Recently Watched Films 2020

Not the stuff on your shower tiles.

Moderator: surfer

Dan Warburton

Re: Recently Watched Films 2020

Post by Dan Warburton »

Wim Wenders, Until the End of the World, 1991

Over a decade in the making and plagued by budget problems all the way, Wenders' ultimate road movie (I don't think it's his best road movie - Kings of the Road for me - and in fact it stops being one altogether about halfway through) came out in 1991, though was ostensibly set in 1999. Wim obviously did his homework - you can see Jean Nouvel's never-to-be-built Tour sans fin on the Paris La Défense skyline - and some of the gadgets he incorporates have now become bog-standard: cars that tell you you're tired and to take a rest - fuck, that annoys me! - satnav, videophones, well nearly.. The only version worth watching is the director's cut, all 4h47 of it - but you can quite easily break it up and watch it over three evenings, as we did. First time I saw it was when it came out in a special evening-long promo screening (at the time my then wife was a press attaché at Warner Brothers and the soundtrack album was getting some seriously heavy plugging - deservedly so, as it's very good), and I remember enjoying the first half very much and losing interest once they all arrive in the mad scientist's lab in the Australian wilderness. I was also underwhelmed by Solveig Dommartin and Sam Neill. Anyway, happy to report it's stood the test of time quite well, and I appreciated both of them much more this time round. Think of them more as cartoon characters and it works well. Robby Müller's photography is stunning, and Wenders' eye for colour and detail reminds me of American Zoetrope-era Coppola (think One From The Heart, and Wenders' own flawed but intriguing AZ production Hammett). Even the NHK computer-generated dream images have aged well, and look beautiful - though I have to admit I've never had a dream that looked as colourful. Sure, the storyline's a bit pat and naïve, but who's complaining?
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

henriq wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 9:24 am
Dan Warburton wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 11:58 pm
Meanwhile -

Éric Rochant - Les Patriotes (1994)

I imagine you're right, though I'm not likely to want to watch Munich to find out. Yes, calling him Bill Haydon was a tad obvious, wasn't it? Good soild cast, well done, but spy films / novels generally aren't my thing (I could never finish a Le Carré book and I eventually gave up on the BBC TTSS, despite Alec Guinness). Of course, the fact that it begins with that classic disclaimer (fictitious characters and all that) means you know it's basically a true story. Or rather two true stories (Hippolyte Girardot's character being the link), of which I much preferred the first one with Stevenin.
Oh yes, completely, the French setting is superior. Love the chill of the agent calling Stevenin up as he is about to crack... It wobbles quite some bit with Richard Masur, a sentimental pathos that seems a little out of place. Munich: yes, you would probably hate it, though it has both Michel Lonsdale and Mathieu Amalric in it. Damning with faint praise, as they say, but it is good for a Spielberg: or maybe it seemed good or even great at the time because it avoided the obvious trappings. Should look at it again to see if it holds up, I remember I loved it at the time.
And many years later, Rochant has been the showrunner of "Le bureau des légendes", which has its moments (tv show about the undercover DGSE agents).

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Hey Antoine, good to see ya back!
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS

Antoine

Post by Antoine »

yeah, i somehow managed to lose the ip address ; thanks to a pm, i'm back!

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

the man who fell to earth by nicolas roeg. i'm sure i was more surprised to find i didn't like this than anybody else will be. i thought it would be a nostalgic revisit of a proven classic, but time seems to have sucked all atmosphere out of this, despite the pretty photography. there's no weirdness (except fleeting scenes of teletubbies after the diet family life), rather the film is textured like slightly hysterical social satire (kind of 50s social satire at that, judging from the girlfriend's hairdo development), with a hammy david bowie playing the alcoholism and tv addiction strictly for laughs ... the infamous gun in bed scene is embarrassing and makes no sense except for one-upping blow up (and generally making fun of hippie flicks seems to be central to this thing). i would have counted roeg as a favorite director when i was young, but this makes it three utter disappointments in a row (this, don't look back, and the one with einstein and marilyn in a hotel room) ... cannot regather the vibe his movies once seemed to have.

