best of 2013

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

User avatar
mono tony
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 11:02 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by mono tony »

joseghast wrote:The Dead C - Armed Courage
This one is the record of the year for me, and the best one from these people I've listened to (to be fair, I began with Future Artists and have only listened to a little of their previous output; so maybe this is bound to change).
first half of this really hit the spot today, track hits a nice plateau w/yeats' snare work towards the end. never could figure out if there's any delay on his drums for parts of "armed." the recording is excellent. the decrepitude of the 2nd half usually tests my patience though. have you heard secret earth? that one's ace, imo. similar vocals to "courage"

laurel halo's chance of rain is worth a mention here. grey, repetitious techno music, it flows pretty well (compared to say, autechre) and has a soupy, home-made feel. it's bookended by two sensuous, mildly affected piano tracks. sounds nothing like quarantine.

User avatar
joseghast
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 8:32 am
Location: North London
Contact:

Re: best of 2013

Post by joseghast »

mono tony wrote:
joseghast wrote:The Dead C - Armed Courage
This one is the record of the year for me, and the best one from these people I've listened to (to be fair, I began with Future Artists and have only listened to a little of their previous output; so maybe this is bound to change).
first half of this really hit the spot today, track hits a nice plateau w/yeats' snare work towards the end. never could figure out if there's any delay on his drums for parts of "armed." the recording is excellent. the decrepitude of the 2nd half usually tests my patience though. have you heard secret earth? that one's ace, imo. similar vocals to "courage"
I like the sound of it a lot!! Don't know exactly what they've done to the drum sound, but I thought that maybe it's the space they recorded in (since I've read Bruce Russell prefers recording direct to stereo); who knows?

I do have Secret Earth on CD, but haven't liked that much... I must revisit that one today!

shirt
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:20 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by shirt »

On my second listen of the new eliane radigue on shiiin and it's really great. The new Éric La Casa & Cédric Peyronnet on Herbal International is also a keeper.

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: best of 2013

Post by jon abbey »

shirt wrote:On my second listen of the new eliane radigue on shiiin and it's really great.
anyone looking for this in the US, I should have copies in the next week or so, holiday mail willing. send me an e-mail at erstrecs@aol.com if you want to reserve one. it is a pricy triple CD (Shiiin has very high wholesale prices), $60 from me. I think if I restock it, it will have to even be much pricier than that, so act quickly if interested.

as long as I'n here, Jason Lescalleet can't do much wrong in my book, but even for him, the track linked below is exceptional. I have listened to it so much that I knew the words to most of the Kanye part when he played it mid-set here a few weeks ago.

https://soundcloud.com/glistening-labs/ ... irrelevant

my 'single' of the year, I wish we lived in a world where this was a huge seller.

lao
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:57 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by lao »

.
Last edited by lao on Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GregT
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:48 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by GregT »

Robert Piotrowicz When Snakeboy is Dying ( LP )

Gil Sansón
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: best of 2013

Post by Gil Sansón »

Strange, no one seems to remember Radigue's Psi 847, one of my favorites of the year by a large margin. Haven't heard the most recent disc, but somehow I find it hard to believe it would be much better than this one. Both studio and live versions of Psi 847 are as rewarding as anything released with her name on it these past few years.

User avatar
mono tony
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 11:02 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by mono tony »

jhreynolds wrote:Klaus Filip/Dafne Vicente-Sandoval - remoto (Potlatch)
some nice moments on this, though seemingly few and far in between. around 15 min. into "clair," klaus (?) is going full bore (loudest part of the album), and there's barely any signal from dafne. i mean, you've got a bassoon.. indulge us, the limited palette is frustrating, meager.

