Favorite films by year
Moderator: surfer
- leroysghost
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: Lovecraft Country
Favorite films by year
this might be a good place for people to lay out their own film educations.
anyone else have a geeky "favorite films by year" running list, or is it just me??
anyone else have a geeky "favorite films by year" running list, or is it just me??
Last edited by leroysghost on Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torn, toiled and troubled
Re: Film Education
Funny, I've been working on that just this week. I'm torn on 1988: "Die Hard" or "Dead Ringers?"leroysghost wrote:anyone else have a geeky "favorite films by year" running list, or is it just me??
In any case, I'd love to see your list.
-
Dan Warburton
- Posts: 7920
- Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am
Re: Film Education
Dekalog (or was that 1989?)jbushnell wrote: I'm torn on 1988: "Die Hard" or "Dead Ringers?"
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais
Re: Film Education
Netflix (not an authority on these matters by any means) says 1987.Dan Warburton wrote:Dekalog (or was that 1989?)jbushnell wrote: I'm torn on 1988: "Die Hard" or "Dead Ringers?"
Re: Film Education
Dead Ringers would probably be my top pick, but it has strong competition from Beetlejuice, Švankmajer's Alice, Tarr's Damnation, Greenaway's Drowning by Numbers, Mike Leigh's High Hopes, Terence Davies's Distant Voices, Still Lives, and Harun Farocki's Images of the World and the Incription of War. My lists tend to be a bit Euro-biased, probably because there are many classic post-60s Hollywood titles I haven't seen.jbushnell wrote:Funny, I've been working on that just this week. I'm torn on 1988: "Die Hard" or "Dead Ringers?
Re: Film Education
Akira.jbushnell wrote:Funny, I've been working on that just this week. I'm torn on 1988: "Die Hard" or "Dead Ringers?"
Re: Film Education
I don't to be the guy on the message boards saying "the comic was better," so I'll just be silent here.Gaendaal wrote:Akira.jbushnell wrote:Funny, I've been working on that just this week. I'm torn on 1988: "Die Hard" or "Dead Ringers?"
Re: Film Education
i'll take care of that then. the comic was better.
m
m
Re: Film Education
IMDB has Heathers as 1988, I'd put both that and Dead Ringers over Akira. Wikipedia has Dekalog as 1988, so maybe that trumps all of them, but really it's apples and oranges and pears and anime.
Re: Film Education
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1988_in_film
So many greats (and, seriously, reminds me that I still need to see Grave Of The Fireflies)
So many greats (and, seriously, reminds me that I still need to see Grave Of The Fireflies)
- leroysghost
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: Lovecraft Country
Re: Film Education
Different sites seem to give different dates for this one: maybe it was all released in one block in 1989, but A Short Film about Killing was definitely 1988, and that was expanded from a Dekalog episode.leroysghost wrote:Dekalog is Dec 1989 on IMDB.
(Maybe this could be the Film Education Anno '88 thread - certainly there were enough good titles that year. Some others: My Neighbour Totoro, Scrooged, Hairspray, Hellbound: Hellraiser 2 [this last an aquired taste, perhaps].)
- leroysghost
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: Lovecraft Country
Re: Film Education
it's a work in progress. i haven't seen a lot of the more recent famous European films (Dekalog, for instance). but since we are both in the greater boston area what the hell: http://www.mediafire.com/?xv0ka1e0ahfl7mkjbushnell wrote:In any case, I'd love to see your list.
i put it in a pdf so everyone doesn't have to suffer.
i haven't been able to watch hardly any film this year, too busy with work/school/etc. however, since one of the things i'm busy with is getting together an informal weekly film series i should be able to get back to it very soon.
torn, toiled and troubled
Re: Film Education
I only got this: "The file “top films by year.pdf” could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize." Sad!leroysghost wrote:i put it in a pdf so everyone doesn't have to suffer..jbushnell wrote:In any case, I'd love to see your list.
Re: Film Education
Leroy just post it here
Re: Film Education
is this it?