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Wombatz wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:07 am
the man who fell to earth by nicolas roeg. i'm sure i was more surprised to find i didn't like this than anybody else will be. i thought it would be a nostalgic revisit of a proven classic, but time seems to have sucked all atmosphere out of this, despite the pretty photography.
You didn't like it much ten years ago (you remind me of my dad, who used to go back to fish and chip shops he didn't like just to see if they'd got any better - they hadn't :) ), and I agree with you now as then (Teletubbies, haha, word). Roeg was always about cinematography and montage - storyline and acting come down the list of what he appears to consider important: it doesn't matter that Art Garfunkel couldn't act his way out of a paper bag (he couldn't sing very well either), Bad Timing's virtuoso juggling of fabula and syuzhet is a blast; and who really goes for that Little Red Riding Hood voodoo nonsense in Don't Look Now when you've got the spectacular love scene and those gorgeous shots of Venice? TMWFTO has nothing much to redeem it, on the other hand, as I recall. And reading your write-up doesn't exactly whet my appetite for a return visit. But keep the words coming!

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Jim Sheridan, In the Name of the Father, 1993

Much to admire in Day-Lewis' and Postlethwaite's performances, though I remain bemused by the apparent incessant need to proclaim the former as The World's Greatest Actor, but the substantial liberties taken with the historical facts tilt the balance between documentary and fiction way too far towards fiction. Specifically (IMDb): "The Guildford 4 and the Maguire family had separate trials. 'Joe McAndrew', the I.R.A. man who befriends Gerry Conlon in prison, was entirely fictional. Gerry and Giuseppe Conlon were in different prisons for most of their sentences. Although solicitor Gareth Peirce was instrumental in investigating and preparing Gerry Conlon's case for the High Court of Appeal, she could not present the case in court because, due to British legal system rules, this could only be done by a trial barrister. Michael Mansfield, a barrister and Q.C. (Queens Council) presented the case. Also, Peirce never represented or even met Giuseppe Conlon, who died in 1980, nine years before the appeal was heard." So the prison riot and Thompson's hysterical outbursts in court are just noise. I hope DDL thought his preparation for the role, which involved having himself banged up in a prison cell and verbally and physically abused by other cast members, was worth it. Roger Ebert's review closes with sentiments I share: "[T]he film is somehow less than it should be. The urgency of the early scenes is lost when the story turns to prison life, and I began to feel that dialogue and events were repeating themselves. Points about the prison years and the fight for an appeal are made too painstakingly, and there is much dialog when a little would have done. I had the feeling that if 10 or 12 minutes had been edited from the film, from the scenes behind bars, that would have made a big difference. [S]omehow the story doesn't coil and spring; it simply unfolds." Where's Costa-Gavras when you need him?

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

Dan Warburton wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:08 am
Wombatz wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:07 am
the man who fell to earth by nicolas roeg. i'm sure i was more surprised to find i didn't like this than anybody else will be. i thought it would be a nostalgic revisit of a proven classic, but time seems to have sucked all atmosphere out of this, despite the pretty photography.
You didn't like it much ten years ago (you remind me of my dad, who used to go back to fish and chip shops he didn't like just to see if they'd got any better - they hadn't :) ), and I agree with you now as then (Teletubbies, haha, word).
oh wow, i don't remember seeing the film ten years ago at all! nothing was that familiar ... now i read that back then i still thought: "it seems to have kept some of the strangeness that I loved in Roeg when I was little and which is so hard to discover again watching through more jaded eyes. Bowie seems genuinely out of touch with everything." that's all gone now, i'm afraid.

over the weekend, i introduced the boys to this here classic, and happily it still delivers:

fantastic voyage, 1966, richard fleischer. so tight and well-done, the film never milks its drama or team conflicts and can skim along on the verge of the impossible all the more effectively for that. and so good-looking ... i always enjoy 1960s garage sale psychedelics anyway, but its a tribute to the film's style that my boys made only one disparaging remark on vintage green-screen effects very early on. they also enjoyed the main hero's mild-mannered sexism, so this masterpiece just doesn't seem to date at all ...

