I Hate Television

Not the stuff on your shower tiles.

Moderator: surfer

leroysghost

I Hate Television

Post by leroysghost »

jon abbey wrote: [Twin Peaks is] one of the best two or three TV shows of all time (along with The Wire and possibly Breaking Bad if it can keep it up).
Gerardo A wrote: Haven't seen Breaking Bad, but Lars von Trier's The Kingdom should be added to that list.
Gerardo A wrote:
jon abbey wrote: I've seen [The Kingdom] (at least the first set, I believe there was a sequel), not even close for me.
I actually preferred LVT's brasher take on TV than Lynch's, although I must see Twin Peaks again soon. My hierarchy would be The Wire-The Kingdom-Twin Peaks. BTW if you didn't think much of the first season of The Kingdom, there's no need for you to watch the second one, which is less strong.
jon abbey wrote:Twin Peaks isn't exactly Lynch's vision throughout, he wasn't involved at all for a good bit of the middle, if I recall correctly.

and I liked The Kingdom, but nowhere near the level of the other series mentioned here (The Prisoner should probably get a shout-out also).
jpeatt wrote:
rlrds wrote:
billygomberg wrote: I'm gonna toss in a vote for "Deadwood" b/c I really loved that show.
Agreed. It's unfortunate that it wasn't allowed to finish out it's story arc for whatever stupid reason.
Yes. Although to be fair, I think they made a reasonable hand of an ending that was forced upon them and necessitated loose ends.
seconded, a really classy way to end leaving you wanting more (and iirc there weren't any arcs actually left unfinished).
"to be precise in any art is to limit its possibilities." - Josef von Sternberg

leroysghost

Re: I Hate Television

Post by leroysghost »

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF2ntZku ... re=related)
Carnivàle (HBO 2003-2005)

this is a fun one. canceled with a cliffhanger after two seasons. a satisfying mix of magic, religion, carnival sleeze and dustbowl atmosphere.
Clancy Brown is a laugh and a half and John Carroll Lynch almost steals the entire second season. the always welcome Michael J. Anderson is also a treat.
Last edited by leroysghost on Mon May 17, 2010 4:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

leroysghost

Post by leroysghost »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZSd-tn ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCgNuLhl ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubfTXGy9 ... re=related
Gossip Girl (The CW 2007–present)

please tell me i'm not the only Gossip Girl fan here. still arguably the best thing on tv right now, this sardonic soap opera has become such a well oiled machine over the years. the show is still going strong even after a dodgy attempt at a spin off and the sacrificing of a major character to the marketing demon. no mean feat that.

my favorite thing about it is that each character's every action fits their persona to a tee so as to ensure maximum hit percentage:
the Humphrey men will always be oblivious.
the van der Woodsen women will always complicate everything.
Chuck and Blair will always be sexy schemers.
Jenny will always be the fuck up.
Eric will always be the reasonable one.
Nate will be treated like shit by everyone and Vanessa will always be the worst character ever.

plus, what a crazy cast of actor names:
Blake Lively
Leighton Meester
Penn Badgley
Taylor Momsen
Connor Paolo
etc. etc.

worth watching, even if (like me) this type of show would normally not be your thing at all.
Last edited by leroysghost on Mon May 17, 2010 4:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

we watch Gossip Girl, but it is not good.

leroysghost

Post by leroysghost »

maybe not, but i think it succeeds compared to unwatchable lame crap like 90210 or The OC. so i refuse to feel guilty about enjoying it.

Alastair
liver the size of brazil

Post by Alastair »

Gossip Girl is great but I'm only on series two, so no spoilers please. 8-)

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

"great". :D
leroysghost wrote:maybe not, but i think it succeeds compared to unwatchable lame crap like 90210 or The OC. so i refuse to feel guilty about enjoying it.
those I have never seen. the girls are quite hot, I'll give you that.

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

For once, I actually really do hate TV, and don't have one (why do you think I spend so much time watching DVDs?). No mobile phone either. Prehistoric, I know, but I like to think it helps me stay sane. (Did I say that?)
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

billygomberg

Post by billygomberg »

I don't have cable at home - just a kinda busted antenna. Most of my TV watching is downloads (skip commercials, watch when I have/want the time).

with all the travel I've done this year I've plowed through a couple of series that have caught my interest.

Mad Men I found to be a lot of fun, for similar reasons to why I love Deadwood - great ensemble cast who just sink into their characters, a number of interesting storylines going on at once, great costume & sets. It ain't no Deadwood, but I'll take what I can get.

I also got into Fringe this spring after reading a very positive review in which it was revealed that the main story arc has to do with the existence of, and conflict between, multiple realities. the first season is really a bunch of old X-Files scripts, but the second season has been pretty darn good. doesn't help that two recent literary pleasures of mine, Iain M Banks' Transistion and Pynchon's Against The Day (ok this one still in progress), have used the same idea.

also watching Lost fall apart over the last few seasons has given me reason to find shows that actually stay cohesive.

so I should move on to Breaking Bad next?

