Forthcoming releases of note

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

Herb Levy

Re: Forthcoming releases of note

Post by Herb Levy »

hatta wrote:Did Yuji perform it as well? I've only heard his sister Aki's take on it. Which is quite good, but not enough to make me stray from the Tilbury.
Is there a recording of this by Aki Takahashi?

There are actually two different recordings by Yuji Takahashi. Before the Denon LP, he'd recorded the work for the Swedish label Fylkingen. I haven't heard this one in a long time, but I'm pretty sure that he missed a string or two when he did the preparations. Other than this unusual error, I'm not sure why anyone would consider his recording(s) to be the most famous.

A couple of very good performances of the S&I that don't get the attention they deserve are Darryl Rosenberg's on VQR Digital (which label may not exist any longer) & Louis Goldstein's on is own Offseason Productions label which is at least available from Verge, if nowhere else. Both of these players do a great job of presenting the work's overall architecture: Rosenberg's approach is more sort of "Classical", while Goldstein's could almost be characterized as "Romantic", both terms used rather loosely.

Goldstein also has an excellent performance of Feldman's Triadic Memories on his label that's one of the best recordings of a solo piano I've ever heard. The shimmer of overtones in the fermata-like pauses are incredibly lovely.

free math

Post by free math »

high hopes for the Filament+2 korean crossover

grisha
home and family entertainment

Post by grisha »

Moss - Sub Templum
Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Jizzbox EP on Alamut
Diana Wynne Jones - House of Many Ways (not music but still)
I was going to be a neo-deconstructivist but mom wouldn't let me.
http://soundcloud.com/mites

Richard Pinnell

Post by Richard Pinnell »

David Lacey, Paul Vogel - (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention the title yet or not!) (Homefront)

simon reynell

Post by simon reynell »

Brian Olewnick wrote:
Looking very much forward to the upcoming John Tilbury release on another timbre, playing Cage and Jennings (not sure what pieces, though)
The Jennings pieces are his five works for solo piano (Piano Piece 1958, Piano Piece 1960, For Christine Jennings, Winter Sun & Winter Trees). The Cage is still under discussion. John did a recording of some pages from 'Music for Piano #69-84' which was great, but John is keen to try to convert these (with Sebastian Lexer's help) into a version of 'Electronic Music for Piano'. Once that's been done we'll decide exactly what to issue.

All this means that the Tilbury cd (at10) may arrive slightly later than the other discs in the July 'another timbre' batch:

at09 '...de las piedras' Esteban Algora/Alessandra Rombola/Ingar Zach
at11 'for hugh davies' Hugh Davies + Adam Bohman/Lee Patterson/Mark Wastell
at12 (no title yet) Matt Davis/Matt Milton/Bechir Saade

We're also releasing an archive cd-r featuring the original versions of the Hugh Davies pieces used in 'for hugh davies'

sound plague

Post by sound plague »

grisha wrote:Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
Yes! One of the few metal bands I still give a shit about.

hatta

Post by hatta »

simon reynell wrote: <...snip...>
All this means that the Tilbury cd (at10) may arrive slightly later than the other discs in the July 'another timbre' batch:
Thanks for the update...sounds great.
simon reynell wrote: at11 'for hugh davies' Hugh Davies + Adam Bohman/Lee Patterson/Mark Wastell

We're also releasing an archive cd-r featuring the original versions of the Hugh Davies pieces used in 'for hugh davies'
Really looking forward to this one as well and great news on including the archival material, there just isn't enough Davies out there you ask me.
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"

mono tony

Post by mono tony »

more recent (unreleased) autechre becoming available tomorrow @ bleep.com

cleanzero

Post by cleanzero »

Curious about the Toshimaru Nakamura/Mitsuhiro Yoshimura duo
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

cleanzero wrote:Curious about the Toshimaru Nakamura/Mitsuhiro Yoshimura duo
where did you hear about that? Yoshimura does plan to do a duo disc of these two on his label, I heard some recordings from a couple of weeks ago which were pretty strong.

cleanzero

Post by cleanzero »

jon abbey wrote:
cleanzero wrote:Curious about the Toshimaru Nakamura/Mitsuhiro Yoshimura duo
where did you hear about that? Yoshimura does plan to do a duo disc of these two on his label, I heard some recordings from a couple of weeks ago which were pretty strong.