From Jon's "Best Movies of the last 10 years" threadleroysghost wrote:this is certainly overkill, but here are my lists of the best films from '97-'07, in vague order of preference:
1997:
Gummo (Harmony Korine)
Lost Highway (David Lynch)
The Eel (Shohei Imamura)
Starship Troopers (Paul Verhoeven)
Little Dieter Needs to Fly (Werner Herzog)
Jackie Brown (Quentin Tarantino)
Happy Together (Wong Kar-wai)
Alien Resurrection (Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
Princess Mononoke (Hayao Miyazaki)
Das Schloß (Michael Haneke)
Fast, Cheap and Out of Control (Errol Morris)
1998:
Festen (Thomas Vinterberg)
Idioterne (Lars von Trier)
Dr. Akagi (Shohei Imamura)
The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick)
The Big Lebowski (Coen Brothers)
Rushmore (Wes Anderson)
Ringu (Hideo Nakata)
Babe: Pig in the City (George Miller)
1999:
Julien Donkey-Boy (Harmony Korine)
The Wind Will Carry Us (Abbas Kiarostami)
Ratcatcher (Lynne Ramsay)
Julianes Sturz in den Dschungel (Werner Herzog)
The Woman Chaser (Robinson Devor)
Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze)
South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (Trey Parker)
Simpan (Chan-wook Park)
Jesus' Son (Alison MacLean)
All About My Mother (Pedro Almodovar)
Mr. Death: The Rise and Fall of Fred A. Leuchter, Jr. (Errol Morris)
My Best Fiend (Werner Herzog)
Fight Club (David Fincher)
Three Kings (David O. Russell)
The Iron Giant (Brad Bird)
2000:
In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai)
Seom (Ki-duk Kim)
Dancer in the Dark (Lars von Trier)
Memento (Christopher Nolan)
Chopper (Andrew Dominik)
The King Is Alive (Kristian Levring)
Sexy Beast (Jonathan Glazer)
Hollow Man (Paul Verhoeven)
Unbreakable (M. Night Shyamalan)
2001:
Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki)
Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch)
Bad Guy (Ki-duk Kim)
Address Unknown (Ki-duk Kim)
À ma sœur!(Catherine Breillat)
Y tu mamá también (Alfonso Cuarón)
Ghost World (Terry Zwigoff)
Suicide (Yvonne Wunschel and Raoul W. Heimrich)
The Man Who Wasn't There (Coen Brothers)
Gosford Park (Robert Altman)
The Piano Teacher (Michael Haneke)
The Royal Tenenbaums (Wes Anderson)
Amélie (Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
Shaolin Soccer (Stephen Chow)
Human Nature (Michel Gondry)
2002:
Oasis (Chang-dong Lee)
Far From Heaven (Todd Haynes)
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Chan-wook Park)
Infernal Affairs (Andrew Lau and Alan Mak)
Morvern Callar (Lynne Ramsay)
Secretary (Steven Shainberg)
Adaptation.(Spike Jonze)
Sex Is Comedy (Catherine Breillat)
Hable con Ella (Pedro Almodóvar)
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (George Clooney)
2003:
The Five Obstructions (Lars von Trier)
The Saddest Music in the World (Guy Maddin)
Oldboy (Chan-wook Park)
Dogville (Lars von Trier)
Memories of Murder (Joon-ho Bong)
Bad Santa (Terry Zwigoff)
The Triplets of Belleville (Sylvain Chomet)
Wheel of Time (Werner Herzog)
The Fog of War (Errol Morris)
Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (Quentin Tarantino)
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (Gore Verbinski)
2004:
Gegen die Wand (Fatih Akin)
Cut (Chan-wook Park)
2046 (Wong Kar-wai)
3-Iron (Ki-duk Kim)
Samaritan Girl (Ki-duk Kim)
The White Diamond (Werner Herzog)
Darwin's Nightmare (Hubert Sauper)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry)
Team America: World Police (Trey Parker)
The Village (M. Night Shyamalan)
The Incredibles (Brad Bird)
Kill Bill: vol. 2 (Quentin Tarantino)
Kung Fu Hustle (Stephen Chow)
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Alfonso Cuarón)
A Very Long Engagement (Jean-Pierre Jeunet)
Sideways (Alexander Payne)
Mean Girls (Mark S. Waters)
Shaun of the Dead (Edgar Wright)
2005:
Stranded in Canton, 1974/2005 (William Eggleston)
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (Cristi Puiu)
Manderlay (Lars von Trier)
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (Chan-wook Park)
Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog)
The Proposition (John Hillcoat)
The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones)
2006:
The Boss of It All (Lars von Trier)
I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK (Chan-wook Park)
Inland Empire (David Lynch)
Children of Men (Alfonso Cuarón)
Borat (Larry Charles)
Bug (William Friedkin)
The Fall (Tarsem Singh)
The Bridge (Eric Steel)
Brand Upon the Brain! (Guy Maddin)
Longford (Tom Hooper)
Casino Royale (Martin Campbell)
Wristcutters: A Love Story (Goran Dukic)
The Prestige (Christopher Nolan)
2007:
El Orfanato (Juan Antonio Bayona)
Grindhouse (Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino)
No Country for Old Men (Coen Brothers)
Encounters at the End of the World (Werner Herzog)
Stellet Licht (Carlos Reygadas)
Mister Lonely (Harmony Korine)
Expired (Cecilia Miniucchi)
Control (Anton Corbijn)
Une Vieille Maîtresse (Catherine Breillat)
My Winnipeg (Guy Maddin)
Stuck (Stuart Gordon)
The King of Kong (Seth Gordon)
The Babysitters (David Ross)
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik)
[Rec] (Jaume Balagueró and Paco Plaza)
The Bourne Ultimatum (Paul Greengrass)
Michael Clayton (Tony Gilroy)
There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson)
Ratatouille (Brad Bird and Jan Pinkava)
Kabluey (Scott Prendergast)
obviously limited to what i've seen and possibly containing some dated impressions from my younger days.
- leroysghost
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: Lovecraft Country
Re: Film Education
that's part of it (minus some embarrassing mistakes that should have been excluded). It is pretty long is the thing. I'll post the entirety here or in a dedicated thread when I get home tonight.
Last edited by leroysghost on Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
torn, toiled and troubled
Re: Film Education
I could go for a dedicated thread on this. I'm going to try to restrict my list to one film a year, which is going to force me to make really sad choices at least a couple of times.leroysghost wrote:I'll post the entirety here or in a dedicated thread when I get home tonight.
- leroysghost
- Posts: 1070
- Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:30 pm
- Location: Lovecraft Country
Re: Favorite films by year
that would be neat idea for another thread, as an aggregate of the single best film per year. personally i find that to be too hard (i tried for 97-07 and it was too difficult), and i'm more interested in peoples personal film canons.
torn, toiled and troubled
