Recently Watched Films 2015

Not the stuff on your shower tiles.

Moderator: surfer

Salty Swift

Re: Recently Watched Films 2015

Post by Salty Swift »

Dan Warburton wrote:Image

Philippe Grandrieux, Un lac, 2008

The basic story is simple beyond belief – family eking out an existence cutting down trees in a wild forest in some unnamed Northern European country, brother and sister understandly (perhaps even alarmingly) close until an outsider arrives and eventually persuades the girl to move away with him – but Grandrieux's characteristically jittery and often seriously dark filming adds a strange and disturbing power.
Love the film.....haunting theme. Breath-taking visuals. Thin-story line can be forgiven in this case.
Added bonus - one of the better sex scenes in a tent...
"A little older, a little more confused"

SqDanceCallingSteve

Post by SqDanceCallingSteve »

TYSON (2009) -- Tyson-centered and Tyson-told story of the boxer's life. Thoroughly engrossing, scary, and strangely wonderful. The early fights are something else -- Rhonda Rousey-type dominance in a sport as broadly based and historically established as heavyweight boxing. The late fights, where he clearly shouldn't even be in the ring, are more bizarre than sad. A very odd and isolated man, with a punch like a jackhammer.
www.steveminkin.com

"Time is the school in which we learn,/ Time is the fire in which we burn."
Delmore Schwartz

Piano Mouth

Post by Piano Mouth »

Anyone see straight outta Compton yet? I might check it out this afternoon

SqDanceCallingSteve

TRAINWRECK (2015) -- Amy Schumer/ LeBron James/ JohnCena/ Amare Stoudemire. Nice mix of feel-good and raunchy, pretty funny, nothing memorable but a fun date night movie,
www.steveminkin.com

Delmore Schwartz

walto

Post by walto »

I also just saw Train Wreck. It's a bit funnier and significantly raunchier than the garden variety rom-com, but it's just as formulaic. Also, Hader is completely wasted and his character makes no sense. E.g., there's no reason why he wouldn't have been married (or at least divorced) at the time of this meeting. There are too many athlete scenes and far too much LeBron and Amar'e. One scene with Marv Albert is particularly painful. The funniest scene is the prologue, a flash-back with the father (who's very good) telling his two little girls why having affairs makes sense. It's in some of the trailers and is sure to be on youtube. It's all downhill from there, IMO.

Schumer is funny and talented (and shows some dramatic acting chops), but the movie, if not itself a train wreck is at least a hot mess.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

j-p

Post by j-p »

Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)

The Breakfast Club (1985)

Heathers (1988)

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

not sure how it seems a few decades later, and you and I don't agree much anyway, but Heathers seemed light years above those other two at the time.

also funny that Christian Slater is still basically playing the same character, in Mr. Robot currently.

j-p

Post by j-p »

jon abbey wrote:not sure how it seems a few decades later, and you and I don't agree much anyway, but Heathers seemed light years above those other two at the time.

also funny that Christian Slater is still basically playing the same character, in Mr. Robot currently.
I think they all hold up pretty well, but Heathers is definitely in a league of its own.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

I remember thinking that Fast Times didn't come close to living up to the book which I'd previously read (what does?). I was a high school student at the same time, and my imagination regarding the characters in the book was much more enjoyable than them being nailed down with specific actors.

John Hughes I also never got too into, Ferris Bueller was probably the best one but even that was kind of overhyped.

looking back, I love how cranky and picky I already seem to have been as a teenager... :)

SqDanceCallingSteve

AS YOU LIKE IT (2006) -- Branagh's adaptation and production, although he doesn't appear in it. Easy to watch, and fun, and one of the very most accessible Shakespeare films for non-Shakespeare buffs. Set in 19th Century Japan, visually beautiful, much to like about the film. And yet, some of the cuts from the text are inexcusable, can't imagine what Branagh was thinking. You can't cut key lines and signature speeches! I thought Kevin Kline's Jacques (for which he won an award) was flat. I enjoyed Bryce Dallas Howard as a very feminine and sweet Rosalind, although her performance didn't hold a candle to Pippa Nixon's brilliant and sizzling Rosalind that I saw in Stratford-Upon-Avon. Alfred Molina was quite good as a charming, Chaplinesque Touchstone (although he was robbed of his best speech). Strongest performances were from the two black British actors who played the brothers, Orlando and Oliver. Of course, even medium-good Shakespeare can be great theater, and this is. But I had hoped for more. At least he ended it the right way, with a big celebratory dance by all the 'country copulatives' followed by a neatly done Epilogue delivered as Howard walks through the set's cameras and equipment to her dressing trailer.
Last edited by SqDanceCallingSteve on Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.steveminkin.com

Delmore Schwartz

walto

Post by walto »

jon abbey wrote:I remember thinking that Fast Times didn't come close to living up to the book which I'd previously read (what does?). I was a high school student at the same time, and my imagination regarding the characters in the book was much more enjoyable than them being nailed down with specific actors.

