Recently Watched Films 2017

Not the stuff on your shower tiles.

Moderator: surfer

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Craig MacNeill, The Boy, 2015

Didn't this nine-year-old have school to go to instead of picking up roadkill and casually robbing the very few people who deigned to spend the night at his dad's failing motel in the middle of nowhere? Maybe it all happened in the holidays. Boys is nasty, said Mr. Weazly. But we knew that already.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image
Wombatz wrote:
Piano Mouth wrote:Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts?
no thoughts. i hate it, it's daft and thinks the world of itself. (there is a body in the park, it's in the movie, all the pretentious mock-poetic mummery and meta-media mystifications can't undo that.) pointless but pretty.
Piano Mouth wrote:Wombatz, I feel the same way, I really do! I couldn't have put it better.
Hm, you said you liked it above. I don't see why you feel you have to agree with everyone else on the board, Mark - there's nothing wrong with having an opinion and defending it. You can't like everything, anyway. It's easy to see why Blow Up rubs people up the wrong way. It's very much of its time, and has obviously dated. So has the first Pink Floyd album, which I also still enjoy (it's the only one I still get any pleasure out of). Other works just step out of the space provided altogether: the first AMM albums, for example. Vive la différence - fight for your corner!
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Jacques Deray, Trois hommes à abattre, 1980

Not as good as Deray's earlier 70s thrillers – I heartily recommend Un homme est mort and Un papillon sur l'épaule (see reviews passim) – but Delon, who co-wrote and produced, always looks good (“I always said if I had to fuck a guy, I'd fuck Delon” :) ). And there's a terrific car chase. Not sure that makes up for the somewhat convoluted plot though, to be honest.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Fritz Lang, Cloak and Dagger, 1946

Gary Cooper winks and squints his amiable way through this rambling spy thriller (top US research scientist becomes swashbuckling hero working undercover in Switzerland and Italy to stop those darstardly Narzies getting their paws on an atom bomb, I say, jolly good plot what), which ends happily ever after as you might expect. Lili Palmer does the best she can with the difficult role of Gina, but imagine how much better it would have been if Fritz had cast Bergman instead. I guess she was tied up with another Hollywood hearthrob at the time (Cary Grant in Notorious).
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
dialectics of shit
Posts: 166
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:14 am
Location: Portland, OR

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by dialectics of shit »

jon abbey wrote:
dialectics of shit wrote:2046 > In the Mood for Love
Chungking Express is better than both, that is my favorite of his.
that's fine, but i'm comparing 2046 and ItMfL because one is a sequel of the other, not because they're from the same director

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

François Ozon, Frantz, 2016

Very nicely filmed and all that, with vintage trains and splendid footage of picture-postcard streets in Saxony and Burgundy, and it will doubtless appeal to all those folks over here who have their Tvs permanently tuned to the Franco-German cultural channel Arte, hence I suppose the casting of bilingual players Paula Beer and Pierre Niney, but I found it a bit.. meh is word, if you'll allow me to use it as an adjective.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Kelly Reichardt, Rivers of Grass, 1994

You can see where Reichardt was headed already in her on-the-lam/road movie debut (though it's not much of a road movie actually as our misfits never get beyond the first tollbooth out of Miami :) ), but the influences of Jarmusch and Malick (those Badlandsy voiceovers.. dearie me) are a little too strong. Not that I have anything against Jim and Terrence (well, early Terrence), but it took Reichardt a bit longer to get into her stride and connect with that weary Carver-like sensibility that emerged so forcefully with Old Joy and (see above) Wendy and Lucy.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Milton Katselas, Report to the Commissioner, 1975

I thought this was terrific, sucker that I am for grungy 70s NYC cop movies, but I can see why it never charted like French Connection or Dog Day Afternoon or Pelham 123: the narrative is fractured into a complex series of flashbacks and overlaid narration, several plot lines are left dangling (who did shoot Susan Butler after all?), and it certainly doesn't end happily for Michael Moriarty, who delivers a great performance as the naïve rookie cop. Excellent supporting role for Yaphet Kotto, and watch out for cameos from William Devane and.. Richard Gere as a pimp. Deserves to be much better known.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
Piano Mouth
Posts: 687
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Piano Mouth »

Re: Dan,

even if its in a squeaky voice. My opinions change a lot though, I think more so than I realize. That being said I couldn't sit through the three colors of Kieslowski, but they are showing Dekalog I think the last half of the episodes at a local cinema, and I wonder if I should go. I saw the new Jarmusch movie, which was pretty good, and finally there was a dog in a film that was unlikeable! Yay?

