I want to make power electronics

Laptops, effects pedals, powerdrills.

Moderator: snailed

ass

I want to make power electronics

Post by ass »

Hi. This seems like a cool board.

I've been obsessed with the early Whitehouse sound as of late. Everything up through their first couple 90s albums I guess. I enjoy the stuff that features more prominent synth dickery and weird atmospheres rather than their more rhythmic and "brutal" later work. I'm wondering what kind of tools and techniques I'd need to make something similar. I don't have a Wasp, but I've gotten some nice ear-piercing oscillations from a Korg Monotribe. I'd like to beef it up though. What kind of effects should I be looking into? I'm not much of a gear person. There's also the matter of vocals; I'd like to process them like mad.

Thanks for any help.

horaflora

Re: I want to make power electronics

Post by horaflora »

Try here, might garner responses:

http://chondriticsound.com/forum/index.php

ass

Post by ass »

Ah, is this not really a good place to ask?

RFKorp

Post by RFKorp »

I can't speak for the board as a whole

But your question has to do with a codification of The Gear That Is Appropriate For A PE Setup

And this board generally isn't into defining things like that. In its most useful moments it's more about sprawling discussions about various ways people have experimented with types of gear to break the devices OUT of people's prior expectations for them.

Like I bet we could have an interesting (but slow moving) thread on vocal processing in general. hardware, software, etc. But I don't know if the question of beefing up your monotribe to sound like early Whitehouse is something we'd be as good at targeting.
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)

horaflora

Post by horaflora »

Try the chronditics, though I guess I could recommend distortion for beef and lots of Kaos pads chained together for vocal processing...

But yeah, RFKorp is tellin it like it is. If we're all unlucky, this very thread will turn into a discussion about what we tend to discuss and why, and what it all means, for another 10 pages... Of course, the moderator will have split the thread off at the post that defined the change of direction, so it will no longer be your thread, but a child of your thread, and probably one that you would as soon disown as attempt to gauge the merits of.

horaflora

Post by horaflora »

...but your avatar is pretty killer, so definitely include that in your setup somehow!

RFKorp

Post by RFKorp »

horaflora wrote:...but your avatar is pretty killer, so definitely include that in your setup somehow!
where's the Like button when you need it.....
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)

ass

Post by ass »

Thanks for the replies.

I guess my topic was far too narrow and poorly-worded, so I apologize. I wasn't looking for a hard and fast definition of "the right way" to do PE, but I was wondering about general techniques for making sounds commonly found in the genre. Even that probably doesn't make for a very good discussion though.

I have a bad habit of measuring a dozen times before cutting. I always seek loads of information before doing anything. It makes sense for something like buying a car or installing a new operating system, but it probably isn't as essential in noise music. I'll just shut up and do it.

This thread can be about whatever you'd like instead.

joeperucki

Post by joeperucki »

ass wrote: I have a bad habit of measuring a dozen times before cutting. I always seek loads of information before doing anything. It makes sense for something like buying a car or installing a new operating system, but it probably isn't as essential in noise music. I'll just shut up and do it.
Same "issue" here - luckily I have no ambition to be a musician - it does work in my engineering day job :)

faster
rasbliutto

Post by faster »

joeperucki wrote:I have no ambition to be a musician
Wise choice, Joe.
You, of all people, should understand

Moon

Post by Moon »

If you're going for the analog noisy pedal sounds then the classic is the fuzz pedals. Get one with lots of texture knobs, like the Fuzz Factory (boo, overpriced) or one of Devi Ever's pedals that will take a lot longer to learn how to play, but also has crazy things like joysticks and built in feedback loops.

Is that a good tip? Seems kind of rude to boil noise down to a pedal genre :shock:

johnson

Post by johnson »

two Wasps, microphone, delay pedal.
complete works of Sade, Dworkin, Sotos.

Dohol

Post by Dohol »

+1
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman

http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

roger.haddad.

Post by roger.haddad. »

read a bunch of reviews of all of the newer distortion pedals, when you see something along the lines of "I can't get a usable tone out of this thing..."

you've found a winner. repeat until you have a nice chain.

Return to “I Hate Making Music”