Futbol 2019-20

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

surfer

Re: Futbol 2019-20

Post by surfer »

walto wrote:Did y'all see this? Kind of an amazing optical illusion.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1188438673311842305
Hajduk, ajmo bijeli ale! I was streaming this live. I was kind of half paying attention, and I still cant figure out what happened.

1. Dinamo 12 played 28 points
2. Hajduk 13 played 27 points

Hoping Dinamo's CL campaign might allow them to slip up in the league.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:this weekend: spirited yet doomed performance from a team that may yet fulfill its ambition to become best of the rest!
I didn't watch the match, I had a Sunday League game, and we didn't have power at home. I haven't watched a replay and haven't watched highlights tbh. Somewhat predictable that they (score too early) give their supporters false hope and then are battered for 70 minutes until they fall behind again. Two teams heading in opposite directions since the CL Final. I don't see a role for Eriksen any longer. The biggest disappointment of the season is still the lack of contribution from the new signings Lo Celso, Ndombele, and Sessegnon. I even begin to wonder if Lloris is first choice when he gets back.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine wrote:Still, 9 at home is a lot!
And now they get as a reward, City twice in one week. Hasenhüttl is a good manager, buts its hard to see how they're better than three other teams. Southampton has cheated the devil a few too many times, think about all the talent that has been gutted from that team (including Poch and Virgil van Dijk). You can only do that for so long.

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote:
And now they get as a reward, City twice in one week.
Through 15 minutes, City have recorded 89% possession, as their fans chant, "We Want 10".

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

some fun in the bundesliga. after ending weeks of wastefulness with a 6:1 cup win in wolfsburg, who were previously unbeaten this season, rats hammer lowly mainz 8:0. have they officially gelled now? probably not ... like all teams who depend on being quicker than the opposition, they will have sloth days again, and one off-form player can throw the whole system. but since the general level of play in the bl right now isn't too frightening, everything still appears possible (for any team in the upper half of the table, two points between 2nd and 9th) ... also fun of course: bayern receiving a proper drubbing in frankfurt (whose fans kovac had just lauded as the best fans anywhere, one of several controversial/dumb recent statements) ... it's amazing that bayern stuck to kovac so long just because they couldn't admit to a mistake that was totally obvious from before the beginning (see posts somewhere upstream). of course, here's hoping for another mistake ... although, tuchel would be a mistake i don't want to see, i want him in the pl next ... bets are on a dutchman anyway ...

(no fun from spurs.)

surfer

Post by surfer »

Bayern werent alone: Barca lost, Madrid drew, PSG lost. In the PL, Liverpool keep willing themselves to victory like a team of destiny. I'll admit when Mane scored I sort of rolled my eyes a bit. I dont begrudge them as they are generally a likable team now that the Skrtels and Suarezes and Charlie Adams types have been purged, but this year long coronation is going to be insufferable to watch mostly because Spurs are so boring. It reminds me a bit of the Sherwood/AVB years where the players seemed to be going through the motions of managerial instruction without any real commitment. Back then, it seemed they needed the other team to misplay a ball or commit an error, or they would hope for a scrum in the box where the ball just pops to someone. There's no attacking fluidity in the final third. The first half against Everton was one of the dullest halves of football I've seen in 4 or 5 years. I dont think Spurs created a single decent chance or shot on goal. And while it was a shame Son was sent off (he probably wouldnt have been able to continue anyway, he was so distrught at Gomes' injury) for a tackle that probably warranted a yellow, we in essence had been playing a man down since the first minute:

Without Eriksen or a creative passer the team lacks any creative spark, although I thought Ndombele played OK, and Dele upped his effort level a bit. Still not seeing anything promising from Lo Celso.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:Bayern werent alone: Barca lost, Madrid drew, PSG lost. In the PL, Liverpool keep willing themselves to victory
europe united against the super league!

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote: The first half against Everton was one of the dullest halves of football I've seen in 4 or 5 years.
This writer claims "Everton-Tottenham was one of the worst sporting events I’ve ever seen"

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2019/11 ... -dont-look

surfer

Post by surfer »

Kyle Walker in goal for City. All part of Pep's master plan.

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

It's still so stressful hearing people say Liverpool is gonna win the league. I can't stomach it. In my mind they'll be 2nd by xmas then I can get on with my life. Same with the Champions league. They're playing so terribly that it's all making it so confusing but then the media says "winning ugly is what champions do."

Also, terrible what happened to Gomes. Hopefully he bounces back [next year obviously].

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

how's your stomach now?

rats have also been doing good, with werner going from not hitting open barn doors to 2 goals and 2 assists per game.

remind us what pl team we're rooting for ...

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Of all the games to miss, I was traveling al day so didn't catch the game. Stomach is still in full pains cause now everyone is saying it's "Liverpool's to lose" and "Nail in the coffin" and so on. All I'm going to say is, while it's exciting times, there are 26 games to play. Lot of season to go.

