Forthcoming releases of note

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

hatta

Forthcoming releases of note

Post by hatta »

In the Recent Listening thread I mentioned that the Hat release of Feldman's Piano, Violin, Viola and Cello is being reissued this year. I went to their site to check this and noted a bunch of other reissues and new releases that I'm definitely excited about. So I thought a (obviously non-promotional) thread about forthcoming releases that one is anticipating was in order. The things from hatART that have me all a-twitter:

Morton Feldman Trio
Morton Feldman Piano, Violin, Viola, Cello
Morton Feldman Clarinet And String Quartet
Morton Feldman Triadic Memories & Piano (John Snijders)
Earle Brown Synergy
Christian Wolff Early Piano Pieces (Steffen Schleiermacher)
John Cage Sonates & Interludes (James Tenney)

As stated I'm loving Piano, Violin, Viola and Cello and am excited to have a copy to put on the CD player. Equally exciting to me is Clarinet and String Quartet as its one I haven't heard. The other quite exciting thing on that list is the Tenney performance of Sonatas and Interludes. While I'm in love with the Tilbury version of that piece Tenney loved it and often performed it. Outside of a Tudor performance I can't think of anyone else I'd like to hear play it (Tudor, Tenney, Tilbury - the 'T's' own that piece)
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"

Brian Olewnick

Re: Forthcoming releases of note

Post by Brian Olewnick »

Looking very much forward to the upcoming John Tilbury release on another timbre, playing Cage and Jennings (not sure what pieces, though)

hatta

Post by hatta »

Brian Olewnick wrote:Looking very much forward to the upcoming John Tilbury release on another timbre, playing Cage and Jennings (not sure what pieces, though)
Oh yeah, me as well.

On some of the usual suspects:
Keith Rowe A Response to Treatise (Cathnor)
Its on the Cathnor forthcoming dunno if its going to be this year or next. It'll be (my) CD of the year when it does. There's a number of other intriguing releases in the Cathnor list: Phil Durrant, Lee Patterson. Paul Vogel and the Adam Sonderberg 3" in particular.

The bulk of the forthcoming Erstwhile releases sure look great, especially excited about:
Keith Rowe/Will Guthrie
Radu Malfatti/Klaus Filip
Keith Rowe/Sachiko M
Ami Yoshida/Toshimaru Nakamura

The rest I'm intrigued by and definitely expect surprises there.

kp*

Post by kp* »

hatta wrote:Outside of a Tudor performance I can't think of anyone else I'd like to hear play it (Tudor, Tenney, Tilbury - the 'T's' own that piece)
It's funny that you forgot the most famous of all Snottas & innertubes:
Yuji Takahashi

Also a T!

Tenney was a mad interpreter of Ives. Great pianist.

hatta

Post by hatta »

Did Yuji perform it as well? I've only heard his sister Aki's take on it. Which is quite good, but not enough to make me stray from the Tilbury.

Brian Olewnick

Post by Brian Olewnick »

hatta wrote: Keith Rowe A Response to Treatise (Cathnor)
That there is one amazing recording.
hatta wrote: Adam Sonderberg
There's a Sonderberg/Tomas Korber/Olivia Block trio in the offing, I'm given to understand, at least in performance. I love the potential in that one.

mudd
Site Admin

Post by mudd »

which performance is the cathnor rowe? i'm pretty sure i asked this already, but i remember being uncertain if it was austin or houston.

i was at the latter show, and he did play a selection of treatise. i remember it very fondly, but if that is the same show i imagine it would be like hearing it for a first time.

m

hatta

Post by hatta »

mudd wrote:which performance is the cathnor rowe? i'm pretty sure i asked this already, but i remember being uncertain if it was austin or houston.

i was at the latter show, and he did play a selection of treatise. i remember it very fondly, but if that is the same show i imagine it would be like hearing it for a first time.

m
It was Houston from some sort of performance where he did it multiple times or did workshops or something. He was there for several days and during that wrote out how he played the piece onto the score, which he showed me once. The Cathnor release is supposed to contain that type of information as well as more on Keith's experience with Cardew and Treatise. Really can't wait for it, it'll be by far the most important and great Treatise release to date.

mudd
Site Admin

Post by mudd »

he's done a couple of workshops in town, none of which i actually attended. i think maybe carlos was at one of them? anyway, that's great news, thanks.

m

kp*

Post by kp* »

hatta wrote:Did Yuji perform it as well?
The Denon recording by Yuji is justly famous.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

I'm looking forward to the Yoshimura recordings on Antoine's new label and the English record on Bill Ashline's new label.

MRS

Post by MRS »

jon abbey wrote:and the English record on Bill Ashline's new label.
Really? Congrats to my man Bill! It better sound fucking flawless.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

MRS wrote:It better sound fucking flawless.
:lol:

skrobek

Post by skrobek »

I'm really anticipating this :

JUNKO / MASAYOSHI URABE / MICHEL HENRITZI

"Ecstasy of the Angels"

OPPOSITE RECORDS (usa)

should be released by the end of the year... :D

joseghast

Post by joseghast »

I'm specially interested in this one:

Alan Courtis/Bruce Russell/Eddie Prevost/Mattin "The Sakada Sessions" CD on Azul Discografica (NYC)

Really looking forward to it, since I heard the 3" CD live of Sakada on Sound 323 I'm very interested in this group. And, of course, allways interested on Mr. Russell's activities.

mudd
Site Admin

Post by mudd »

that does indeed sound interesting. sakada is a group that never frustrated me as much as i feared it would, and in fact i quite like the sakada disc on fargone.

m

washline

Post by washline »

MRS wrote:
jon abbey wrote:and the English record on Bill Ashline's new label.
Really? Congrats to my man Bill! It better sound fucking flawless.
If it ain't the cat's meow, babe, you can put me up against the wall and flog me with a long stick of black licorice. :P

Tentative title for the label is Celadon. Probably going ahead with it.

Got four CDs of mockup that we're trying to whittle down to two. Been waiting on quintet effort by the locals, but doesn't look to be happening. We're picky around here. Lotta jaded ears in the house!
A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.-- John le Carre

sidar

Post by sidar »

Edition Omega Point just issued an unreleased concert by Yoshi Wada from 1987 titled "The Appointed Cloud". Unfortunately I find myself once again without any disposable funds.

tadk

Post by tadk »

impatiently waiting for Olivier Capparos/Lionel Marchetti - "Livre des morts" to be released

kangaroo?

Post by kangaroo? »

me, i'm waiting for the return of the mighty L'innomable:
-Lucio Capece, Robin Hayward, Sergio Merce, Andrea Neumann, Gabriel Paiuk - Berlin-Buenos Aires Quintet

other than that i suppose the Krebs/Nakamura disc on soseditions, a lot to be anticipated from that meeting.

and Adam Sonderberg/Tomas Korber/Olivia Block? that one is real good news. I don't suppose anyone has more info on when or where we should be expecting this?

Return to “I Hate Music”