Claude Chabrol..rip

Not the stuff on your shower tiles.

Moderator: surfer

Post Reply
User avatar
Dohol
Posts: 2885
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 3:47 pm
Location: In the heart of the evil empire..
Contact:

Claude Chabrol..rip

Post by Dohol »

“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman


http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

User avatar
sevenarts
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Claude Chabrol..rip

Post by sevenarts »

One of the under-appreciated greats, he'll be missed. His films, as thrillers and, on their surface, seemingly straightforward genre pictures, never quite got the acclaim of Godard or Truffaut among the New Wavers. But the more of his films I see, the more convinced I am of his greatness, a kind of subtle greatness that weaves through all of his work, in the wry below-the-surface humor, the dark satire of the bourgeois, the incisive analysis of people's relationships to one another. I'm glad we'll always have that great body of work he's left behind.

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7920
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Claude Chabrol..rip

Post by Dan Warburton »

I see that our hyperactive President Sarkozy compared him to both Balzac and Rabelais in a tribute yesterday. I rather doubt that Sarko, in his eternal struggle to get to the top of the political tree, has ever had time in his life to read either, but at least the spin doctors who fed him that line were on the money. See Recently Watched Films 2010 thread.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
cheerios
Posts: 704
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:49 pm

Re: Claude Chabrol..rip

Post by cheerios »

Never heard of Claude Chabrol before but I intend on hitting up my local library. Apparently one of his more famous movies is Madam Bovary?
"I'm not your baby's daddy, free love."

User avatar
sevenarts
Posts: 927
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:11 pm
Location: NY
Contact:

Re: Claude Chabrol..rip

Post by sevenarts »

cheerios wrote:Never heard of Claude Chabrol before but I intend on hitting up my local library. Apparently one of his more famous movies is Madam Bovary?
I'd recommend Le Boucher or Les Biches instead - much more characteristic.

User avatar
O'Grady
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 4:49 pm

Re: Claude Chabrol..rip

Post by O'Grady »

When I think of Chabrol, I am reminded of the fantastic Fassbinder's essay on his films: Shadows, to be Sure, and no Pity: A Few Random Thoughts on the Films of Claude Chabrol.

One of my Chabrol favourites is the wonderfully shot Juste avant la nuit

Return to “I Hate Film”