Futbol 2019-20

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

Wombatz

Re: Futbol 2019-20

Post by Wombatz »

(oh no, spurs are horrid beyond words)

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:(oh no, spurs are horrid beyond words)
I can’t believe I’m saying it but this might be the end of the line for Poch. I hope he can hang on until end of season but I don’t know

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

also bayern (playing their first 11) lose at home to hoffenheim ... these results put the 2:7 into perspective

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:also bayern (playing their first 11) lose at home to hoffenheim ... these results put the 2:7 into perspective
Yeah some were posting the xG of the Bayern match

as proof that Bayern's finishing was a statistical fluke. Its hard for me to believe that anyone who actually watched the second half could believe that the score flattered Bayern. If anything it flattered Spurs because there was a penalty in the box against Danny Rose that wasnt called for whatever reason. Its not like Bayern's goals were deflected or flukely. They had wide open looks and converted. Gnabry sliced Alderweireld open, and Connolly did the same move cutting in on his right foot. Bayern were not that good esp in the first half, but Tottenham were world-class awful in the second. Likewise at Brighton. Each player is a unique case but Vertonghen suffered a horrible concussion in the CL, and that type of thing can take months, even a year to fully recover from. Toby quite frankly just seems to have lost a step at 30 years old. Eriksen's match influence has been waning for a while, again he can be effective when he has time on the ball, but can fairly easily be pressed and harangued out of a match. Sissoko is being asked to do way more than his skill set allows. Danny Rose is old and has admitted is tired of playing football. Serge Aurier is like David Luiz on meth. And on and on. I personally would not sack Poch, as long as his heart is still in the project, just let him do what he needs to do to exile the Ajax crew who are out of contract, and refresh as soon as possible. If that means eating a mid-table finish this year, so be it. I just dont see another manager out there who will turn this around with the long-term vision we need.

Someone compared Pep to the Empire in Star Wars (Grand Moff Tarkin I suppose? They both like slim fitting grey and are bald) as architects who repeatedly build these world destroying Death Stars that somehow always have a exhaust port fatal flaw that can destroy the whole project if you can get your X-wing fighters to attack their Otomendi back line. Seems like you should take care of the exhaust port thingy this time! Personally I just think they could not care less about another PL title and are putting every last egg into the CL basket this year.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:Personally I just think they could not care less about another PL title and are putting every last egg into the CL basket this year.
you may be right ... either pep has learned a lot from his bayern experience, where the flaw was less part of the system of play and more in the atmosphere, when he heaped ironic praise on the weakest player after a game and generally became super irritable and pathologically untruthful during moments of crisis ... or indeed everybody is calmly focusing on the other goal.

dunno, poch not clearly committing and doing the emo mourinho over the summer break hardly helped (and now that he sufficiently underperforms pundits connect him with man u again :-) ). i find it difficult to picture him really digging in.

(he'd be a shock to the system, but i'd love to see tuchel on a team i root for, and he should be available next season.)

in other news, werner has gone back to missing open barn doors.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Coventry City third kit, celebrating 40 years of 2 Tone Records:

I'll take "Mandela" #3. Threeeeeeeeeeeee! Nelson Mandela!

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

So, great start for the Reds this season so far but I refuse to get excited. Seen too many "slips" in my time [which hasn't been long in the big scheme of things]. But then again, this season so far seems so bizarro that maybe enough teams implode and Liverpool finds an opening. But even that seems like I'm hoping for too much.

And I'm possibly gonna go against the grain and say that maybe Poch should stay and just try and right the ship. Everyone laments that no one will be another Fergie or Arsene but no teams are gonna let managers have losing runs and keep their jobs and seems like no managers have that sort of loyalty anyway. Which I'm sure comes from the whole thing with manager turnover being so high in the modern era. I feel like if a manager stays with a team for more than 3 seasons nowadays then it's some sort of miracle.

Obviously there's more nuance to the manager/club hierarchy/players dynamic than I'm letting on [see: Rafa at Newcastle] but still, strange times.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

a few days of fall vacation in our usual place. the so called 'forest stadium' in front of the old train station we stay in is totally overgrown, but we've found a replacement:

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

(so after 8 games, the first 9 (!) bundesliga teams are separated by a mere 2 points)

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:a few days of fall vacation in our usual place. the so called 'forest stadium' in front of the old train station we stay in is totally overgrown, but we've found a replacement:
I love this picture. My son and I kicked the ball around on Sat because he didnt have a match this weekend. We look for turf fields because all the grass fields in this area are fairly terrible. My Sunday League team won 6-1, the other team had two own goals in the first 15 minutes.

Nice to see you posting again Roger. 'Pool will win the league, though Opta says they've been fairly lucky with their results. I wouldnt worry to much about it. Obviously a long way to go but I dont see City tracking them down this time.

Spurs continue to sputter along in a most predictable and stale manner. They are very easy to defend against right now without vintage Eriksen, all the ball movement is very perfunctory. And the defense is clearly aging and unable to cope with quick footed forwards. Sad how this team has turned to dust so quickly. Perhaps the most disappointing thing has been the lack of contributions from the three new summer signings. Ndombele has plaed OK, but isnt starting yet, and Lo Celso and Sessgnon have been injured.

Red Star tomorrow should be a turgid affair.

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:Red Star tomorrow should be a turgid affair.
There's life in this old dog yet!

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:(so after 8 games, the first 9 (!) bundesliga teams are separated by a mere 2 points)
Two matches left in the Swedish League season:

1. Djurgardens 62
2. Hammarby 59
3. Malmo FF 59
4. AIK 59

surfer

Post by surfer »

Oh my god that strike from Sabitzer. Just make a gif out of that and inject it into my vein. Kind of reminds me of the strike from Pavard in the WC. Didnt Sabitzer have another golazo earlier this season?

surfer

Post by surfer »

What an entertaining El Traffico, one of the wildest MLS matches Ive seen in a while. Reminded me of those North London Derbies from a decade ago. Zlatan had a goal and an assist, and another goal disallowed. Vela and Rossi were superb, almost City-esque in their machinations.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:Oh my god that strike from Sabitzer. Just make a gif out of that and inject it into my vein. Kind of reminds me of the strike from Pavard in the WC. Didnt Sabitzer have another golazo earlier this season?
not quite like that i think, but he's been consistently on form. great results, and while i'm not sure if the spurs game tells us anything about the future, the way rats did not succumb to things starting to go wrong in a european game is something they didn't manage in previous seasons. they are still so wasteful tho ...

surfer

Post by surfer »

Ben Chilwell 10
Youri Tielemans 17
Ayoze Perez 19
Ayoze Perez 39
Jamie Vardy 45
Ayoze Perez 57
Jamie Vardy 58
James Maddison 85
Jamie Vardy 90 +3:01 Pen

Southampton 0 - Leicester 9

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

I guess the red card at 12' didn't help. Still, 9 at home is a lot!

walto

Post by walto »

Did y'all see this? Kind of an amazing optical illusion.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1188438673311842305
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

this weekend: spirited yet doomed performance from a team that may yet fulfill its ambition to become best of the rest! while rats again lose a game they shoudn't have lost, they just can't hit goal ... what about this patrik schick guy, when will they give him a proper chance?

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

p.s. look what i found: