dolzenko

Re: Recent purchases redux

Post by dolzenko »

kristop

Post by kristop »

Paul C wrote:Image

Hospitals - Hairdryer Peace

Best "rock" or "pop" or however you want to classify it I've heard in ages. Like a mix between The Goslings and Royal Trux "Twin Infinitives", with some of the best moments of the Xpressway label thrown in.
i'm still not sure what i think of this record. i like it, but i don't think i agree with the amount of praise it's getting. people are making it sound like they reinvented the wheel or something...

RFKorp

Post by RFKorp »

Yesterday's purchases:
School of Velocity (David Tucker/Evan Parker/John Edwards/Steve Noble) - Homework
Akiyama/Sugimoto/Wiget - Spazieren/Periodic Drift/Hokou
Oren Ambarchi - In the Pendulum's Embrace
Kites - Hallucination Guillotine / Final Worship
The grammatical rules associated with diagrammatic reduction become apparent by considering a more tractable diagrammatic representation, applied to the Windsor knot in Fig. 8. - Fink & Mao, Tie knots, random walks and topology, (Physica A 276)

MRS

Post by MRS »

Dan Warburton wrote:
MRS wrote:
_duif wrote:Mnortham - From within the solar cave [2001 Absurd]
awesome
You were lucky finding a copy of that - been OOP forever. Great disc though, definitely should be reissued, like so many of the Absurds.
I don't have a word to ascribe. It could be three different albums. Still kicks serious ass, it's just like watching Rublyev.

kfw

Post by kfw »

dolzenko wrote:Image
i'd like to hear more about these ... are those the 685's ? i've been very impressed w/the b&w "bookshelf" speakers i've heard thusfar, although i wonder just how much difference in sound there is between the various models/ranges ... the price-differences are fairly vast. at the moment, i'm eyeing the 705's ...

dolzenko

Post by dolzenko »

kfw wrote:i'd like to hear more about these ... are those the 685's ? i've been very impressed w/the b&w "bookshelf" speakers i've heard thusfar, although i wonder just how much difference in sound there is between the various models/ranges ... the price-differences are fairly vast. at the moment, i'm eyeing the 705's ...
yep, B&W 685, totally awesome compared to my previous speakers, which were outward crap. though not being an audiophile i can't provide any meaningful comparison. i checked out few setups, it was hard for me to tell which i liked the best (and every one had different sound %) )

p_ano

Post by p_ano »

_duif wrote:Mnortham - Molt and anecdote [2003 S'Agita]
i love this disc. mnortham's best work imo.

Richard Pinnell

Post by Richard Pinnell »

Don't you need two of them? ;)

Kyrre Laastad

Post by Kyrre Laastad »

The Magic I.D - Till My Breath Gives Out (on vinyl)
The Internationa Nothing - Mainstream

I bought these from Kai Fagashinski last night after The International Nothing performed at a triple-bill concert here in Trondheim last night, along with Clayton Thomas/Werner Dafeldecker and PaPaJo. The concert by The International Nothing was really beautiful, and the bass duo started really nice, but went on a bit too long. PaPaJo was good fun, I guess. I was a bit tired from the two other bands, though.

And I also got the Hope ep by Palace Songs on vinyl in the mail today. It's really good.

Yii

Post by Yii »

arrived
hibarislubloadfactor1_3 Masahiko Okura/Taku Sugimoto/Taku Unami - Chamber Music Concerts vol.1

paypaled
at06 Max Eastley, Graham Halliwell, Evan Parker and Mark Wastell - A Life Saved By A Spider And Two Doves

waiting for response directly from takefumi-san
encadre-3 Kanichiro Oda/Takefumi Naoshima/Mitsuteru Takeuchi/Takahiro Hirama - 1 (2CD-R)
No work tomorrow to work today.

washline

Post by washline »

kfw wrote:
i'd like to hear more about these ... are those the 685's ? i've been very impressed w/the b&w "bookshelf" speakers i've heard thusfar, although i wonder just how much difference in sound there is between the various models/ranges ... the price-differences are fairly vast. at the moment, i'm eyeing the 705's ...
There's an enormous difference between the 600 series and the 800 signature series. You have to have sources and amplification to hear those differences, so if you don't, it makes little sense to go beyond what you can hear. The 705s should do nicely but be sure to listen to ProAc Tablettes and Focal JMLab Profiles and Electras before you decide. We should probably take this to a new thread. Purchases seems to be referring specifically to recordings here.
A desk is a dangerous place from which to watch the world.-- John le Carre

yog

Post by yog »

Dead Body Love - Low-Fi Power Carnage CD
Sutcliffe Jugend & Prurient - End Of Autumn 2xLP
Sewer Election/Impregnable Tape
Vårtgård - Dråp/Ådra Tape

grisha
home and family entertainment

Post by grisha »

used books:

Italo Calvino - Cosmicomics
Madeleine L'Engle - Many Waters
Alan Garner - Elidor
Alan Garner - The Weirdstone of Brisingamen

used lps, all in great condition, for about 15 $ all together. good day:

v.a - Sucessos Inesqueciveis dos anos 60
Vinicius, Toquinho e Marilia Medalha - Como Dizia o Poeta...
Agostinho dos Santos - Edição histórica vol. 5
Beth Carvalho - De Pé no Chão
Nazaré Pereira - Boîte à soleil
Nazaré Pereira - Natureza
João Gilberto - João Gilberto (1973)
João Gilberto - Brasil
I was going to be a neo-deconstructivist but mom wouldn't let me.
http://soundcloud.com/mites

diederich

Post by diederich »

Noise/Music: A History by Paul Hegarty
Beyond the Dream Syndicate: Tony Conrad and the Arts after Cage by Branden W. Joseph

Stockpiling some summer reading for when I'm done with Hegel and Heidegger. The 24th of May is going to be a goooooood day.

Omon Ra

Post by Omon Ra »

diederich wrote:Noise/Music: A History by Paul Hegarty
Beyond the Dream Syndicate: Tony Conrad and the Arts after Cage by Branden W. Joseph
Noise/Music is a fantastic book, I've only read a couple of the chapters but I definitely plan on picking up a copy, I'd be interested to hear too how that Dream Syndicate book is, since I am a big fan of Tony Conrad.

My recent purchases...

Torso/Gack Spilt on Small Doses
Trogotronic Compilation
Shearing Pinx - Haruspex EP on Divorce Records
Phil Niblock - Touch Three on Touch Recordings
Benighted Leams - Ferln Centesms on Supernal
Arthur C. Clarke - The 9 Billion Names of God

hatta

Post by hatta »

grisha wrote:used books:
Madeleine L'Engle - Many Waters
This is you know the fourth in a series of books right? The first being A Wrinkle in Time, the second A Wind in the Door and the third A Swiftly Tilting Planet. These three she wrote ages ago in the 60s and 70s and then she revisited these characters in the late 80s and wrote Many Waters and An Acceptable Time . IMO those first three books are amongst the very best children's books and were definitely very formative reads for me. Books I've reread many times even into my adulthood. But the later two are just not as good and even corrupt some of the characters unnecessarily. They are a bit strong on the christianity as well whereas in the first books it was much more a good v. evil type of thing where all earthly beliefs systems were considered on the good side. So YMMV of course but if you haven't read those first three definitely do so.

Also its worth noting that she crossed over characters from all of her books and she had a vast interlocking universe. I never read beyond the Time Quintet myself but my sister loved all of her books. Her Wikipedia page goes through it quite thoroughly.
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"

grisha
home and family entertainment

Post by grisha »

"A Wrinkle in Time" is actually the one book i don't own of the first four here. i guess i will start reading when i have the first. i don't really have any problem with Christianity as long as it's not preachy. i've been slowly making it though the list mudd posted on that thread i started (rejecting some stuff, too), and finding good stuff that wasn't mentioned (Diana Wynne Jones, for example). i have been reading on young adult stuff for quite a while now, maybe i will take a break for that Calvino when i finish with Juster).
I was going to be a neo-deconstructivist but mom wouldn't let me.
http://soundcloud.com/mites

Stevo

Post by Stevo »

Arrived today
Daredevil The Devil Inside & Out 1st Brubaker/Lark compi
Flipper Target Video, yet to watch this but think it should be great.
Wish I could get a higher quality SF PBS 83 set so I could torrent it.

earlier this week
Guy Clark Platinum Collection = s/t + an '81 lp pretty cool stuff
small faces Decca compi
Alien box set was 19 Eur
Slits Cut remaster dunno how its taken me 8 years to get around to getting the upgrade. Had the earlier one though
Best of Aubrey Beardsley book. Nice stuff & about time I had some of him.

loads of torrents
including
dvds
Jam rockpalast 80
Lynyrd skynyrd Winterland 76
Goldfrapp BBC Festi set
Last edited by Stevo on Fri May 16, 2008 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hatta

Post by hatta »

grisha wrote:"A Wrinkle in Time" is actually the one book i don't own of the first four here. i guess i will start reading when i have the first. i don't really have any problem with Christianity as long as it's not preachy. i've been slowly making it though the list mudd posted on that thread i started (rejecting some stuff, too), and finding good stuff that wasn't mentioned (Diana Wynne Jones, for example). i have been reading on young adult stuff for quite a while now, maybe i will take a break for that Calvino when i finish with Juster).
That's one of my favorite Calvino's and one of his most whimsical. It will be a great followup to the Phantom Tollbooth (another of my all time favs BTW)
"Please everybody, if we haven't done what we could have done, we've tried"

william e

Post by william e »

[img]
ancientbalance.jpg
ancientbalance.jpg (5.91 KiB) Viewed 1837 times
[/img]
Tetuzi Akiyama - The Ancient Balance to Control Death (Western Vinyl)

This singing- and song-centered release seems to me a departure for Akiyama. I'm somewhat surprised to find myself enjoying it. But I am, and a good bit. I especially ike the way in which he multi-tracks his vocals without worrying much about whether or not the tracks match in terms of timing and phrasing.