Unsanctioned EAI

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

Damon_Smith

Unsanctioned EAI

Post by Damon_Smith »

I saw a brilliant concert last night by Peter Evans and Sam Pluta. It got me thinking about that maximalist strain of electro-acoustic improvisation. I re-listened to Furt and Grutronic today, both were rewarding listens.
Grutonic's Essex Foam Party is nice album.

I fully understand the role electronics played in the development of proper EAI, and that the movement (of which I am a fan, supporter and sometime participant) needed a shorthand description.

Still, my feeling is that the maximal side is not entirely unrelated. Bart and Tom & Gerry might even count as part of that end. I am going to check out Bark! again, I've kept up with Evan's Electro-Acoustic Ensemble (Evans and Pluta are on the newest disc).
Finkfarker by Wolfgang Fuch and Georg Katzer is an early variant.

Any thoughts of other music that fits the description outside of the Psi/Matchless circle?

mudd
Site Admin

Re: Unsanctioned EAI

Post by mudd »

unsanctioned?

you mean electroacoustic improvisation which is not eai? there is some of that, yeah.

m

This is PRE

Post by This is PRE »

I love maximalist music in general but as far as the electroacoustic vein of it goes, I can only think of composers like Paul Dolden and MC Maguire, which create fascinating soundworlds but do not typically feature improvisation. Big fan of the ensembles mentioned above however. There's also a group like To Live and Shave in L.A. that's been at times described as "white trash electroacoustics", but again the (noisy) improv happens live — on record Tom Smith does shape various extracts from these performances (and lots more goes into that stew) into pieces, but that's more musique concrète applied to their sonics than anything related to EAI.
What about David Rosenboom's Zones of Influence?

Damon_Smith

Post by Damon_Smith »

Yeah, Rosenboom and the MEV guys late work would count - I guess I'd draw the line at Alan Silva's synth playing. Part of the interest is I feel this is a bit of an orphaned strain of the music. Some of the EAI hardcores might find albums or at least bits of them they like.

I think a reasonable use of file sharing is checking out music you would never buy but that relates to your interests.

negative potential

Post by negative potential »

Otomo Yoshihide + Voice Crack, bits, bots, and signs

basically sounds like an FMP record with electronics. Great stuff.

R/S One (Snow Rud Main) is another good "maximalist" electro-acoustic improv recording.
Last edited by negative potential on Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

Radu represents Radu, not all of Wandelweiser whose main composers are exploring a wider area than ever the last couple of years.

glad you mentioned the R/S, though, that was the first disc that came to mind for me when reading Damon's original post. one I haven't heard but have been meaning to is the Russell Haswell/Pain Jerk from last year. how about the Seoul crew/Balloon and Needle? do they fit in here?

Herb Levy

Post by Herb Levy »

My sense of "maximal" electro-acoustic music tends more toward, say, David Tudor's work, especially the Neural Synthesis pieces, than a lot of what's been name-checked here.

I'm not thinking about it much, & I didn't look at the catalog, but the Erstwhile release that seems most obviously "maximal" to me is the Flirts.

mono tony

Post by mono tony »

are you talking about music that eschews electronic elements, or are you saying that "EAI" must be quiet music? pardon my misunderstanding, but the acronym connotes a broad range of dynamic, improvised music

Damon_Smith

Post by Damon_Smith »

I am not making it an either or thing - there is as much or more inspiring EAI and Wandelweiser now as ever. This is just some other stuff that is happening, too.

Damon_Smith

Post by Damon_Smith »

I don't want to make it about this but I came home from a gig tonight and put on the Malfatti/Frey CD that is Jon's avatar and cranked it and made some deviled beef sweetbreads.
That music is anything but boring! Pretty Kick ass if you asked me. I also enjoyed some of the music listed in the original post. As I said - that music is really better than ever.

