Futbol 2020-21

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

surfer

Re: Futbol 2020-21

Post by surfer »

Sorry DA, tough to go out on penalties. I didnt watch but the match report makes it seem like Serbia didnt play well, too bad.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

these last two qualifying playoff games where we are outsiders in one game and we win it with confidence and heavy favourites in the other and we lose the game while its not even close... man, those two are like like a perfect miniature / snapshot of Serbian football since i follow it. its super funny and would love to be able to laugh about it.

i must say this ain't got nothing to do with Savez, choice of coach, tactics - we just shat our pants. not in any moment we looked like we are going to win it, not even when Jovic hit the 90th minute equalizer. not even when we had 2,3 decent chances and sort of played our game in the first extra time. i have to go back in time a little here: when we qualified for the WC 2018, there was a lot of talk about how our game could crumble when faced with a good high pressing effort but then nobody did that to us on the WC, no one did it to us in the UEFA Nations League ot EURO qualifiers, but the Scots - a limited squad as they are - they simply had no other options but to do it and i bet Lars Lagerback is kicking himself now because he didn't do it because Norway would surely beat the Scots.

it was a perfect storm of things (and also a literal storm) - first we lost Djuricic a week ago due to COVID, the only guy who could cut through the lines or receive the ball facing the opposition and replaced him with SMS who could only receive the ball with his back against the Scots goal and could either fumble it away which he did a lot or just send it back down the lines to our DM's and then back to our defenders and often enough - our goalkeeper. our ball movement at all times was towards our goal to the point of losing one's mind. then our cutting options through the left flank were reduced with Kolarov out and we had to pull Gudelj from the midfield in Kolarov's place and then instead of Gudelj's midfield pair Milivojevic - who tested positive on the day of the game - we had to put Lukic in there who's like a 4th or 5th option and never really played any important games. on the right flank Kostic played but since he just came out of an injuryand only had 18 minutes of football in 2 month pause - we effectively lost that flank also until we replaced him deep into the 2nd half.

so if we had a good coach instead of a Savez stooge (no good domestic coaches want anything to do with Savez since they viciously sacked Muslin after he qualified for the WC 2018 because he thought SMS had no place structurally in our team) maybe these things would be addressed in the half time. as a last resort - we do have the SMS tower and the Mitrovic tower up front, we could have just long-balled our way out of this mess by inserting two speedy little guys like Radonjic or Katai to just orbit around the towers and pick up any loose or diverted balls. but no we didn't do that, that was probably too crude for our roster and possibilities, so we tried over and over to build our game from the defense line-up - to no avail.

so we had all these things against us but we we're nonetheless still at least one tier above Scotland in terms of player quality and should have emerged victorious whatever happened. and then the rain started falling late in the afternoon and i know that the thought i had for myself in the bathroom when i heard the heavy rain pouring outside 2 hours before the game - was the exact same thought the players had when they emerged on the pitch: WE ARE DONE. OUT OF OUR COMFORT ZONE AND THEREFORE OUT.

and i was fucking right. it was the single most Serbia embarrassing game i ever watched. not because of the scoreline but because of the feeling of total helplessness against an extremely limited opposition. we got physically beaten, pushed around and we didn't fight back. these things are resolved with a string of aggressive moves / yellow cards, a scuffle on the pitch or like a staged incident to put the pressure on the ref and raise the stakes (like getting your coach sent out for abusing the shit out of the ref). we made only 10 fouls on them during 120 minutes, just miserable. because if you are just going to be a punching bag - then these are the sort of things Faroe Islands could have pulled off on you.

and its even more embarrassing because of Gordon Strachan's 2018 "genetic" comments after the Slovenia exit game (about Scotland simply being genetically behind other nations, since they produce players of shorter stature) because we are a fucking basketball team and they nonetheless pushed us around.

so its not just Savez corruption, horrible ad hoc coaching and vested managerial interests around the team - its also the loser karma you generate over time that gets to bite you in the back. i'm leaving this legendary comment to sum it up
We’ve just qualified for the Euros with a back 5 consisting of a midfielder, two left backs and two Motherwell players. STEVIE FUCKING CLARKE

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wondering if Lutz' boy enjoyed Spurs winning more than Lutz enjoyed Pep losing. A smorgasbord of Pep constipation faces to behold. Jose will have enjoyed this one to an almost indecent degree. A full blossom expression of Mourinho's Football Philosophy. Never on-your-feet thrilling maybe, but very satisfying.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

it is quite possible that even i enjoyed the win more than the drubbing for pep, it was so rightfully done ... though of course, a couple of days after pep's new contract, just perfect ... spurs quickly stopped being that much fun right after you said they were, now they look like a serious proposition ... though of course kane's obligatory injury will put an end to that.

bundesliga is boring. at least rats might get tüchel fired, who'd then be free to win the euros.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

ok, since milan's medical team said that ibrahimovic recovery is going to take at least 2 weeks i think that their autumn fairy tale might be coming to a close soon and that by the years end they will finish somewhere in the upper half of the table (let's say between 3-5th place). but man, ac milan being 1st in late november, beating inter and napoli in away games and ibro topping the serie a goalscorer list with 10 goals in 8 matches that is some wild ass shit. if there was a franchise in europe last year that was dead as a dodo it was ac milan. respect !