Mitsuhiro anticipated me that he will make a cd with Toshi next year.
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

washline

Post by washline »

free math wrote:high hopes for the Filament+2 korean crossover
I just listened to a CDR of this over the weekend, which I got from Hong Chulki. It has a strong finale in an otherwise muddy sound field, in which Sachiko M stands out among the rest as the most interesting contributor. I'm a bit weary of Choi Joonyong's sound from the CD players which grates me at times on this recording. It will be interesting to hear the reactions to this one, both positive and negative after the release comes out.

By the way, Sachiko and Otomo do not want this to be considered a Filament CD because that's a special project among the two of them. Instead, it's just the four players by separate name.
A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.-- John le Carre

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

washline wrote:By the way, Sachiko and Otomo do not want this to be considered a Filament CD because that's a special project among the two of them. Instead, it's just the four players by separate name.
this was a sticking point for the Good Morning Good Night project for probably a year, I originally asked them to record as part of my groups+1 series, MIMEO/Tilbury, Polwechsel/Fennesz, poire_z + (I also tried to do AMM/Christian Wolff, then AMM/Evan Parker, but both were eventually vetoed by Eddie P). once I realized what Bill is saying above (which they never came out and really told me), I asked them to just do it under their three names, and they went right for it.

Thomas Lehn and Marcus Schmickler have two new duo releases coming soon on A-Musik, a CD and a LP, with entirely different music and designs on each.

washline

Post by washline »

Ah. So much in North Asia is told through body language and silence. Someone was concerned there about your losing face, Jon.

Good Morning, Good Naming :)

Too bad about the AMM projects. They all sound like very good ones. The egos of musicians can be such delicate entities. One must always carry a lot of salve.

On another note, I was talking to Ryu Hankil after Joe Foster's wedding on Saturday, and he told me that several things are in the works. A Modules 5 is coming out shortly with Ryu, Hong, and Choi. Ryu will be visiting Switzerland later this year to record with Jason Kahn. Ryu will be one of the members of Otomo's new group involving only Asian musicians. Ryu did a series of performances in Tokyo recently and has plans to tour in Australia and New Zealand shortly. The "opera" project of Taku Sugimoto will be released this year with Ryu performing on it. Ryu is rapidly becoming an international musician in high demand, which is great to see.

And during that conversation we tentatively agreed to have a Ryu Hankil recording out on my label next year, once we can figure out what the hell we want to do.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

washline wrote:The "opera" project of Taku Sugimoto will be released this year with Ryu performing on it.
you didn't grab this for your label, huh? 8-)

washline

Post by washline »

I had to "beg" out of that one ;)

washline

Post by washline »

We should, however, race each other to put out a Hankil/Toshi recording, which I think would be a real knockout.

tadk

Post by tadk »

two on sofa:
Marc Pichelin/Xavier Charles/Ivar Grydeland - About North of the North
Akiyama/Taxt/Lønning/Reinertsen - About Varianter av døde trær

and on ultra hard gel:
Leighton Craig & Eugene Carchesio - The Constant Flow of Light

joseghast

Post by joseghast »

washline wrote: On another note, I was talking to Ryu Hankil after Joe Foster's wedding on Saturday, and he told me that several things are in the works. A Modules 5 is coming out shortly with Ryu, Hong, and Choi. Ryu will be visiting Switzerland later this year to record with Jason Kahn. Ryu will be one of the members of Otomo's new group involving only Asian musicians. Ryu did a series of performances in Tokyo recently and has plans to tour in Australia and New Zealand shortly. The "opera" project of Taku Sugimoto will be released this year with Ryu performing on it. Ryu is rapidly becoming an international musician in high demand, which is great to see.

And during that conversation we tentatively agreed to have a Ryu Hankil recording out on my label next year, once we can figure out what the hell we want to do.
Great news! I only listened to 5 Modules I and III and the Vol. 6 of the Signal to Noise series but I'm very interested on the Korean stuff, specially Hankil. I find the 5 Modules very good, specially the I (I haven't listened so much to the III).

Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Table of the Elements mypsace page wrote:Guitar Series Volumes 3 & 4

Twelve limited-edition, single-sided LPs, pressed on clear vinyl, with laser-etched illustrations by UK artist Savage Pencil.

Contributors (alphabetically):

Oren Ambarchi
Ateleia and Benjamin Curtis
Belong
Andrew Burnes
Rhys Chatham
Collections of Colonies of Bees
David Daniell
Christian Fennesz
Thurston Moore
Jon Mueller
Stephen O’Malley
Lee Ranaldo
I imagine they will be horribly overpriced (you know, one sided vinyl is worth more) and probably all over the map, but sure to be a couple of gems in there.