some anti-punk sentiment in there too)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/en ... ern-munich

I read this beginner's guide to RB Leipzig, helpful if you dont know the history of the formation of the club (which I didnt). Interesting to know how many of their players were with them in lower leagues and helped them achieve promotion. Sabitzer and Poulsen played for them in the third tier. I think the rats will make a deep run in the CL this season. They have a whiff of pre-expiration date Spurs to them, young and hungry.
ESPN has terrible soccer coverage, but this piece on RB Leipzig (while covering some of the same ground as the Guardian piece) is even more exhaustive, interesting, and well sourced. Lots of great tidbits, quotes, and more in depth. https://www.espn.com/soccer/german-bund ... bundesliga

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

I just read that Leipzig piece on ESPN myself. Kinda makes me like them more. Had no idea German football was so far up it's own ass.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

https://apnews.com/9f2ca05ecc79b504c0f652fdc53b0486 aka "don't track me for football players"

surfer

Post by surfer »

Rats are the first Bundesliga team to ever score 3 goals or more in 9 straight matches. Spurs score their first goals of 2020 tonight against rock-bottom Norwich. and the second was an absolute gift. Lutz are you sure your boy still wants to sit in the away end???? :lol:

You never know what will happen in tournaments but these are two teams whose current respective forms are night and day. Spurs form right now reminds me of the last days of Villas-Boas.

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:Adama Traore is unplayable. Its not just today, going back a few weeks now, speed strength skill. His left foot isnt great but he's remarkable and unmarkable, built like an NFL running back. Wolves were fantastic today,
Against Liverpool today he was again almost unplayable. Wolves lost 1-2 but Sky Sports still voted him man of the match. He's the most improved player in the league, who knows if he can keep it up. He seems like the type of player Everton will overpay for and then he'll turn to shit, but right now, he's must see tv. Nice article on him in the New York Times today, detailing how football tends to misuse players with unique skill sets, but alas its behind a paywall. I wonder if he makes the Spanish team for the Euros this year.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:Rats are the first Bundesliga team to ever score 3 goals or more in 9 straight matches ...
so much for that ... and exactly on the start of the year of the rat ... regarding the articles linked to, one thing is never really explored, and i wonder why, considering that fan racism has become a topic now: proper traditional clubs* have ultras that are often far right or more generally inhuman (see rat families with children being pelted with stones in dortmund). the utter beauty of inventing this new club here in this town is that practically all the more traditional teams in the former east germany have hardcore nazi fanbases and there was no way you could take your boy to a game as a leftist/bourgeois dad, even if you didn't fear for your health, because of the hate songs and stuff ... and one main reason why plastic rats have a full stadium is that there's a family friendly football club where you never thought such a thing could exist, refugees welcome banners on the stands and all ... this should be recognized as a model rather than being criticized for not being real (what's real, a blow to the head?) ... but most of the clubs still pander to their ultras and then wonder where the monkey noises come from.

(* there are exceptions, e.g. leftist st pauli, or the less traditional freiburg, whom i supported back when they became a thing ... also my boy plays at red star leipzig, they do great integration work)

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

surfer wrote:
surfer wrote:Adama Traore is unplayable. Its not just today, going back a few weeks now, speed strength skill. His left foot isnt great but he's remarkable and unmarkable, built like an NFL running back. Wolves were fantastic today,
Against Liverpool today he was again almost unplayable. Wolves lost 1-2 but Sky Sports still voted him man of the match. He's the most improved player in the league, who knows if he can keep it up. He seems like the type of player Everton will overpay for and then he'll turn to shit, but right now, he's must see tv. Nice article on him in the New York Times today, detailing how football tends to misuse players with unique skill sets, but alas its behind a paywall. I wonder if he makes the Spanish team for the Euros this year.
He's also extra unplayable when TAA and Robbo decide that defending is overrated. I only caught the second half but it was defo a hard fought and extremely fortunate win. Gomez looks shaky to me too. Really bummed Matip has been hurt cause him and VVD had it locked in.

Seems like Liverpool are gonna go the whole season underperforming or narrowly winning games.

surfer

Post by surfer »

roger.haddad. wrote: He's also extra unplayable when TAA and Robbo decide that defending is overrated.
This is a bit harsh on on them both particularly Robertson. Traore's pace and physicality make him an extremely difficult assignment. Robertson's not the first back to struggle against him. CB needs to slide over to help and even then its difficult to contain him. Traore could be the flat out fastest player in Europe, certainly from a dead stop.
Seems like Liverpool are gonna go the whole season underperforming . . . . . . . . . .

With all due respect Roger, I know you didnt mean it this way, but this is a ridiculous statement. :lol: I'm sure I dont need to remind you that its a record run (by European standards, not just English standards): best start to a top flight league campaign in European history, most consecutive matches without a loss in EPL history, UCL holders, soon to be EPL holders. Seems a bit petulant to complain that they are "underperforming" and that they're close hard fought victories. I'd be doing cartwheels and getting tatoos that say "MENTALITY MONSTERS" (one word on each bicep)

What I'm trying to say is enjoy it, Liverpool will never again be this good in your lifetime

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

(short moment of panic as tickets were sold out on the rats website even before open presale ... but then we speedbiked to the stadium shop and still scored some! here's to physical whatever!!)