User avatar
RFKorp
Posts: 1294
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: next to my computer

Re: best of 2013

Post by RFKorp »

mono tony wrote:
jhreynolds wrote:Klaus Filip/Dafne Vicente-Sandoval - remoto (Potlatch)
some nice moments on this, though seemingly few and far in between. around 15 min. into "clair," klaus (?) is going full bore (loudest part of the album), and there's barely any signal from dafne. i mean, you've got a bassoon.. indulge us, the limited palette is frustrating, meager.
This is sitting in my to-listen pile still. So I can't really speak in album-specifics. But for some frame of reference to the instrumental approach: in the two times I've played with Dafne and one more time I observed her from the audience, I have yet to see her fully assemble the bassoon.
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7399
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by Dan Warburton »

Just as well. It sounds better in bits :)
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

User avatar
palfoot
Posts: 31
Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:15 pm

Re: best of 2013

Post by palfoot »

1. John Butcher, Tony Buck, Magda Mayas & Burkhard Stangl - Plume (Unsounds)
2. Catherine Jauniaux & eRikm - Mal des Ardents / Pantonéon (Mikroton)
3. John Butcher, Thomas Lehn & John Tilbury - Exta (Fataka)
4. Petter O Hanna - Rendition of a Whisper (Gigafon)
5. Les Femmes Savantes - s/t (Olof Bright)
6. Jeremiah Cymerman - Sky Burial (5049)
7. Fire! Orchestra - Exit (Rune Gramoffon)
8. Jean-Luc Cappozzo & Géraldine Keller - Air Prints (Ayler)
9. Hera & Hamid Drake - Seven Lines (MUltikulti)
10. Zeitkratzer - Grand Orchestra (Tochnit Aleph)

shirt
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:20 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by shirt »

Gil Sansón wrote:Strange, no one seems to remember Radigue's Psi 847, one of my favorites of the year by a large margin. Haven't heard the most recent disc, but somehow I find it hard to believe it would be much better than this one. Both studio and live versions of Psi 847 are as rewarding as anything released with her name on it these past few years.
Trust me, Naldjorlak I II III is better than Psi 847.

Listened to TramVibration recently and that was fantastic.

User avatar
yonhosago
Posts: 972
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Re: best of 2013

Post by yonhosago »

RFKorp wrote:
mono tony wrote:
jhreynolds wrote:Klaus Filip/Dafne Vicente-Sandoval - remoto (Potlatch)
some nice moments on this, though seemingly few and far in between. around 15 min. into "clair," klaus (?) is going full bore (loudest part of the album), and there's barely any signal from dafne. i mean, you've got a bassoon.. indulge us, the limited palette is frustrating, meager.
This is sitting in my to-listen pile still. So I can't really speak in album-specifics. But for some frame of reference to the instrumental approach: in the two times I've played with Dafne and one more time I observed her from the audience, I have yet to see her fully assemble the bassoon.
I played with her last Saturday (a quartet plus Edén Carrasco and Robert Piotrowicz). Near the end she assembled it and played it the straight way.
classically trained

Gil Sansón
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: best of 2013

Post by Gil Sansón »

shirt wrote:
Gil Sansón wrote:Strange, no one seems to remember Radigue's Psi 847, one of my favorites of the year by a large margin. Haven't heard the most recent disc, but somehow I find it hard to believe it would be much better than this one. Both studio and live versions of Psi 847 are as rewarding as anything released with her name on it these past few years.
Trust me, Naldjorlak I II III is better than Psi 847.

Listened to TramVibration recently and that was fantastic.
Yeah, bad wording from my part. Two very different approaches here, one fully electronic and the other combining electronic and instruments, so one can hardly say which one is better. Evidently, if one's is inclined towards the rich harmonic spectrum of an acoustic instrument as the cello, for instance, then the choice would surely be the later disc. Without having heard Naldjorlak I II III yet (and I have no grounds for doubting its quality or importance on Radigue's canon) I'll say that they are apples and oranges, too different to stand comparison. It might be that this new approach represents a breakthrough and may tint the way we hear works like Psi 847 for some, who may or may not miss the instrumental color in her earlier music. We don't know yet if this is a permanent change for Radigue, but even in such a case Psi 847 would remain important as a last statement on synthesizer alone.

