Keith Rowe

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

schiksalgemeinschaft

Re: Keith Rowe

Post by schiksalgemeinschaft »

Some things from the liner notes from Wipe Out:

"Rowe (...) contributing to the development of the group's "set pieces" in rehearsals and to the theoretical discussion that developed."

This suggests Watts "knew" at least "something" since they were discussing stuff. Keith nonetheless says in the liner notes about the track Wipe Out: "I investigated the idea of working with simple, crude material and sources, if there is a complexity it comes from the grammar and punctuation, which are not those of the source material I had in mind, although we never discussed it within the group. A subtitle for the piece: "Wipe Out (The Bourgeoisie)".

"Rowe is currently developing specific guitar techniques to explore the relationships fount in two elegiac Anglo-Saxon poems ("The Wanderer" and "The Seafarer" dating from about 600 AD). These examine the relationship of the exile within society."

Somebody know something about this?

Damon_Smith

Post by Damon_Smith »

Weasel Walter, Sandy Ewen & I listened to Wipe Out in it's entirety on a drive from Houston to Austin to play the NMASS festival in June. It was pretty grueling.

schiksalgemeinschaft

Any thoughts on the batch of recent Rowe releases? (Contour and NG4's Quartet for guitars on Microton, and Tri on Intonemo.) I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen reviews of them on Brian's blog...

bedouin

Post by bedouin »

schiksalgemeinschaft wrote:Any thoughts on the batch of recent Rowe releases? (Contour and NG4's Quartet for guitars on Microton, and Tri on Intonemo.) I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen reviews of them on Brian's blog...
NG4, A quartet for guitars is a sublime piece of music.

it's like Mr Rowe has discovered some hidden treasure alongside his lengthy music travels. Reminiscent of Sugimoto Opposite, (at least in tone), the players play guitars which sound like guitars but with great use of silence and some wonderfully clean and other times weird, feedback enhanced, sounds going on. The interaction between the 4 guitars is very spacious (rarely 2 guitars overlap). Probably a single composition, but I am really glad they have split it into parts.

My favourite Rowe disc since his erst duo with Tilbury.

sarnie garrett

Post by sarnie garrett »

schiksalgemeinschaft wrote:Any thoughts on the batch of recent Rowe releases? (Contour and NG4's Quartet for guitars on Microton, and Tri on Intonemo.) I'm a bit surprised I haven't seen reviews of them on Brian's blog...
last one there reviewed by brian- http://olewnick.blogspot.com/2014/05/ke ... dwart.html

laszlo juhasz

Post by laszlo juhasz »

"Dissonance of today is the consonance of tomorrow" - Wassily Kandinsky

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

clearly I'm going to stock those if at all possible, Keith does love him some Curzon.

Dan Warburton

Post by Dan Warburton »

bedouin wrote:NG4, A quartet for guitars is a sublime piece of music. [..] My favourite Rowe disc since his erst duo with Tilbury.
Praise indeed.. I'd better give it a third listen. I won't, however, be returning to The Hurt Locker :D What does "affected by impressions" mean? I assume it's more a case of Wordsworthian "emotion recollected in tranquillity" than KR playing along with the movie, Bill Frisell / Buster Keaton-style.
http://www.paristransatlantic.com
REISSUED! Eric La Casa / Jean-Luc Guionnet / Dan Warburton METRO PRE SAINT GERVAIS
https://swarming.bandcamp.com/album/met ... nt-gervais

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

laszlo juhasz wrote:Image
what's with this? googling still brings nothing up ... is it not out yet or some hard-to-get czech magazine/museum edition? any pointers? thanks!

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

yeah, I have a contact that I need to follow up on but I haven't yet. hopefully I can get some before too long...

Jesse

Post by Jesse »

$10 euros / $12.63 USD to: jozef cseres @114731@mail.muni.cz, he'll mail it directly to you.
http://crowwithnomouth.wordpress.com/

Experimental music should be something that suggests a way of organizing your thinking, your attitude toward the world, which suggests that the world could be different.
Christian Wolff 2014

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

Jesse wrote:$10 euros / $12.63 USD to: jozef cseres @114731@mail.muni.cz, he'll mail it directly to you.
thanks for that, jesse! i sent him an email.

so let's try one more bit of unfinished keith rowe business. early this year there was a three-part interview (never linked to here it looks like) on a brussels station called radio panik. two parts (the first of them legendary for the chopped and screwed vocal parts) are still downloadable as of now, but they never posted the third one:
http://www.radiopanik.org/emissions/moa ... 5-at-8-pm/

i wrote them an email some months ago and never heard back, so now i've written again. does anybody per any chance have that third part? or else dropping them a line in french might draw an answer ...

cheers, lutz

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

Wombatz wrote:
Jesse wrote:$10 euros / $12.63 USD to: jozef cseres @114731@mail.muni.cz, he'll mail it directly to you.
thanks for that, jesse! i sent him an email.
it's here already. 3" CD, 14 minutes, rather concise/sparse, nice rockist amplification with little feedbacks on top, mildly episodic in structure, most musically satisfying (as opposed to most complex) use of a "cultural touchstone" (quote). very worthwhile.

schiksalgemeinschaft

my reaction to that 3" was: okay, but heard it all before. the fact that it's a live recording of 2010 probably doesn't help. Also, a bit too short to generate strong impact. If I would have been at the show 4 years ago, I would have loved it, but today I'd rather listen to Continuum Unbound or Sammath at my home.

Judging from the package etc, I have the impression that this was released more as a documentary thing for an art exhibition in the Czech republic than anything else.

Tanner

Post by Tanner »

laszlo juhasz wrote:Image

That's cover/cd image looks... not good. I would like to hear the music though.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

it looks like it is from the ongoing drawing/s he makes during live sets on paper under his setup, but I don't know for sure.

schiksalgemeinschaft

It is. The exhibition folder is included, and it is a big fold out poster with the entire drawing on the back.