Also are rats Leipzig? I'm out of the loop.

surfer

Post by surfer »

It was a good match, Liverpool have a precision and clinical quality that was absent from City for periods. Fabinho and Georginio Wijnaldum made 40 passes between them in the first half. Only failing to complete one. Also, United made some adjustments to try to neutralize Liverpool's symmetrical wingbacks, and City just lineup like they're playing Burnley. If Pep has an overarching flaw its most certainly obstinacy. Also, Fernandinho role in the backline has a cascading effect: He's older and slower than Laporte, and Rodri and Gundogan are not able to stop the counters like Fernandinho can when he's in the midfield.

This Liverpool side, probably more than the Dortmund side of '12-13, is an apotheosis of Klopp's vision: the intensity, the clearly defined roles, the counterpressing the BELIEF (there I said it Lutz). Two things he's never had though, symmetrical wingbacks of the quality they have now take them to another level. And a defender of VvD's quality.

They have a extremely crowded fixture list for the next month+, one game every three days or so, which makes it inevitable that eventually they will have an offday against an organized defensive unit, but this is a great great team and getting better I imagine.

Spurs suck, whole team needs to be blown up.

surfer

Post by surfer »

The well-sourced (Ornstein: https://theathletic.com/1361874/2019/11 ... ant-poppy/) rumors are that Pep leaves City this summer, which would set off a carousel of coaching vacancies: City, United, Spurs, Arsenal, Bayern, PSG, potentially others. Ornstein names Poch as the preferred target for Bayern, United, and Madrid. I personally dont think Poch will be sacked before the end of the summer, but it doesnt look likely he'll have enough time and resources to turn this around. Poch also doesnt speak German at all, or English very well.

If I had to guess, I look into my crystal ball and see Tuchel to Bayern, Pochettino to PSG, and Pep makes an unexpected return to Barcelona (his wife recently returned to Catalonia). United keep Ole? Unclear. Mourinho goes back to Real Madrid. Enrique takes over at City while they retool for the post-Pep era. Allegri to Arsenal (or United). Spurs get Erik ten Hag and the London (nee San Diego) Chargers.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

hm, i don't believe bayern want poch (they want, and will get, ten hag), also i don't think poch would be good for real ... would psg want him? (they want titles) ... he might be a great fit for a team like dortmund, there he could continue his style of work and maybe spend a little more money ... i don't see tuchel to bayern ... although his prime enemy hoeneß is gone, he's antipodal to what they see as their football culture ... i still think that purely in terms of the pitch he'd be perfect for spurs, he could work with the same set of players and make them play a different game ... he'd probably be an even better all-around fit for arsenal (meh). mourinho to madrid is fine with me. pep making messi's final years a nightmare (and vice versa) also.
roger.haddad. wrote:Also are rats Leipzig? I'm out of the loop.
indeed! etymology: local haters (who support more traditional clubs with proper nazi fanbases) have changed rasenball (=lawn ball) leipzig to rattenball (rat's ball, possibly some anti-punk sentiment in there too)

p.s., a thing of beauty:

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
roger.haddad. wrote:Also are rats Leipzig? I'm out of the loop.
indeed! etymology: local haters (who support more traditional clubs with proper nazi fanbases) have changed rasenball (=lawn ball) leipzig to rattenball (rat's ball, possibly some anti-punk sentiment in there too)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/en ... ern-munich

I read this beginner's guide to RB Leipzig, helpful if you dont know the history of the formation of the club (which I didnt). Interesting to know how many of their players were with them in lower leagues and helped them achieve promotion. Sabitzer and Poulsen played for them in the third tier. I think the rats will make a deep run in the CL this season. They have a whiff of pre-expiration date Spurs to them, young and hungry.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
p.s., a thing of beauty:
Barney Ronay:
”On the wall of his office he has a quote from Marcelo Bielsa that includes the words “the joy that comes with winning lasts about five minutes and what is left is a gaping void and a loneliness that is hard to describe”
That’s WINNING

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:Interesting to know how many of their players were with them in lower leagues and helped them achieve promotion. Sabitzer and Poulsen played for them in the third tier.
and it wasn't like they were too good for third tier, they kept constantly improving ... it's incredible how much the club has done right (possible of course because they have an unlawfully anti-democratic structure, so just a couple of very knowledgeable persons were making all the decisions), improving so quickly but without real set-backs ... the article doesn't say that hasenhüttl was more or less fired after two relatively successful seasons, but that was because things went static under him, and again, it was the right decision ... i just fear that with rangnick gone things will slowly become unfocused, since he was really the football heart and brain behind the project, first-class manager himself, but supportive toward other managers with hardly any ego clashes ... still if rats want titles, it will probably have to be soon

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote: i just fear that with rangnick gone things will slowly become unfocused, since he was really the football heart and brain behind the project, first-class manager himself, but supportive toward other managers with hardly any ego clashes ... still if rats want titles, it will probably have to be soon
Is it inevitable that he leaves for United? He's turned down Bayern. As you said about Poch, this is his project in a way that no other gig will ever be. "The pillars of his sporting director role encompass everything on the football side: the first team, academy, medical set-up and recruitment." He has a level of control it is unlikely he will have at any other club especially United. https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ter-united

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

surfer wrote:Is it inevitable that he leaves for United?
i don't know about united, but he is in effect already gone from rats (for an international head of red bull football desk) ... initially it looked like he wanted away from the frontline to become a proper suit, but now it's clear he's fishing for a new project (and just didn't want to directly leave rats for another club (because ethics))