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Dan Warburton wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:34 am

Anna Karina, Vivre ensemble, 1972

allmovie.com: "The stodgy life that schoolteacher Alain led before he met Julie was all that kept him together. When they become lovers, she induces him to loosen up and introduces him to her drug-taking, hippie friends. At first he cannot get along with them, but eventually he loses his job and gives himself over to drugs and drink. She tries increasingly frantically to keep him with her, but he finally walks out on her. By that time, they have had a baby."
How much better the late great Anna Karina's only venture into directing would have been if she'd secured the services of a decent male actor instead of the decidedly dull Michel Lancelot is a question worth pondering. Karina is a fragile creature, and above that famous smile are those melancholy eyes - but without a solid actor to play off (and what happens to Alain is more important in the movie than what happens to her), frustration sets in. But anyway, a great period piece, now waiting for some decent subs to show up. Meanwhile, RIP once again.
This is now on temporary freeleech at KG, with English subs. There's a new 1080 rip too. Enjoy

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

Derek Jarman -- The Tempest

Finally bailed on Prospero's Books to watch this one, and I was blown away. I thought this was a very powerful, funny, brilliantly envisioned interpretation, probably just as quirky as Greenway's film, but adhering much more tightly to the text. Not sure it's for everyone, and I see the critical reviews are somewhat mixed. But I can't think of a Shakespeare film except for the Brooks/ Scofield Lear that I've liked this much on first watching. I'm not going to attempt a coherent summary until I get a chance to watch it again. Surprise appearance of the late, great Elisabeth Welsh in Prospero's final pageant.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

The Professor and the Madman (2019) Mel Gibson, Sean Penn

A pretty good movie, partially ruined for me by having read the much better book. The true story on which it is based is extraordinary – an ambitious autodidact played by Gibson convinces Oxford University that he's the man to put in charge of the new project, to create a definitive English dictionary, the OED. Gibson's character farms out the work to the whole country, asking for contributions of derivations and usages of words through the centuries. He received over 10,000 contributions from a doctor in mental institution, high quality work. He visits the man, assuming he runs the institution, and discovers his brilliant contributor is an American physician with extreme PTSD from the American Civil War, serving a life sentence for murder.

It's a great story and a great book, 'The Surgeon of Crowthorne' by Simon Winchester, later retitled The Professor and the Madman. What the movie does that pissed me off was hugely increase the roles of the widow of the man the doctor killed while delusional, as well as the roles of her family and of Gibson's wife. It may be that they felt they had to do this because the book and its main subject is intellectual and geeky, which I'm sure works better in a book than on the big screen. But it moved the story into an area that wasn't part of it.

It's a great story, and if you don't want to read the book this is an acceptable second best. But there was probably a great movie in here that didn't get made.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

CRAZY RICH ASIANS

I'm sure I'm one of the last people in America to see this movie. Based on what I'd been told about it, I was sure it was going to be shallow, Hollywoody, and over the top; and while it was Hollywoody and overdone, it wasn't shallow, had a solid and involving storyline, and was much more fun that I thought it would be. I loved Awkwifina's tv show and her performance in the fine film The Farewell (reviewed beloew), so hearing that she was in this was what finally got me to watch it. Very nicely done, and a pleasant surprise.
Last edited by Steve Minkin on Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

Goldfinger (1965) Saw this at its debut in NYC, 2 AM showing iirc. Don't think I've watched it all the way through since, until now. Still fun.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

CADILLAC RECORDS (2008) – Story of Chess Records, Leonard Chess (his brother Phil is all but left out), Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Howlin' Wolf, Chuck Berry, Etta James, Willie Dixon and others. The music carries the film, as it should. The script is a bit of a mess, trying to cram too many stories and too much melodrama into too small a space. But we know the big story, so the hysterical ins and outs are ignorable, but they don't help the film.

