Futbol 2019-20

Calisthenics, cricket, and other things to do in a field.

Moderators: Captain Hate, jon abbey

surfer

Re: Futbol 2019-20

Post by surfer »

Watched the Rats today. Pretty dire. Pretty pretty dire. I guess its just rust, as Hertha were only a smidge better imo. Let's see, a terribly defended corner by the Rats to concede the first. If Upemecano takes a half step forward he couldve prevented the goal. Just completely frozen, didnt move at all. Grujic just waltzed past him. Leipzig equalized on a nice near post run, far post header, well directed. Then Halstenberg sent off on the stupidest lunge just a complete idiocy for no reason gets a second yellow. Despite being a man down, Rats go ahead on the biggest g/k shocker from Hertha. Routine shot, he smothers it, no rebound, just goes to corral it and pick it up and whacks it into his own net from outside the 6-yard box. Comical and probably deserves to be an own goal. Then, with 7 minutes to go, Lookman (a 2nd half sub) sticks his leg out and Cunha had time to look down, see it, and look back up, look down, look back up, and allow it to trip him. Piatek who almost signed with Spurs, didnt make much of an impression until he converted the penalty to seal the draw. Ugly match, and the one that followed (Hoffenheim v Koln, which featured two sending offs) wasnt much better.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

not just rusty. upamecano is going to leave, werner is going to leave (he must be breaking records for most sitters missed by a striker scoring 30 goals a season), forsberg, poulsen, sabitzer will want to leave ... so they are all not a 100% there, or off their form anyway, and won't be turning up again for the bundesliga, which they lost before the break already ... they might wake up in case cl is resumed, really cl must be resumed for a proper ending to the story. it will be super difficult to build a top 4 team for next season and it's very probable that from now on they'll just belong to the wider circle of boring semi-contenders in a generally snoozeworthy bundesliga (where competition will not improve until they start bringing in more interesting coaches ... i don't think there's a single noteworthy tactician on any team (like oh wow we have david wagner back in the league and kovac seems to be in talks with dortmund now???))

surfer

Post by surfer »

Well they look better against Hoffenheim

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

surfer

Post by surfer »

Second game back, and already a David Luiz howler. I do not understand teams employing him as a CB, he one of the most error prone defenders Ive ever seen.

Great match between BATE and Shakytor the top two teams in Belarus. BATE was playing at home but Shakytor scored first, and then BATE gradually took control and went ahead in the second half, but Shakytor equalized deep in the match to get a draw. BATE looked like they were going to pull away from the pack but Shakytor is a decent side that could keep it close.

Hajduk won their first two matches since Croatian league resumed. They havent look convincing, and then in their third match they fell behind 0-3 at home to Varazdin, who is second from bottom. Hajduk went on to lose 2-3. Probably just rust but Belarusian teams look better on average than these Croatian teams.

Spurs play on Friday against United. Hard to get excited about the EPL with so little to play for. I guess the are competing for 5th if City is still banned from UCL next year.

I guess UCL is set to resume but I havent seen the schedule. Honestly I am really missing the Euros right now.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Timo Werner to Chelsea, ugh

surfer

Post by surfer »

First Dortmund goal was delicious, sorry Lutz

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

i forgive you. it doesn't matter anyway. funnily dortmund is the only other buli team apart from bayern who occasionally play on an international top level and they're thinking about firing their coach. it probably all hinges on haaland now. as for rats, like i said, the next season will quite certainly become the first one in their complete history where they don't make a step forward. nagelsmann hasn't really proven himself yet but has still been reaping what others sowed, so it's totally unclear what he will do now that it really depends on him and with what team. otoh, while cl in august is kind of bad for german teams, it isn't really bad for rats because right now they can't compete anyway ... dunno if werner will be a hit at chelsea, he usually doesn't play too well with the national team and depends on a playing style that allows him ample wastefulness. he also isn't quite the brightest bulb ... my boy was so happy over that first spurs win in ages. he thinks jose might finally change his ways :? ... congrats to roger h. (well deserved and anyone over pep, but apart from that i must admit i don't care :roll: )

surfer

Post by surfer »

Werner had a nice match winner against Augsberg. Good touch, strength to hold off the defender, and the torque to twist himself and solid shot well aimed into corner.