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

Damon_Smith wrote:Malfatti/Frey and deviled beef sweetbreads
Awesome combination - what would you eat to accompany R/S? How about

http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

mrosenstein

Post by mrosenstein »

Here are some recordings/groups that come to mind:

King Übü Örchestrü - Particularly Binaurality
Günter Christmann's Vario - Particularly the later stuff with Thomas Lehn
The first Orchester 331/3 recording on RHIZ
I'd also throw in some of the earlier recordings by Günter Müller on his For 4 Ears label.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

also that Moslang/Guhl LP on FMP, Deep Voices.

I loved that first Orchester 33 1/3 record, that was the main reason I asked Christof Kurzmann to work with me initially.

Damon_Smith

Post by Damon_Smith »

mrosenstein wrote:Here are some recordings/groups that come to mind:

King Übü Örchestrü - Particularly Binaurality
Günter Christmann's Vario - Particularly the later stuff with Thomas Lehn
The first Orchester 331/3 recording on RHIZ
I'd also throw in some of the earlier recordings by Günter Müller on his For 4 Ears label.
Those are really good additions. I guess for me, I am still aesthetically into those things, especially the Übü & Vario.
One of the things I admire about Furt is that the push the boundaries of good taste pretty hard!
There are visual artists like Franz West, Mike Kelley & Koons where I love how far they push things even if I am less moved by that work than a Twombly.

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

about anything with Uli Böttcher?

I'm not really sure what music this thread is about. There are quite a few bands that involve live-electronics players, or guys that use other electro-acoustics stuff. My apporach would be looking for individual players, and then checking bands they played in. The very first name for me would be Paul Lytton, but he is a "sanctioned psi-artist"? Tony Oxley? Definitely Hugh Davies.

I wondered about (mostly acoustic) Möslang/Guhl's Deep Voices popping up here, but now I read "tapes" among the instruments in the discogs entry, and I believe to remember a few electronic (crackle box?) beeps somewhere (not 100% sure though... it's been a looong time since I last heard it). Oh, thinking about it, there's also 70s recordings with Han Bennink beepin' along (I think he basically used a megaphone).

If stuff involving pre-recorded tapes is any relevant... Braxton tried some of that (Creative Construction Company, duo with Jarman). Then even Steve Lacy was involved in electro-acoustic improvisation... well, he was anyway with his late 60s trio with Richard Teitelbaum & 70s stuff feat. Michel Waisfisz (though Lacy ususally used thematic starting points... uh... is that allowed in this thread?).

A certain Gerd Geier played live-electronics on Koglmann/Lacy's Flaps (1973). A few guys of that band come from the early austrian free jazz scene (Masters of Unorthodox Jazz etc), so maybe Geier also came from that particular circle? Anybody familiar with more of Geier's music?

Matt Wuethrich

Post by Matt Wuethrich »

Might there be room here for Human Music, the 1970 LP by Don Cherry and Jon Appleton?

Damon_Smith

Post by Damon_Smith »

I guess I am more interested in contemporary than historical for this discussion. Historically, there are lots of great examples, including my album The Happymakers:
https://balancepointacoustics.bandcamp. ... appymakers
Shaking Ray Levis and the Tony Oxley quartet with Pat Thomas and Matt Wand are other great historical examples and the Evan Parker Electro-Acoustic Ensemble is more or less contemporary with EAI establishing itself.
I think there is an interesting tension between musicians like Furt, Bark!, Sam Pluta, maybe even Jaap Blonk with EAI. I think it is a different decision for certain musicians once EAI has been such an established thing.

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Supersilent! :-)
plus sonat quam valet - seneca

Piano Mouth

Post by Piano Mouth »

I have no idea what this thread is about [emoji144]. I guess I don't really know what unsanctioned means...

RFKorp

Post by RFKorp »

Damon_Smith wrote:I think it is a different decision for certain musicians once EAI has been such an established thing.
Except that it goes both ways. I don't like being defined as playing 'EAI' since it's clearly such a loaded term. But I know it happens. And the music I play, whether full of silence or blocks of noise tends to remain continually focused on trying to decrease my gesture-count - in direct response to completely overloading first on the kind of hyperactive improvised music played by the people you propose are actively breaking from some EAI lineage.
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)