Matt Wuethrich
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:37 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by Matt Wuethrich »

palfoot wrote:10. Zeitkratzer - Grand Orchestra (Tochnit Aleph)
This is a really good disc. A concept (amateur youth orchestra plays with professional avant garde ensemble) that could easily tip into failed conceit but succeeds mightily. There's an awesome controlled energy that is sustained throughout.
Gil Sansón wrote:Strange, no one seems to remember Radigue's Psi 847
Haven't heard the Shiiin but Gil is on the nose that is a true stand-out. Radigue's oeuvre gets richer all the time (even with, maybe even because of, the 'barrel-scrapings' of the Alga Marghen archive releases --- despite misgivings about pressing quality they show how far she's developed her compositional approach).

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: best of 2013

Post by jon abbey »

Gil Sansón wrote:We don't know yet if this is a permanent change for Radigue, but even in such a case Psi 847 would remain important as a last statement on synthesizer alone.
this is a strange statement to me, since Psi 847 was composed in 1972, just before Adnos I-III.

Dan Warburton
Posts: 7399
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 12:42 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by Dan Warburton »

jon abbey wrote:
Gil Sansón wrote:We don't know yet if this is a permanent change for Radigue, but even in such a case Psi 847 would remain important as a last statement on synthesizer alone.
this is a strange statement to me, since Psi 847 was composed in 1972, just before Adnos I-III.
Quite.
shirt wrote: Trust me, Naldjorlak I II III is better than Psi 847.
You win the prize for the dumbest thing I've read on IHM all year.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Gil Sansón
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:32 pm

Re: best of 2013

Post by Gil Sansón »

jon abbey wrote:
Gil Sansón wrote:We don't know yet if this is a permanent change for Radigue, but even in such a case Psi 847 would remain important as a last statement on synthesizer alone.
this is a strange statement to me, since Psi 847 was composed in 1972, just before Adnos I-III.
Yeah, weasel words again. I meant as a recorded statement in case that Radigue decides to stick to the combination of electronics and instruments as it seems to be the case these days, with musicians reuesting scores and all. She may stay away from synthesizer alone, which could make Psi 847 mark the end of a way of working for Radigue. I hope this makes it clearer somehow. There's also a word to say about the live version of the piece, which I also find to be sucessful and very much informed by history and the way in which this music has been appreciated today. True, it's a work from 1972, but the pairing of the original with the live realization by Lionel Marchetti seems to point out to this release being much more than an archival release, it feels like a definitive statement of some sort.

User avatar
jon abbey
Posts: 19017
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 4:26 pm
Contact:

Re: best of 2013

Post by jon abbey »

Gil Sansón wrote:I meant as a recorded statement in case that Radigue decides to stick to the combination of electronics and instruments as it seems to be the case these days, with musicians reuesting scores and all. She may stay away from synthesizer alone, which could make Psi 847 mark the end of a way of working for Radigue. I hope this makes it clearer somehow.
I understood what you meant the first time, Gil, but I don't think it's right. it seems pretty clear she has given up synth-only work for good (didn't she say this in the Wire article on her a year or two ago?), but since Psi 847 was composed in 1972, that's when it fits into her timeline as a composer, no matter when it was realized.

your argument about it not being an archival release makes more sense, presumably that's why the WIre has it on their main list and not on their archival one (although the dividing lines between those two are odd to me sometimes).

This is PRE
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:46 am

Re: best of 2013

Post by This is PRE »

Matt Wuethrich wrote:
palfoot wrote:10. Zeitkratzer - Grand Orchestra (Tochnit Aleph)
This is a really good disc. A concept (amateur youth orchestra plays with professional avant garde ensemble) that could easily tip into failed conceit but succeeds mightily. There's an awesome controlled energy that is sustained throughout.
Thanks to you both for the reminder that I need to get this one.