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

surfer wrote:
roger.haddad. wrote: He's also extra unplayable when TAA and Robbo decide that defending is overrated.
This is a bit harsh on on them both particularly Robertson. Traore's pace and physicality make him an extremely difficult assignment. Robertson's not the first back to struggle against him. CB needs to slide over to help and even then its difficult to contain him. Traore could be the flat out fastest player in Europe, certainly from a dead stop.
Seems like Liverpool are gonna go the whole season underperforming . . . . . . . . . .

With all due respect Roger, I know you didnt mean it this way, but this is a ridiculous statement. :lol: I'm sure I dont need to remind you that its a record run (by European standards, not just English standards): best start to a top flight league campaign in European history, most consecutive matches without a loss in EPL history, UCL holders, soon to be EPL holders. Seems a bit petulant to complain that they are "underperforming" and that they're close hard fought victories. I'd be doing cartwheels and getting tatoos that say "MENTALITY MONSTERS" (one word on each bicep)

What I'm trying to say is enjoy it, Liverpool will never again be this good in your lifetime
Lol yes, this was a lot of unfair criticism on my end. I love Robbo but I'm still not convinced by TAA, he does a lot on the attacking end but creates a lot of problems in the back still. He's only about 20 though so I'll give him a break.

The "underperforming" bit was more a comment on how ugly and narrowly they seem to be winning this season [which, I'm assuming we both knew that's what it was about since we know the stats you've already laid out]. Obviously there's something to this team but I don't think I'll look back on them like I do Pep's Barca or something like that. I think this is more a symptom of me having to come to terms with my team performing well but not being as exciting. Obviously this team has the goods, but there's something missing. It's kind of hard to put my finger on it.

TL;DR - I'm basically saying I want Suarez, Mascherano, and Balotelli back.

P.S. on the tattoo comment: I joked with my buddy a long time ago I'd get YNWA tattooed on my knuckles if they ever won the league in my lifetime. This was during the Hodgson era so I felt like it was a safe bet. I'm pretty sure he forgot though so I should be in the clear. :lol:

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:Looks like we signed Krzysztof Piatek from Milan.
Whoops, he's off to Hertha, never mind.

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

I'm not so up to date w transfers lately but I can't believe how strange the Eriksen saga has been. I feel like I've been hearing about it for 2 years.

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Of course Liverpool wins 4-0 in the same week that I complain that they've been winning ugly/lucky all season. :roll:

surfer

Post by surfer »

roger.haddad. wrote:I'm not so up to date w transfers lately but I can't believe how strange the Eriksen saga has been. I feel like I've been hearing about it for 2 years.
Levy has been a great asset to the club, but also a great detriment. His reluctance to sell, and the exorbitant valuation he places, on all Spurs players, particularly ones who have fallen out of favor, has really hampered the ability of the squad to refresh and evolve, and you could argue, paved the way for Poch's departure. Sometimes its not important to wring every last centime out of a transfer, sometimes its more important to prune the dead wood, and make way for new growth and players. Its starting to happen with the departures of Eriksen and Rose, and loaning out of many other youth prospects, but its happening much later than it should have.

Ajax has built into the club philosophy that at a certain age, all players from the academy will be sold or move on. Their progression is a necessary part of their business model. Obviously Spurs are trying to move away from their reputation as a "Selling Club", but Levy would be wise to keep in mind that players unwilling to commit their future to Spurs, or that have fallen out of favor with the manager can actively hamper the club.

Finally we now see Lo Celso beginning to get the minutes he deserves (he has been Spurs best player in the last three matches), Bergwijn, Ndombele Tanganga, all getting quality minutes. We didnt play great up until Zinchenko was sent off, but the flashes of quality from the new guys are very promising.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:(short moment of panic as tickets were sold out on the rats website even before open presale ... but then we speedbiked to the stadium shop and still scored some! here's to physical whatever!!)
Should be a great one, enjoy. Very jealous I've never been able to experience a big European night of football with my son. Its actually difficult enough just watching UCL and WC games live as they tend to occur in the middle of the day here when I am at work and he's at school. We record them and shut off social media but somehow its still not the same as watching it live.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:Should be a great one, enjoy.
unfortunately rats have totally lost the plot after the winter break. part is not converting their chances, but also a softness, especially in midfield (where a returning kampl should help), shaky central defenders (some injuries, but also upamecano is awful (by his standards) right now), they're gifting goals like spurs do ... a couple too many players thinking should i stay or should i go ... a result at bayern on the weekend could quickly stop the unraveling, but if they go under again the season might still hold plenty of suffering ... they will hardly play worse than spurs, but they do not have the necessary street smarts when things get dicey. so a turnover festival finally decided by var? brrr. at least then my boy would be safe from cheering too much for the wrong team :-)

Return to “I Hate Sports”