Paterson, Dir. Jim Jarmusch

Image

Paterson, NJ I guess where Allen Ginsberg AND William Carlos Williams are from? It's kind of funny being a lit major and knowing bits and pieces about WCW like how he supposedly beat his wife and was mentally abusing her too, and that famous poem about the plums, and having Williams be this "amateur" poet's/busdriver by day's favorite poet. The guy, a little more grown up now, from the Wes Anderson movie about the preteens was in it, but so what? ok so he did a cameo I guess. Anyway, it's a week in the life of the day jobbing bus driving poet by night who goes to a frequent bar and has an Indian girlfriend who likes to bake cupcakes and do interior painting as well as making pies, with everything leading up to *spoiler*:[color=#FFBFFF]their dog eating his book of poems that he had handwritten, without any xeroxed copies[/color]. Some unmemorable side characters and a token Japanese businessman visiting Paterson on his day off from work to relish in the place where Ginsberg and Williams spent a lot of time in, or from, which rekindles Paterson, his name is the name of the city too, to possibly write again.

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Piano Mouth wrote:Paterson, NJ I guess where Allen Ginsberg AND William Carlos Williams are from?
Wasn't Ginsberg from Newark? I know it's only ten miles or so away, but folks are rather sensitive about such things (I wouldn't like it if I read I was from Oldham, not that I'm all that proud of Rochdale :) ). What says our resident Jersey correspondent, Mr Abbey?
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Hayao Yamaneko
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Hayao Yamaneko »

Dan Warburton wrote:Image

Kelly Reichardt, Rivers of Grass, 1994

You can see where Reichardt was headed already in her on-the-lam/road movie debut (though it's not much of a road movie actually as our misfits never get beyond the first tollbooth out of Miami :) ), but the influences of Jarmusch and Malick (those Badlandsy voiceovers.. dearie me) are a little too strong. Not that I have anything against Jim and Terrence (well, early Terrence), but it took Reichardt a bit longer to get into her stride and connect with that weary Carver-like sensibility that emerged so forcefully with Old Joy and (see above) Wendy and Lucy.

This is the Reichardt I've yet to see. I wasn't grabbed by the descriptions, and "Badlandsy voiceovers" isn't helping me :)
But I'm a fan otherwise so I'll definitely be digging it out at some point.

User avatar
walto
Posts: 4738
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 7:58 pm
Location: Boston area

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by walto »

Piano Mouth wrote:Re: Dan,

even if its in a squeaky voice. My opinions change a lot though, I think more so than I realize. That being said I couldn't sit through the three colors of Kieslowski, but they are showing Dekalog I think the last half of the episodes at a local cinema, and I wonder if I should go. I saw the new Jarmusch movie, which was pretty good, and finally there was a dog in a film that was unlikeable! Yay?

Paterson, Dir. Jim Jarmusch

Image

Paterson, NJ I guess where Allen Ginsberg AND William Carlos Williams are from? It's kind of funny being a lit major and knowing bits and pieces about WCW like how he supposedly beat his wife and was mentally abusing her too, and that famous poem about the plums, and having Williams be this "amateur" poet's/busdriver by day's favorite poet. The guy, a little more grown up now, from the Wes Anderson movie about the preteens was in it, but so what? ok so he did a cameo I guess. Anyway, it's a week in the life of the day jobbing bus driving poet by night who goes to a frequent bar and has an Indian girlfriend who likes to bake cupcakes and do interior painting as well as making pies, with everything leading up to *spoiler*:[color=#FFBFFF]their dog eating his book of poems that he had handwritten, without any xeroxed copies[/color]. Some unmemorable side characters and a token Japanese businessman visiting Paterson on his day off from work to relish in the place where Ginsberg and Williams spent a lot of time in, or from, which rekindles Paterson, his name is the name of the city too, to possibly write again.
I didn't see this, but I did catch a long trailer of it someplace, and it looked awful.
"Freedom of thought and speech without available means of gaining information and methods of sound analysis, are empty. Protection and security are meaningless until there is something positive worth protecting." E.W. Hall

