Futbol 2019-20

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

surfer

Re: Futbol 2019-20

Post by surfer »

Wow in shock

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer

Post by surfer »

Oh it’s World Toilet Day now it all makes sense

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

wait what??? i have to root for that guy now? (i have to admit i find him entertaining, but of course on the other team) ... this can't possibly work, can it ... so many players below their best for him to wage psychological war on, the dugout should be a toxic zone in no time

(the firing itself is ok with me, simply because poch himself has at least used the rumors he might be going elsewhere (if he didn't drop hints himself) for some time now ... and whatever the short-time tactical acumen of that in the battle of the budgets, it will have majorly contributed to the team falling apart)

(p.s. my boy is strangely looking forward to this (not as good as tuchel would have been but better than suffering through a complete season like it started), so i'm not allowed any qualms of my own)

surfer

Post by surfer »

. . . . . and the real trophy kids is the friends we made along the way, amirite?

Even among people who think Mourinho is a gamble worth taking (and make no mistake, its a huge risk by Levy and the Board that should define his legacy as much as the stadium), there is no one who thinks this will end in anything other than a smolder rubble of toxic waste that will take years to cleanup. Its a capital P PANIC move that reeks of desperation, and even the short term benefits he brings are potentially unlikely. Based on our position in the table and the squad he inherits, and the likelihood of a January signing, the odds we claw our way back into the top 4 is less than 20% I think. FA Cup trophy? 10% UCL trophy? 1%

I dont think Levy or the Board is going to change their transfer budget policy. Although the odds that Bale makes a return has gone up. I worry most about Winks, Sessegnon, Lo Celso, Davidson Sanchez (he's already said how little he rates him), Foyth, KWP and anyone else from the academy.

The interesting thing is that he is trying to overhaul his image: he's made mention recently of choosing his next club carefully, wanting a project, today he mentioned specifically working with academy products, honoring a club heritage. He's saying the right things but how will it play out in reality when the Board and Levy expect immediate results from a squad (and veteran players) who have a lot of miles. He cant run the odometer backwards on Eriksen, he cant wave a magic wand and make Vertonghen 27, he cant make Sissoko score.

As I said previously, I wasnt convinced Poch could turn this ship around, or that his heart was still in it after the heady highs of last April, so if the atmosphere had indeed turned toxic I dont have a problem with the sacking. But Late Middle Stage Mou seems to represent everything this club is against; remember The Game is About Glory from the Blanchflower quote is imprinted on the stands (as well as mugs, ashtrays, can openers, and baby bibs). The fact is, for Levy, The Game is about Business. Its not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing, but if this fails to bring about a trophy or immediate results and sets the club back, Levy needs to shoulder full blame for both the Poch situation (not backing him in 3 transfer windows), and the Mourinho appointment.

Non-Americans may not know that Amazon is filming a behind-the-scenes documentary about this Spurs season to air next year: https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... in-nothing

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

I am as confused as anyone by this appointment but I'll keep an open mind. Obviously my instinct is that this is great for my team and I'm always hoping a Jose team will end up a dumpster fire sooner than later since I think he's a prick, BUT, idk, it feels too soon to predict the implosion just yet. I feel like so many times a new manager comes in and everyone perks up cause they want to win their spot or get scouted for moving on so that might work in their favor this season. I mean, fwiw, I didn't think Lampard or Brendo would be doing as well as they are either.

Wonder how long he'll last.

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

LFC continues the horrible trend on needing to score late to win. Stressful as usual.

