Re: I Hate Television

Post by Piano Mouth »

Definitely Yes to TV
New Season of Silicon Valley is on HBO now
first episode of season 3 only, for now

SqDanceCallingSteve

Post by SqDanceCallingSteve »

Next to last episode of Point of Interest just aired, with some direct discussions about AI, societal security vs privacy, etc., as the series' five season exploration of these issuesand more draws to a close. This final season has seen the deaths of the principled bad guy Elias and of the great character Root (played by Amy Acker, whose Beatrice in Joss Whedon's "Much Ado About Nothing" was memorably good and whose special relationship to The Machine was one of the series' most interesting features). One more episode to wrap it up seems too short, but their viewership is 1/4 - 1/3 of what it has been. I think it will be remembered as one of my all time favorite series -- fresh stories, great action sequences which flirted with the absurd, an excellent and varied ensemble cast, extensive and effective use of flashbacks, and tackling some of the tougher current public concerns. I'll be sorry to see the series end (although I'm still catching up on last year's season 4 in chronological order. First time through, I saw the episodes in random order from all seasons.

Fortunately, many of the same cutting edge themes will no doubt be explored in the second season of Mr. Robot, debuting July 13.

I'm also enjoying watching all seasons of Closer To Truth. Some of it is kind of an updated "How many angels can dance on a pinhead's head," but I find much of it genuinely stimulating as well as a window into contemporary scientific, cosmological, and theological thought. Some of the ideas resonate with me, and I explore them further -- the Autonomous Agents and Adjacent Possible Theory (AAAPT) of Stuart Kauffman, the Hard Problem of Consciousness, The Finely Tuned Universe vs Multiple Universes to explain the Goldilocks Effect, information as cause rather than description . . . stuff like that.
www.steveminkin.com

"Time is the school in which we learn,/ Time is the fire in which we burn."
Delmore Schwartz

walto

Post by walto »

Enjoying Erlich Bachman on Silicon Valley.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

SqDanceCallingSteve

I haven't watched Silicon Valley, but with two mentions of it on this page I thought I'd tell you that the wedding I called/ DJ's/ emceed on Saturday was at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View in a room featuring an exhibition of "The Founding Documents of Silicon Valley," the patent notebooks of Fairchild Semiconductor: http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_20974528/ ... ory-museum
www.steveminkin.com

Delmore Schwartz

walto

Post by walto »

As the resident Trollopean here, I can tell you that the new Fellowes Dr. Thorne starts off pretty badly. I've only seen the first episode so far and didn't see any of Downton Abbey, so I don't know if the trash I HAVE now seen is representative or not.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

SqDanceCallingSteve

Strong opening episode of Season Three of MURDER IN THE FIRST -- the murder of a NFL QB, breast cancer for one of the detectives, and the DA arrested for vehicular homicide. I've enjoyed both previous seasons.

Looking forward to a TV series about Shakespeare's youth, debuting next year, could be terrible but the teaser looks promising:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIbGTP4iaC0
www.steveminkin.com

Delmore Schwartz

walto

Post by walto »

walto wrote:As the resident Trollopean here, I can tell you that the new Fellowes Dr. Thorne starts off pretty badly. I've only seen the first episode so far and didn't see any of Downton Abbey, so I don't know if the trash I HAVE now seen is representative or not.
Rest wasn't any better. The lead actress is beautiful, the scenery is nice and the acting is generally good, but the whole thing is shitty. Vic lit for costume junkies.

walto

Post by walto »

I'm wondering if the other Mr. Robot watchers are getting as much of a David Lynch vibe as I am from the first couple of season 2 episodes.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

nah. Lynch is way more inspired. Mr. Robot is also truly inspired at times, but it is just so manipulative and preachy. episode 2 seemed to last about four years, endless.

walto

Post by walto »

I wasn't thinking so much of the quality (though I'd note that Lynch isn't always inspired either). I think the vibe I'm getting is based more on the surface, stylistic qualities--the dreaminess (including dream or drug-induced sections) , the movements back and forth from scene to scene, the long close-ups, the use of music, etc.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

I mean, the creator steals almost everything (call it homage if you are a fan, theft if you are not), Fight Club is the main one, Insomnia (the original Norwegian one was a big one this week), the list goes on and on. Lynch is a massive influence on many things in recent decades, but that never occurred to me while watching Mr Robot.

walto

Post by walto »

Speaking of Mr. Robot and music, Holst "Planets" the other night.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

such a self-indulgent show despites moments of brilliance, the last two episodes have been epically long slogs.

SqDanceCallingSteve

Watched the first of this season's Mr. Robot and have balked at watching the rest, although I will get to them eventually. Season Two opened way too talky and unfocused.

But I've enjoyed the first two episodes of Queen of the South, gringo remake of the Telemundo hit based on the true story of the woman who rose from the streets of Sinaola to head the biggest Mexican drug cartel. Action packed, emotionally riveting, and visually ensnaring. I will watch them all.

www.steveminkin.com

Delmore Schwartz

Hayao Yamaneko

Post by Hayao Yamaneko »

SqDanceCallingSteve wrote:Watched the first of this season's Mr. Robot ... Season Two opened way too talky and unfocused.
I think it's fair to say it continues that way. I think it's trying to fall back on character arcs, but since it doesn't really have characters so much as playing pieces to move around the board, that doesn't really work. Increasingly feels like a show that doesn't know what it is.

It's definitely not a True Detective 2 experience of participating in a spectacular but squalid drunken car crash. More like the experience of buying an exotic high performance car in season 1, then getting it home for season 2 and realising you're mostly just going to drive it sedately round a neighbourhood you already know pretty well. Occasionally you get to speed away from a traffic light. But you look a bit of a dick driving it round here. If you're just going to drive around like that you're better off in your old Nissan Micra.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

yeah, the last two have been so slow and uneventful that I don't even really want to watch this week's, thinking about stopping it.

walto

Post by walto »

Hayao Yamaneko wrote:
SqDanceCallingSteve wrote:Watched the first of this season's Mr. Robot ... Season Two opened way too talky and unfocused.
I think it's fair to say it continues that way. I think it's trying to fall back on character arcs, but since it doesn't really have characters so much as playing pieces to move around the board, that doesn't really work. Increasingly feels like a show that doesn't know what it is.

It's definitely not a True Detective 2 experience of participating in a spectacular but squalid drunken car crash. More like the experience of buying an exotic high performance car in season 1, then getting it home for season 2 and realising you're mostly just going to drive it sedately round a neighbourhood you already know pretty well. Occasionally you get to speed away from a traffic light. But you look a bit of a dick driving it round here. If you're just going to drive around like that you're better off in your old Nissan Micra.
Hahaha. Excellent!

Hayao Yamaneko

Post by Hayao Yamaneko »

:D

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

this week's Mr. Robot was better, I will stick it out for the rest of the season probably at least.

dialectics of shit

Post by dialectics of shit »

Hayao Yamaneko wrote:It's definitely not a True Detective 2 experience of participating in a spectacular but squalid drunken car crash. More like the experience of buying an exotic high performance car in season 1, then getting it home for season 2 and realising you're mostly just going to drive it sedately round a neighbourhood you already know pretty well. Occasionally you get to speed away from a traffic light. But you look a bit of a dick driving it round here. If you're just going to drive around like that you're better off in your old Nissan Micra.
love this description

Return to “I Hate Film”