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Randall Wright, Hockney, 2014

This documentary on the only person I can think of offhand to nominate as Greatest Living Englishman has been criticised for not going into sufficient depth – his stage sets and his photo / fax / iPod projects could have done with a little more coverage, admittedly – but that didn't stop me thoroughly enjoying it. Anyone who doesn't know the Hockney story will find enough biographical information to satisfy, and there are plenty of sumptuous images of his work. Who needs some overarching pretentious hero-worship? Certainly not this chap. What did you make of it, Lutz (you're the expert)? Some good points here, I thought http://www.tinymixtapes.com/film/hockney
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Hayao Yamaneko wrote:
Dan Warburton wrote:
Kelly Reichardt, Rivers of Grass, 1994

You can see where Reichardt was headed already in her on-the-lam/road movie debut (though it's not much of a road movie actually as our misfits never get beyond the first tollbooth out of Miami :) ), but the influences of Jarmusch and Malick (those Badlandsy voiceovers.. dearie me) are a little too strong. Not that I have anything against Jim and Terrence (well, early Terrence), but it took Reichardt a bit longer to get into her stride and connect with that weary Carver-like sensibility that emerged so forcefully with Old Joy and (see above) Wendy and Lucy.
This is the Reichardt I've yet to see. I wasn't grabbed by the descriptions, and "Badlandsy voiceovers" isn't helping me :)
But I'm a fan otherwise so I'll definitely be digging it out at some point.
Actually, I love Badlands - but I don't think the voiceover suits Reichardt. Anyway, use some that humungous KG bonus :D and snatch the 1080 rip, Dan. (On a totally unrelated subject, because I can't be arsed to save this and send a PM, I like your album very much)
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Kelly Reichardt, Old Joy, 2007

As we're on the subject.. Splendid, not a moment wasted. I might even dig out my copy of I See A Darkness to celebrate. Meanwhile, I think the “fat pig with the physique of a slave trader” ;) was on the one when he penned this http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/old-joy-2006
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Alexandre Astruc, Education sentimentale, 1962

Astruc is one of those names you come across when reading up on the history of the Nouvelle Vague, thanks mainly to his influential (on young master Truffaut especially) 1948 article "Naissance d’une nouvelle avant-garde: la caméra-stylo", but his own films have, it seems, dropped off the radar and are sorely in need of a decent DVD reissue (though you can, of course, find them over at KG). This is the first Astruc I've seen – I should probably have begun at the beginning and watched them in chronological order, but we couldn't resist a Flaubert adaptation. A rather loose adaptation, admittedly, which sets the story very much in 1962 – Frédéric has just come back from a stint in Algeria – albeit one which retains much of the complexity and mystery of the original novel. But it feels almost more like a nouveau roman, as much Robbe-Grillet as Flaubert, with (deliberately) strange, frosty dialogue, disconcertingly two-dimensional characters, weird music and even weirder use of sound (the night club sequence is extraordinary) and some truly virtuoso geometrical tracking shots that would have Max Ophüls applauding from the hereafter. Watch how the camera suddenly circles Nat and Brialy to catch a Métro passing overhead, or calculate the geometry of the final ferry terminal farewell (the actors move at right angles, their moves bissected by the camera.. Tati would have loved it!). Astruc, who makes a cameo appearance in the movie as a drunk, if I'm not mistaken, was seriously interested in mathematics, as this obituary (French, tant pis pour vous) makes clear http://next.liberation.fr/cinema/2016/0 ... lo_1453745 A real tour de force.. if it had been signed Godard or Resnais I bet you'd have heard of it already. Now you have, so go git it.
Last edited by Dan Warburton on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
Wombatz
Posts: 1028
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:48 am
Contact:

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Wombatz »

Dan Warburton wrote:Image

What did you make of it, Lutz?
it's not quite as exciting as this footage, which puts you right in the heart of swinging london, inside a gallery where you can ogle david hockney from the corner of your eye and still be comfortably bored:



also it's a pity that frantz is so underwhelming since i will have to watch it soon.

