Hyper-specific small format mixer needs

Laptops, effects pedals, powerdrills.

Moderator: snailed

disposablehead

Hyper-specific small format mixer needs

Post by disposablehead »

Hello all,

I've been searching high and low for a portable mixer which has the following I/O configuration, features etc.:
- 8-12 mono line ins (mic pres a bonus, but ultimately extraneous)
- 2-4 4 aux sends
- 2-4 group busses (with 4 being optimal)
- Not terribly expensive ($400 cap)
- Not Mackie

It must have the groups and the auxes. From there, inserts and direct outs are obviously always a huge added bonus.

I work professionally as an engineer, and have a pretty extensive knowledge of current and past manufacturers and models, but can't help but feel that I'm maybe overlooking something obvious. There is only one I've ever found that satisfies all the criteria: the Ramsa WR-8112.

They were my first thought, as I have a later Ramsa 24 channel that I love... but both are impractical for live situations and jamming elsewhere from my space (fuckin huge and heavy!). Some older Electro Voices and Tapcos come close too, but again - same problem, too fucking big. Am I being unrealistic here? It's a hell of a lot to pack in to a small footprint... Any ideas would be very welcome!

Thanks,
Kyle

Moon

Re: Hyper-specific small format mixer needs

Post by Moon »

The smallest solution I can think of is a portable interface and a laptop.

How about using more than one mixer, like two cheap euroracks with 2 bus' each? Lots of small 4-1ch mixers? ..Under the assumption it's not for the actual live mixing direct to the PA. It's a forum-relevant assumption.

The Samson L1200 looks portable and has all the hyper-specific things you mentioned, but I know nothing about it.

"thanks for nothing, basti." You're welcome, Kyle, I hope the other members have something better to add.

Stephen

Post by Stephen »

In my experience 8 channel mixers only ever have 1 aux and rarely any group outputs, and 12 channel mixers a maximum of 2 Auxs and 1 stereo group bus. When ratio of inputs to outputs was my priority I bought a 12 channel Yamaha (the one with compressors on preamp'd channels rather than the multiFX one) this has two Auxs (one per/post), one stereo group bus and the main o/p meaning that you can get 6 outputs from it. That's the closest I'm aware of to fulfilling your needs. It's not heavy ( external power supply) but its still too big for my liking.

I'm now looking for something smaller to tour with, but still need 2 aux outs - so if anyone knows of an 8 input desk with 2 Auxs please shout here.

RFKorp

Post by RFKorp »

the Alesis multimix 8 has 2 auxes. one pre and one post fader. love this mixer so much when one broke I replaced it with the same. shame the newer models don't have all the same cool (terrible) fx presets.
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)

disposablehead

Post by disposablehead »

SAMSON L1200!!!

That rules! Thank you!

Haider05

Post by Haider05 »

Soonish. Have you any cool printer friends Massimo????
We offer guaranteed success for learnalanguage.com - learn hebrew exam with help of latest certification learnalanguage.com and practice questions and the exams of French Yabla ccie security German.about