Post by dialectics of shit »

bnuob

Re: Now Playing

Post by bnuob »

b-boim 028
radu malfatti, hohner bassmouthorgan
recorded 29 august 2014
58 minutes

no trombone! radu says he's "travelling light" these days but hasn't decided whether he's done with the trombone for good

as with all b-boims, an utterly bizarre disc, splendid stuff. love the bit where it goes hmmmmmmmmmmmm

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

really looking forward to hearing that, hopefully Radu will get me some before too long.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Dreamcrusher - Haine

Blown out melodies that have me reminiscing on Grandeur of Hair.

Gil Sansón

Post by Gil Sansón »

bnuob wrote:Image

b-boim 028
recorded 29 august 2014
58 minutes

no trombone! radu says he's "travelling light" these days but hasn't decided whether he's done with the trombone for good

as with all b-boims, an utterly bizarre disc, splendid stuff. love the bit where it goes hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Malfatti playing chords? That would be quite a development. Must hear!

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yeah, Jon, if you get this new Bboim, could you hold one back for me until the next batch of Ersts? Thanks!
plus sonat quam valet - seneca

bnuob

Post by bnuob »

Gil Sansón wrote:
bnuob wrote:Image

b-boim 028
recorded 29 august 2014
58 minutes

Malfatti playing chords? That would be quite a development. Must hear!
hold on now, let's not get carried away - no chords as such, although there are brief moments when two notes are sounding at once! (like many b-boims there's a certain degree of editing involved)

there's 3 or 4 i've not heard but i still think "explorational" is one of very finest malfatti discs. not sure how it was recorded/edited but it's the most beautifully evanescent recording i've encountered, a timeless classic if you ask me

Skuj

Post by Skuj »

Played late last night / early this morning:

John Cage - Atlas Eclipticalis (Asphodel release)
Swans - To Be Kind
Incapacitants - Default Standard

I searched the boards and found nothing on Swans post Seer (2012). I was trying to reply to a 2010 comment in the old Now Playing thread but it is locked. Is there much love for recent Swans at IHM? I think Seer/TBK are monumental. I went to a Swans show in September, and they played mostly new (ie unrecorded) music. Gira and company are in a very special place right now.

Gil Sansón

Post by Gil Sansón »

Jamie Drouin/Lance Austin Olsen, sometimes we dissapear (another timbre)

Beautiful, very sparse but very inviting in a hide and seek kind of way. One very beautiful ocurrence of synchronicity between a noisy faucet in the apartment above and a swoosh of radio in between stations became a sonic highlight of the day, and the record allows for plenty of said instances of serendipity, it seems natural rather than deliberate (though I'm sure the artists had that in mind when structuring the composition).

Gil Sansón

Post by Gil Sansón »

Skuj wrote:Played late last night / early this morning:

John Cage - Atlas Eclipticalis (Asphodel release)
Swans - To Be Kind
Incapacitants - Default Standard

I searched the boards and found nothing on Swans post Seer (2012). I was trying to reply to a 2010 comment in the old Now Playing thread but it is locked. Is there much love for recent Swans at IHM? I think Seer/TBK are monumental. I went to a Swans show in September, and they played mostly new (ie unrecorded) music. Gira and company are in a very special place right now.
To Be Kind is a monster of a record, easily the best rock album of the century so far. Everything else sounds kind of wimpy afterwards (actually, after hearing it in full I'm always exhausted and can't listen to anything else for a couple of hours).

Tanner

Post by Tanner »

I think Swans are an amazing live band, and have produced ok to great records. For some reason, I haven't really gotten into To Be Kind. But I haven't given it much time. M. Gira is a fascinating dude, with awesome hair.