Chelsea/City is decent so far. It's easier to root for this Chelsea team lately cause I've always liked Lampard. Hopefully they can do the Reds a favor.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

so, after a series of partly embarrassing draws and a couple of inevitable losses, on saturday the team finally put in a focused performance and scored a convincing away win. they are now in 5th place, and while the gap to 4th is something like a dozen points, they have realistic chances of finishing best of the rest. (hm, the narrative seems somehow familiar.) my boy is not in the starting 11, but when he came on he looked much better in left midfield than he had as a wingback in the previous games, made some good runs, and while the ball didn't reach him for a chance to finish, he created the space that led to the fourth and final goal. so we saw that as an omen and indeed that's how it happened. although of course dele will soon find occasion to stay on his feet, and i would not build a rosy future on a single tumble. somehow we had a feeling that spurs's sluggishness lurked just below the surface. still.

rats were impeccable again. only against cologne, but with dortmund drawing against bottom-rung paderborn and leaders m'gladbach losing to newly promoted tb berlin, such easy wins are very valuable.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

Wombatz wrote:i would not build a rosy future on a single tumble
or a defender's air kick, or a ball boy ... i must admit i'm mainly still irritated by having to endorse all those jose narratives now ... (while my son went to bed singing)

(in post-jose narratives it's good to see lukaku having so much fun)

rats had more of the game but without any real urgency, 0:2 down but then 2 goals in the 90th and 96th minutes for a place in the last 16 ... is that the liverpudlian way?

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Emery out. Shocker [not really].

Curious who'll come in though. My hand isn't really on the pulse of who's looking for work.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Euro 2020

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

Antoine wrote:Euro 2020
staring at group f i wonder how the seeding worked ... at least that'll make things interesting from the start despite the bloated field

surfer

Post by surfer »

Germany was in Pot 1, France in Pot 2, Portugal in Pot 3. I wont even begin to guess how they ended up in those pots, because the last time I checked, France was FIFA ranked #2 in the world, and Germany in the high single digits despite not having won a competitive soccer match in what seems like ages (they beat the Dutch back in March).

Croatia and England are two very evenly matched squads, with both the semi-final and the Nations League match ending 2-1. Although one could argue Croatia has peaked and is maybe in a slight decline, and England's stock is rising. However one would expect both to qualify for the knockout. The wildcard in the playoff scenario is Serbia, who despite some terrible results lately, could throw the whole group into chaos if they qualify.

As far as the Mourinho era at Spurs, he's pushed the right buttons so far. I'm keeping my lips zipped and feet on the ground until Wed. Certainly he seems to have rejuvenated Dele in terms of effort and commitment (and allowing him to play further forward i think). And he's getting a tune out of Aurier which wont last imo. I dont know if things are quite going to start clicking until he figures out the #6. He has given Dier the opportunity to win back his spot, but he's so off the pace, and heavy and a poor passer. Wanyama is dead. I dont know who else can play that role. I think it might end up as a Sissoko / Ndombele double pivot with both doing defensive duties. Tomorrow is the litmus test. Cautiously optimistic.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Rats with 19 scored in their last 4 league matches (against the bottom four, but still . . . .)

surfer

Post by surfer »

roger.haddad. wrote:Emery out. Shocker [not really].

Curious who'll come in though. My hand isn't really on the pulse of who's looking for work.
WENGER IN

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

About the Euro 2020 pots, it was only based on the overall rankings of the qualifications (so the 6 best winners are in pot 1, etc.).
The rankings: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro ... ll_ranking

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

No hate for my friends in here but I love that Mou's first loss is to United. It just feels right to me.

Meanwhile, managed to witness 1 of the 7 goals scored at Anfield today. Last placed Watford next.

Also, I love that since Liverpool is winning games now NBC broadcasts their games on the higher paywall more often than not. What a joke.

surfer

Post by surfer »

surfer wrote: Poch keeps trotting out Winks-Lamela-Sissoko (this time with Eriksen) in midfield and they got overrun by the titanic trio of Kolasinac, Torreira, Guendouzi.
Mou trotted out Winks-Sissoko in the double pivot and they got overrun by the titanic duo of Fred and McTominay. Please stop. Ndombele and Lo Celso need to be integrated into this squad. We were much better after they came on.

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

I feel like Winks has been the weak link the few games I've seen Spurs play lately.

Return to “I Hate Sports”