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

Breaking Bad is still great, 2/3 of the way through its third season now (maybe 28 episodes so far?). I'm talking top 5 alltime US drama series great.

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

+1 for Breaking Bad !

Gerardo A

Post by Gerardo A »

billygomberg wrote:also watching Lost fall apart over the last few seasons has given me reason to find shows that actually stay cohesive.
Yeah, seasons 4 and 5 of Lost were a bummer. But the series finale looks like it will be good, these last few episodes (I think there are only 2 left before the finale) have been surprisingly strong.

Oh and I also watch online 100% of the TV shows I watch. I hadn't really been watching TV until I heard Jon and others raving about The Wire here, so I watched it and now I got the TV bug again. If anyone understands Spanish, there's an awesome Argentinian TV show about a serial killer, Epitafios, its 1st season is miles ahead in terms of formal clarity and is harsher than things like Dexter. The following season doesn't look that good. I also dig Weeds, the first 2 or 3 seasons were great, then it had a low stretch (the parts with Albert Brooks on season 4 were unbearably bad), but it picked up the rhythm for me in the middle of season 4.
Last edited by Gerardo A on Mon May 17, 2010 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

To my surprise, I am a huge fan of Friday Night Lights.
Breaking Bad is amazing.
I have nearly flipped 360 from really enjoying The Daily Show, to being really annoyed by Stewart and the present crew.
The Office and 30 Rock [the latter still has its moments] need to pull the plug, respecting a decent legacy.
I don't watch any of these regularly, except the top two. And those not on tv w/commercials.
http://crowwithnomouth.wordpress.com/

Experimental music should be something that suggests a way of organizing your thinking, your attitude toward the world, which suggests that the world could be different.
Christian Wolff 2014

billygomberg

Post by billygomberg »

alright so Breaking Bad will be my next stop. thanks for the recs. still need to finish The Wire but s2 was really slow going, and Anne made me promise to wait for her on s3.

Anyone who hasn't seen The Kingdom and is reading this thread should probably commit to the handful of hours of insane television that LVT drops there. seen it a few times and it's always great.

leroysghost

Post by leroysghost »

yeah, Riget (The Kingdom) rules. Danskjävlar!!!!

the first season of Breaking Bad seemed rather uneven to me (good acting, bad premise) so i haven't been keeping up with it. but since everyone is saying that it has really taken off i guess it's time to get back into it.

i like Mad Men a lot, particularly the most recent season. the current season of 30 Rock is strong, and the new sitcom Community is great. i've always hated the cast of the american Office, none of them strike me as very funny.

the first season of Friday Night Lights was ok but the second and third seasons went down hill fast. all the characters were set adrift in an aimless sea of the same two or three faux-doc handheld camera moves.
SPOILER wrote:the show never recovered from that random murder plot in season two...and then there was that tornado episode....
billygomberg wrote:also watching Lost fall apart over the last few seasons has given me reason to find shows that actually stay cohesive.
this is one of the things i like about Lost. they really created a monster with that pacing mechanism and, despite their best efforts, they have so far been utterly unable to slow it down (because they know it's the only thing that is keeping people watching). can't wait to see what happens when it collides with the brick wall that is the series finale next week. i guess a 2 1/2 hour single take dialogue scene is too much to wish for, but i'm hopeful that they writers will do something interesting like when they pulled a flash forward at the end of season 3.
Last edited by leroysghost on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leroysghost

Post by leroysghost »

have you seen the new Timothy Olyphant show Justified yet Billy? i've seen the first eight episodes and it looks very promising, lots of snappy conversations and clever plot lines. no where near as grandiose as Deadwood, but a hell of a lot of fun so far.

Gerardo A

Post by Gerardo A »

leroysghost wrote:Danskjävlar!!!!
And LVT has said that the main reason for not being able to make a 3rd season of The Kingdom is that both Ernst-Hugo and Kirsten Rolffes are dead.

billygomberg

Post by billygomberg »

leroysghost wrote:have you seen the new Timothy Olyphant show Justified yet Billy? i've seen the first eight episodes and it looks very promising, lots of snappy conversations and clever plot lines. no where near as grandiose as Deadwood, but a hell of a lot of fun so far.
no I haven't. hasn't been on when I've been in hotels or I haven't been able to catch it. I mean, it looks like Olyphant doing basically the same thing, which he was really good at. I've read good words on it so it may get tracked down.

leroysghost

Post by leroysghost »

billygomberg wrote:I mean, it looks like Olyphant doing basically the same thing, which he was really good at.
he is doing basically the same thing, the twist is that it takes place in modern times and so he is treated as something of an anachronism (living my life long dream of wearing a stetson hat in public and getting away with it).

leroysghost

Post by leroysghost »

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlTN9p9sdhk)
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (2005–present)

if you are in the mood for even more insane television. it's kind of like Seinfeld with perpetually drunk morons. has it's moments.
Last edited by leroysghost on Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “I Hate Film”