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

I saw the Swans live a couple of weeks ago. I found them to be wimpy most of the time. I was quite disappointed and wouldn't go a second time. If "To be kind" was the best rock record of the century so far, I'd be an unhappier person.

n.p.
Ernst Krenek: For pieces for oboe & piano (Holliger + Wyttenbach '69, just transferred from LP)
I don't like to use the word "academic" to characterise music (in a slightly negative way), but in Krenek's case I sometimes can't seem to avoid it.

Gil Sansón

Post by Gil Sansón »

J.F. wrote:I saw the Swans live a couple of weeks ago. I found them to be wimpy most of the time. I was quite disappointed and wouldn't go a second time. If "To be kind" was the best rock record of the century so far, I'd be an unhappier person.
It surely sounds like an exaggeration, but in fact the rock idiom has been stuck in nostalgia for most if not all the millenium. The last couple of Swans records, the last one in particular, do not sound like a band stuck in the past buy rather like a band that's trying to push forward following the band's own personal history and aesthetics. It has my vote for rock record of the year in a department that has been vacant for the past few years, in my opinion. Note I'm saying rock, metal is much more healthy in this regard (although there's way too much nostalgia there too).

Skuj

Post by Skuj »

J.F. wrote:I saw the Swans live a couple of weeks ago. I found them to be wimpy most of the time. I was quite disappointed and wouldn't go a second time. If "To be kind" was the best rock record of the century so far, I'd be an unhappier person.
Wimpy? Man, you must be some badass motherfucker!! :o

Seriously though, to each their own, but Swans is the only show I have bothered to go to in 30 fuckin years, and I thank God for giving me the good sense to take that trip. It remains a high point of my 52 years. My brain is still recovering from it. They put on a show that shook my fuckin world, Man.

(I'm new here. Can I say fuck?)

gohleekwang

Post by gohleekwang »

Too bad i never really listen to anything from them ;)

Skuj

Post by Skuj »

Kevin Drumm - Land Of Lurches. Twice.
Electric Wizard - Time To Die
Flaming Lips - The Terror

J.F.

Post by J.F. »

Me calling the current Swans "wimpy" has nothing to do with the volume and heavy attitude they play with. It's more that much of their music is based on repetitions, and I feel most of the musical material they keep repeating is not worth getting repeated that much - in other words: I was bored 90% of the time (= in more than 2 hours). And I don't like Gira's pathos.
Anyway I'm that much of a "bad ass motherfucker" that I might enjoy a few well-selected current pop tunes more than that.

I'm certainly not a fan of droney stuff, but I sure can enjoy James Tenney's "Having Never Written a Note for Percussion" when performed with a certain attitude. Now the Swans' concert intro I saw was 10 minutes of gong solo, and that guy seemed to be bored himself. Then it was cymbal tremolos added, then a drone from the steel guitar guy, all three looking around a bit clueless, sipping from their bottles in between etc. which for me ruined the whole "aura" and focus of that part, and after maybe 20 minutes, Gira added a few minutes of singing a one-note "aaaaaahhhhhhh" with closed eyes into the mic. If he hadn't strummed that one chord, he'd probably unctuously lifted his arms (which he actually did later). Urgh, I don't have time for that. :lol:

Later there were moments I found magical, the build-ups reaching a point where it really clicked for me. I just felt there was too much of a dramaturgical void around that.

Yii

Post by Yii »

No work tomorrow to work today.

Skuj

Post by Skuj »

Bach Partitas - Igor Levit.

Sunday night Bach is a tradition of mine. Dude left behind an ocean of magnificent music.

Piano Mouth

Post by Piano Mouth »

Parliament - Mothership Connection (like 3 times hehe)
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul (mmm!)

I haven't sold any of my CDs, records, or books in a few years. When I was younger, I had a habit of selling things back for cigarettes and food, or to trade in for other stuff...that I would sell or trade for cigarettes and food (this was years ago). I no longer have that habit, and love everything I have acquired to pieces!

But can you believe I once had this on vinyl?:

Goddamn, I wonder how much this goes for now on ebay, amazon, discogs etc...