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

surfer

Post by surfer »

Atalanta is totally dominating at Anfield. Loads of possession and two patient well-taken goals. I don’t remember Liverpool with a shot on goal

surfer

Post by surfer »

Antoine wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:50 am
Picture of Maradona
I sincerely hope people dont remember me by my worst moments. :| Obviously I am a bit young and from the wrong part of the world to have remembered him in his prime. But it has been interesting to hear some of the pundits reminisce. Jonathan Wilson told a story of a Maradona warmup, where he was juggling the ball, keep ups, and made his way to the center circle, and the ball was about head high, and when it came down he booted it with his laces as hard as he could straight into the air and waited and waited and waited and waited, took a step to his right, and then booted it again straight into the air, and he did this 5-6 more times and never strayed outside the center circle. Rory Smith told of a cartoon he saw in a Buenos Aires weekly, where Maradona is before God and Maradona says, "Here is your hand back God." and God replies, "The hand was always yours Diego, but I'll take my left foot back." Maradona has a bit of a Johnny Paycheck Syndrome, being best known for your least representative work. Although I think it was Wilson who pointed out the two goals in the quarters against England in '86 were actually two sides of the Maradona coin. The guile and the skill. Anyway, I wont go too far down the South American footballers psychology hole.

As far as the Battle at the Bridge on Sunday, I was grumbling a little at the whistle thinking we had been too conservative in the 2nd half, as the points were there to be taken. Bringing on Ben Davies with Lucas and Bale on the bench. But then I scolded myself because you really cant crow about last weekend, if you arent ready to swallow matches like this too. Its two sides of the Mourinho coin. This is what we signed up for, and for every satisfying 2-0 counterattacking masterclass, there is going to be three 0-0 or 1-1 cagey draws where you keep your powder dry. Rodon looked OK, grew into the game.

Leeds are exhausting to watch. Every player is pressing as hard as they can for 90 minutes. They never stop sprinting. They create so many chances and shots. Fun, exhilarating, joyous, but again, two sides of a coin, they are so open, they conceded 8 goals in two games against Palace and Leicester. PLayed really well against Everton though.

Watched the last 20 minutes of Leipzig who barely held on for the win. Milan won again (without Zlatan - maybe DA was a bit premature with their demise) and Atalanta continued their terrible league form. Like Leeds (who they remind me of a little) its all or nothing with them, look great one minute and horrible the next.

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

i am a bit younger than you surf, but essentially same thing: maradona was more known in my head for his drug antics rather than football skills. i think he had 2 or 3 highly publicized comebacks in my lifetime (only started following in 1995), but if he didn't play in those brazil vs the world series (in team world), i think it's quite possibly i never got to watch him play a game of his. the only entire game of his that i did watch retroactively was the italia 1990 quarterfinal fixture yugoslavia - argentina, which is a classic for yugo footy aficionados (where we were a much better side but they went through on penalties :!: --- not a biased yugo supporter here, watch the game, it was like that ! :x :x ). and i always thought that this whole business about the goal of the century had an unbearably anglo-centric undertone to it (however gratifying it was intended to be for maradona). i mean like puh-leeze the english in the 1980s - or the better chunk of the 20th century. for that matter - were hardly a side that you could produce a goal of the century against (with the falkands war in the frame or not).

btw, i saw this clip earlier in the week and promised to myself i am gonna watch it. sorrentino is a genius (loved the young pope and most of the new pope - btw football features fairly prominently in both series).

DarkAttraktor

Post by DarkAttraktor »

surfer wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:16 pm
Milan won again (without Zlatan - maybe DA was a bit premature with their demise)
oh, i think that was reverse j__x on my part surf, more than anything :lol:

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

damn, now rats have to beat man u and frankly they don't look like they're up for it (though of course man u are up for losing against anyone on their not infrequent days off) ... well, that may be exactly what the team needs, a hard-fought win under pressure against proper opposition, to make another step forward (they've become a little more versatile under nagelsmann, but there's no swagger, that was best in the final rangnick year, no real progress since then) ... anyway my boy hopes they'll finish third for a rematch with spurs in post-corona times.

i think i've already tired everyone here with my theory that var cannot work correctly and will never improve, because what it does is establish contact, so objective contact regardless of the narrative surrounding it will be penalized. that's truer than ever, and now we have an increasing number of penalties where the striker runs into the defender who even has made contact with the ball (see the dortmund game) ... and i wonder if we should build on our theory to include the larger picture: this is the age of fake news/the post-truth era, where we stare at documentary footage from several angles and still manage not to believe in it (for ideological reasons, or simply for the tired assumption that nothing can be proven anymore anyway). so var could be used as a model environment in which we learn to reestablish trust and how to heal society. once we get var to work, the age of trump is finally over.

surfer

Post by surfer »

LASK Christmas they gave you Joe Hart
He very nearly gave it away

surfer

Post by surfer »

What a half so far. Rats looked very comfortable without the ball and dangerous on the counter for 30 minutes. Bayern werent really generating anything. After the Rats scored there was no response and they almost scored a second. But then around half hour mark they just fell asleep twice especially on the second goal. Comen has been giving them problems on the left since the start.

But now an immediate response from Kluivert, nice finish! What a half

surfer

Post by surfer »

Unbelievable that Forsberg was that unmarked. :shock:

surfer

Post by surfer »

Rats giving the ball away too cheaply in the last 20. Couldnt relieve the pressure. Bayern just pumping balls into the box.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

this game was totally a case in point: a draw at bayern is fine, but sometimes you should win a game like that (instead of doing silly backheels in your own half when you're still one up) ... they're maybe not afraid but also don't thrive under pressure, the decision-making becomes ponderous ... i wouldn't be surprised if they respectably drew again against man u

neuer did some bizarre stuff that went unpunished

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

Wombatz wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:41 pm
i wouldn't be surprised if they respectably drew again against man u
favorite scenario is still: psg lose, tüchel gets fired, and immediately replaces löw as german national coach. tüchel for germany would be such a culture shock, you can't begin to imagine that from the outside. i'd even root for them (or at least try to) at the euros