Hayao Yamaneko
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Hayao Yamaneko »

Dan Warburton wrote:
Hayao Yamaneko wrote:
Dan Warburton wrote:
Kelly Reichardt, Rivers of Grass, 1994

You can see where Reichardt was headed already in her on-the-lam/road movie debut (though it's not much of a road movie actually as our misfits never get beyond the first tollbooth out of Miami :) ), but the influences of Jarmusch and Malick (those Badlandsy voiceovers.. dearie me) are a little too strong. Not that I have anything against Jim and Terrence (well, early Terrence), but it took Reichardt a bit longer to get into her stride and connect with that weary Carver-like sensibility that emerged so forcefully with Old Joy and (see above) Wendy and Lucy.
This is the Reichardt I've yet to see. I wasn't grabbed by the descriptions, and "Badlandsy voiceovers" isn't helping me :)
But I'm a fan otherwise so I'll definitely be digging it out at some point.
Actually, I love Badlands - but I don't think the voiceover suits Reichardt. Anyway, use some that humungous KG bonus :D and snatch the 1080 rip, Dan. (On a totally unrelated subject, because I can't be arsed to save this and send a PM, I like your album very much)
No, nothing against Badlands itself (in fact never seen) but I know the trope, and can imagine it sitting pretty awkwardly in a Reichardt cut :)
But excellent suggetion, I'd been meaning to see for a while, and now that I have enough ratio to download the unedited raw footage of the film in its entirety, there's no excuse. Badlands too. (cheers)

(and cheers again - really glad you liked :) )

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

Ken Loach, I, Daniel Blake, 2016

Former stand-up comedian Dave Johns delivers a fine performance as Blake, the (60-something?) carpenter recovering from a heart attack who ends up being royally fucked over by the Kafkaesque but ever-so-polite (cheers Tony!) British unemployment benefit system. Along the way he meets a single mother with two kids (different fathers) who's been relocated north – the film takes place in Newcastle, and the Geordie accents are great – and, as the saying goes, they bond. This is Loach, so you know which side he's fighting on in the class war: pointing out, as someone did over at IMDb, that Mr Blake should perhaps have made provisions for his forthcoming retirement during his 40-year career seems mean, somehow. The scene in the food bank where Katie scoffs half a tin of cold baked beans actually happened, apparently. Seeing a food bank in 2016 England is a depressing reminder that genuine hardship exists in the country. But we know that already, don't we? Loach is like Jeremy Corbyn: a genuinely nice guy with his heart in the right place but who's powerless to change a rotten greedy system that's been in place far too long. Why do we watch Ken Loach films, then? Depends who you are, I suppose: I usually end up being reminded that, compared to these poor fuckers, we're very well off thank you. Do the kind of people Loach portrays go to see his films? I imagine they haven't got the money. Most of the people I know here in Paris who go – religiously – to see everything he puts out are middle-aged, middle-class, left-leaning and curiously fascinated with the “exoticism” of British working class culture. Isn't the world an awful place? Sigh. It could be far worse, Ken – try Aleppo.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7403
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: Recently Watched Films 2017

Post by Dan Warburton »

Image

John Cassavetes, A Child is Waiting, 1963

Mawkish, uneven, clumsily edited, overscored, but probably worth a look just to see Gena Rowlands square off with Judy Garland, or simply to goggle at how totally fucking wrecked Garland was at just 40 years old. I can see why the director disowned it, and find much to agree with in this review: http://spectrumculture.com/2014/05/08/o ... s-waiting/
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Return to “I Hate Film”