John Hughes I also never got too into, Ferris Bueller was probably the best one but even that was kind of overhyped.

looking back, I love how cranky and picky I already seem to have been as a teenager... :)
FWIW, my older daughter, now just turning 21, was very taken by Heathers, so I guess it still retains some of its power. Both of my daughters really got into Ferris Bueller too for awhile, and we have a poster for that movie in the house somewhere. My own favorite from that ilk, though, was 16 Candles, mostly because Anthony Michael Hall was so funny (and Ringwald was so cute and pouty-cheeked). I absolutely hate Andrew McCarthy and find anything in which he's on the screen for more than about five minutes unwatchable. That alone knocks out a couple of Hughes movies for me. I like the first two-thirds of Heathers.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

Lao Tsu Ben

Post by Lao Tsu Ben »

Big fan of John Hughes here, whose films are not very similar to Heathers anyway. First, they are good-humoured, while retaining a slight tinge of darkness, which makes them a lot subtler than the in-your-face cynicism of Heathers, which is also fun in its own way.
Let's say for instance that John Hughes could be an heir to Jane Austen, while Heathers heralds Chuck Palahniuk.
Some Kind Of Wonderful, Ferris Bueller, Pretty In Pink, Sweet Sixteen, Breakfast Club and others, all variations on the same themes, what a winning streak.

SqDanceCallingSteve

THE AFFAIRS OF DOBIE GILLIS (1953) – A couple of terrific dance numbers by Bobby Van (Dobie), Bob Fosse (his buddy Charlie, pre-dates Maynard), Debbie Reynolds and Barbara Ruick, plus one great song ("I'm Through With Love") and a Hans Conried sighting. But the good stuff is buried in a disappointingly dimwitted and lifeless script by Dobie's creator Max Schulman.
www.steveminkin.com

Delmore Schwartz

Claud601

Post by Claud601 »

When legendary Russian auteur Aleksei German died in 2013, he left behind this extraordinary final film, a phantasmagoric adaptation of the revered sci-fi novel by the Strugatsky brothers (authors of the source novel for Tarkovsky's STALKER). HARD TO BE A GOD began percolating in German's consciousness in the mid-1960s, and would actively consume him for the last 15 years of his life. Happily, he brought the film close enough to completion for his wife and son to apply the finishing touches immediately after his passing. Taking place on the planet Arkanar, which is in the midst of its own Middle Ages, the film focuses on Don Rumata, one of a group of earth scientists who have been sent to Arkanar with the proviso that they must not interfere in the planet's political or historical development. Treated by the planet's natives as a kind of divinity, Don Rumata is both godlike and impotent in the face of its chaos and brutality. (C) Kino Lorber

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Raoul Ruiz, The Territory, 1981

The back story of how the shoot of this film itself fell apart was swiped, along with the entire cast, by Wim Wenders for his The State of Things. One of the better Wenders too, but not as good as this extraordinary tale of a group of (not very likeable) tourists who set off for a trek in the forest and end up getting lost and resorting to cannibalism. Yikes!
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Sally Potter, Orlando, 1992

The BFI DVD bonus disc has a couple of fine documentaries about the trials and tribulations of the shoot in Ouzbekistan (Khiva) and Russia (most of which eventually fell through - Orlando's mansion was Hatfield House in Hertfordshire), and how Jimmy “Bronski Beat” Somerville was dressed up as an angel and hoisted above the trees by a crane.. Fun stuff, very 80s – well, OK, early 90s then – not afraid to show its Greenaway and Jarman influences. Tilda Swinton unsurprisingly excellent (who else could play a character who lives for 400 years and changes sex halfway through?) though how on earth she could fall for such a lousy actor as Billy Zane is beyond me. Nice casting – Quentin Crisp makes a good Queen Bess, and watch out for Lol Coxhill as a butler :)
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Ulrich Seidl, Im Keller, 2014

I could have chosen several other striking images, but our dear moderators wouldn't have let them pass (which I quite understand – if you can't stomach BDSM, go and watch Friends instead). Crikey, you wouldn't believe what those Austrians get up to in their basements.. Is it for real? Surely nobody keeps (very lifelike) latex baby dolls in shoeboxes and goes down to cuddle them? The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw, who's written many of the more intelligent reviews of Seidl's films I've read, isn't as impressed this time http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/au ... val-review but I don't think Seidl is losing his touch. That said, I think he's better these days at telling a long story instead of assembling disturbing vignettes.

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

John Parker, Dementia, 1955

This is a real trip, a genuinely disturbing noir nightmare complete with dark alleys full of sex-starved winos, nasty sweaty cops, basement jazz joints full of shady hookers and a “heroine” who is neither sympathetic nor pretty (check out that sneer). What makes it all the more intriguing is that we have no idea who John Parker was – some folks think it was just a pseudonym for Bruno Ve Sota (mister cigar above) – and nobody knows what became of leading lady Adrienne Barrett. (An actress of that name appears in an Australian film in 1986, but is the same person?) Good bebop from Shorty Rogers, but elsewhere the Antheil soundtrack is annoyingly cloying (and George shamelessly ripped off Stravinsky – these days this kind of pillaging would result in a serious lawsuit). Still, an awesome and unique piece of work.

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Tony Scott, The Hunger, 1983

It's the 80s, all right, and right from the get go with “Bela Lugosi's Dead” over the opening sequence. OK , the story's not much to write home about (vampires, and all that), and the script isn't exactly Nobel Prizewinning literature, but it's great to look at, if style over substance is your thang. And don't worry, David Bowie doesn't stick around all that long.

Return to “I Hate Film”