It was nice to see Kane score, he showed some pace to hold off the defenders and solid finish. He's just not seeing many touches in Jose's reactive setup, and I wonder how long he will want to remain playing this style. I know Jose came out with a binder full of strikers who have flourished under him, but Kane looks very isolated up top, and the team doesnt seem to be on the cusp of anything, just treading water and floating in place. Its a dull team, they play a dull style, and they have too many liabilities up and down the squad, especially on defense. Aurier needs to be sold, and on the left, we have no options other than Davies.

jose is not going to change who he is, he's already identified his core guys who he trusts (Dier, Lamela, Sissoko, Winks) and those who he doesnt (Ndombele, Vertonghen, Sessegnon). Alli and Bergwijn are on the fence. Lo Celso is the one player who is exciting to watch and we could build the next phase of this team around. Fewer wins than Burnley this year, same number as Southampton. We're playing like a midtable squad. Jose's not going to win anything with the current crop, and the sooner we jettison him the sooner we can start thinking about the future, because he's not the one to rebuild this squad.

Wolves are a very fun and exciting team to watch, I hope they win the Europa League. Third best team in the League right now imo

surfer

Post by surfer »

What a fine team Atalanta. I forgot to post that I watched the come from behind victory against Lazio, thrilling, and since then, they've continued to win and score and score. Top scoring team in Europe. With CL a one-legged tie, they could do something. Honestly one of the only things to look forward to for the rest of the season, the Boys from Bergamo and their ex-Hajduk mid-fielder Mario Pašalić.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

surfer

Post by surfer »

I bought a Atalanta t-shirt, wearing it today. I was away on vacation for the big match against Juve, which they drew after a late hand ball. But now up to second in Serie A. Put 6 past Brescia this week.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

do we accept zizou as a great coach now? this title should convince anybody yet i'm still scratching my head ...

surfer

Post by surfer »

Wombatz wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:02 am
do we accept zizou as a great coach now? this title should convince anybody yet i'm still scratching my head ...
Speaking as someone who hasnt watched a ton of La Liga. I think the pause really helped their older squad. Zidane is obviously very adept at managing the egos involved in that squad, and getting them to all pull in the same direction. For a core that has played together for a long time, not sure how much tactics is involved. He is a very specific type of manager for a very specific squad and team. could he succeed at any of the teams in the EPL: certainly not Liverpool or City. Maybe he could get a tune out of United? But they have a lot of younger players, and I dont know how good Zidane is with youth. Again, I havent watched them a lot but he doesnt seem to have integrated Jovic and the other younger players into the squad since the restart. He kind of reminds me of Ancelotti, a manager you bring into an established older veteran squad to get titles. But maybe there's more to him that that.

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

Wombatz wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:02 am
He has won 11 trophies for RM while managing 210 games. That's 1 trophy for every 19 games played. Every iteration of that team could have imploded with the wrong person at the helm. Yes, he's always had a talented squad, but so do many managers all over Europe.

So yes, I'm convinced.

surfer

Post by surfer »

Europe is back, any thoughts?

Here are the Europa League quaters:

Monday 10 August
Manchester United (ENG) vs Copenhagen (DEN), Stadion Köln
Internazionale Milano (ITA) vs Leverkusen (GER), Dusseldorf Arena

Tuesday 11 August
Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR) vs Basel (SUI), Arena AufSchalke
Wolves (ENG) vs Sevilla (ESP), MSV Arena

I think United have to be odds on favorites sadly, they are playing quite well right now. Inter have also regained their form, I think they will make it through. I think Wolves will beat Sevilla, and Shakhtar takes Basel based on current form.

In Champions League, again the Mancunians look very focused, they were easily the best team after the restart in the EPL. They'll hold on against Madrid. I think Juve will overturn the deficit against Lyon, no idea how Lyon are going to come out after months of not playing a competitive football match. Bayern are through, Barca will win their tie, Napoli have been very inconsistent albeit without much to play for.

In the other quarters, I was hopefully Atalanta could pull one out against PSG in a one-ff tie, but I'm not sure now. Their form tailed off towards the end of the season and they looked leggy. Depends on Mbappe and his ankle somewhat. And Rats against Athleti, not sure that's a good match up Rats, but again, in a knockout format the odds are much closer to 50/50 than normally.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

the main thing today is that pep loses, of course. it's difficult to see that happen, though, especially now that city are hungrier than real. it sure would be fun to see him hollering at the skies again ... rats should stand no chance, atletico would have been a bad fit under the best of circumstances, plus rats haven't played well after the break and are probably morphing into a mid-table team anyway. like you say, the only hope is it's only a single game so all sorts of things might happen ... i really don't know much about current form (like, are juve really crumbling/not getting on or is that just the usual talk ... btw, i'll take sevilla over wolves) or if it will be possible to get excited over this whole thing (except if rats pull a surprise). looking forward to atalanta vs. tüchel ...

edit: city did not even have to play well, anyone would have looked dangerous against that suicide defense. and now a walkover into the semis. barf. also i fear i'm starting to fancy bayern for the whole thing (that's only marginally less awful than pep).

Return to “I Hate Sports”