Beyonce as James is a revelation. She's fine as an actress, and – high though the bar may be – absolutely kills the songs. Outstanding! Eamonn Walker as the intimidating but savvy Wolf also impressed.

Demerits for leaving out Bo Diddley and The Moonglows. Still, worth seeing for the stories, for a feel for the time, and most of all for the music.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

TAKEN (2008) – Liam Neeson.

Formulaic action flick with Neeson as a retired black ops agent rescuing his daughter from Albanian sex traffickers. Unremarkable domestic drama for the first 25 minutes, then Neeson becomes a combination Bond/ Rambo/ Thor action figure. OK, involving enough for what it is and Neeson is good enough to make it semi-believable. But I'll skip the sequels.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

IRWIN AND FRAN (2013) – Gentle documentary about the great 'Professor' Irwin Corey, The World's Foremost Authority, which I wish were a lot better than it is. It's filmed when Irwin is between the ages of 95 and 98, and too little of his great archival footage is included in the movie. Irwin and his (mostly silent) wife of 70 years are still lucid and clever; but the slow-paced reminiscences don't serve the under-rated old comic as well as the brilliant but too short and too few samples of the man in his prime. Dick Gregory has several spots in which he claims that the opportunities Irwin gave him led to his success, and those of future black comics, although it's clear that his affection for Corey may cause him to overstate the case. Susan Sarandon is an old family friend and also provides some of the narration.

Corey was blacklisted in his prime, which damaged his career for years to come. He was part of the cutting edge of American comedy along with Lenny Bruce and Lord Buckley, and he deserves a film treatment that showcases his brilliance – "Why is the sky blue? These are really two questions. First question, Why?" And then he goes into a dazzling three-minute roller-coaster speech that always hovers just on the edge of making sense and covers Roman history, Keynesian economics, baseball, Mozart, and parking in New York City. "Second question, Is the sky blue? Yes!"

This is not that film. This is a gentle little movie, almost a home movie, about an old man who gave himself a paper route so he'd get excercise and have something to do, and his wife, and their strolls down an extraordinary but bittersweet memory lane.

Steve Minkin

Post by Steve Minkin »

Apologies for the duplicate posts, I lost track of when I couldn't access ihm.

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Well worth waiting for! (I'll pass on Mel Gibson though if you don't mind..) Welcome back, Steve

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Steve Minkin wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:46 am

Derek Jarman -- The Tempest

Finally bailed on Prospero's Books to watch this one, and I was blown away. I thought this was a very powerful, funny, brilliantly envisioned interpretation, probably just as quirky as Greenway's film, but adhering much more tightly to the text. Not sure it's for everyone, and I see the critical reviews are somewhat mixed. But I can't think of a Shakespeare film except for the Brooks/ Scofield Lear that I've liked this much on first watching. I'm not going to attempt a coherent summary until I get a chance to watch it again. Surprise appearance of the late, great Elisabeth Welsh in Prospero's final pageant.
Delighted you enjoyed this - it's a blast! Thanks for making me want to watch it again :)

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Raoul Peck, I Am Not Your Negro, 2016

Topical, to say the least. Excellent documentary, superbly made, well narrated (Samuel Jackson, good job) and.. well Baldwin was on the one. Quotations abound (go Google), but here's one: “I am speaking as a member of a certain democracy and a very complex country that insists on being very narrow-minded. Simplicity is taken to be a great American virtue along with sincerity. One of the results of this is that immaturity is taken to be a great virtue, too.”

Return to “I Hate Film”