Recently Watched Films 2016

Not the stuff on your shower tiles.

Moderator: surfer

Piano Mouth

Re: Recently Watched Films 2016

Post by Piano Mouth »

FilmStruck is a good streaming movie site that I've recently discovered and joined lately. They have most of the Criterions like Hulu did a couple years back. The thing is, I just bought this new computer thinking it would kick ass, but it has trouble streaming videos. So now I await for my used iPad air to come in the mail, and VR headset too, because I always end up falling asleep watching movies in bed with a phone held up to my face.

leroysghost

Post by leroysghost »

liked Creepy a lot. Akiko Ashizawa is a highly underrated, seller cinematographer. Kurosawa continues to find novel and impressive low budget tactics to achieve atmospherics.

makes a good double bill with The Wailing actually, not only in its shared "fuck the police" and "oni" angles, but also in sense that one has a laugh out loud tone belying deep emotion while the other is overwrought from the jump belying a deep sense of humor.
"to be precise in any art is to limit its possibilities." - Josef von Sternberg

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

leroysghost wrote:as much as i miss IHM community, i'm intensly embarrassed about everything that was posted here, particularly by me
You shouldn't be - even if you've changed your mind (reading one's old rants and raves can be painful, I know), I really enjoyed your posts LG and discovered a lot of fine movies as a result. So thanks and Happy New Year to you (all, lobsters included) :D
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

FWIW, here's the shortest possible shortlist I've been able to draw up for favourite films seen for the first time in 2016, in case anyone is interested. Hope you might find some you've enjoyed, or will enjoy

Andrea Arnold, Wuthering Heights, 2011

Raoul Ruiz, Comédie de l'innocence, 2000

Larry Cohen, God Told Me To, 1976

Roy Andersson, A Swedish Love Story, 1970

Óskar Jónasson, Reykjavík - Rotterdam, 2008

Chantal Akerman, No Home Movie, 2015

Baltasar Kormákur, Hafið ("The Sea"), 2002

François Ozon, Jeune et jolie, 2013

Mario Monicelli, I soliti ignoti, 1958

H.B."Toby" Halicki, Gone In 60 Seconds, 1974

Leo McCarey, Ruggles of Red Gap, 1935

Raoul Ruiz, Trois vies et une seule mort, 1996

Ben Wheatley, High-Rise, 2015

Zhao Liang, Behemoth, 2015

Alain Jessua, Les chiens, 1979

Grímur Hákonarson, Hrútar ("Rams"), 2015

Georges Franju, Mon chien, 1955

Alan Clarke, Road, 1987

Phil Karlson, Walking Tall, 1973

Yorgos Lanthimos, The Lobster, 2015

Vincent Gallo, The Brown Bunny, 2003

Dan Curtis, Burnt Offerings, 1976

Guillermo del Toro, The Devil's Backbone, 2001

James B. Harris, Cop, 1988

Patricia Mazuy, Peaux de vaches, 1989

John Flynn, Best Seller, 1987

Abbas Kiarostami, The Wind Will Carry Us, 1999

Giulio Questi, Death Laid an Egg, 1968

Ken Russell, Crimes of Passion, 1984

Don Medford, The Hunting Party, 1971
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Hayao Yamaneko

Post by Hayao Yamaneko »

Cheers for the roundup Dan, quite a few I'm interested to see there.

Only two I've seen:

I thought Behemoth was amazing, in the old sense of that word. I don't know if you've seen West of the Tracks (Tie Xe Qu)- another epic doc of Chinese industrialism - but after the tough, relentless, patient realism of that pic I worried at first that Behemoth's more self-consciously artistic approach was going to feel a bit off, maybe even offensively detached and romanticised. But the film doesn't pull its gaze, and the mythical elements really work with the material rather than against it. Great film.

God Told Me To - an old favourite. Such a genuinely strange film, I've only it a couple of times and both times fairly inebriated, and that felt about right. This is an odd connection in a lot of ways, but it has a little bit of the quality that a lot of Ghibli films often have - of something unspooling in front of you, under its own moment-to-moment logic, while at the same time remaining kind of familiar.
Last edited by Hayao Yamaneko on Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

walto

Post by walto »

Thanks a lot Dan. Your threads are awesome, generally.

The only film I can think of that I first saw last year and that really rocked me is Lonergan's Margaret. I hope to see his Manchester By the Sea soon.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

Piano Mouth

Post by Piano Mouth »

Teeth of Love is my number 1 pick for best film I saw this year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg3qcBfPMrE

it's just the trailer for it