Rap Music

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

bryan

Rap Music

Post by bryan »

The thread where we discuss rap music...

This was one of those beats that floored me when I first heard it:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6RXyxCi8aX8

It's Lil' Wayne on top of a little of Six Shot's track "Itz Ya Dog". I can't find the original.. ugh. It has a proto-Grindin' feel (circa 2001).

Sound Plague, how do you like the new Prodigy CD?

eraritjaritjaka

Re: Rap Music

Post by eraritjaritjaka »

im currently a fan of uk stuff like rodney p, skinnyman, foreign beggars, plus one, scratch perverts, aim, million dan, fallacy and fusion.

the scratch perverts bbc essential mix from 2004 is one of the greatest mixes i've ever heard; 3 djs, 8 decks. so many great tracks, they manage to fit radiohead and the pixies in there too.
erαrιτjαrιτjακα             죽을레?

mono tony

Post by mono tony »

is that bun b album good? i keep seeing .gifs of it here

TGruel

Post by TGruel »

The Roots album "Rising Down" is fantastic. Also, anything by Aesop Rock!

sound plague

Post by sound plague »

bryan wrote:Sound Plague, how do you like the new Prodigy CD?
I've only given it one listen so far Bryan so it hasn't had a chance to gestate yet. My initial impressions are quite positive though. It's perhaps more immediate than 'Return of the Mac' which took several spins to reveal the desolate gold. That may not turn out to be a good thing as it could suggest lack of nuance - hopefully not.

Prodigy's flow and delivery is as depressing as ever but loaded to the brim with emotion. I'll speak more about it when I've spent more time with.

I'm actually still wrapped up in K-Rino's "Book Number 7" from last year. That album is brilliant - I highly recommend. On the topic of K-Rino, here's a track he did with Snapp called "Deth Season". Great song and greater clip - check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c53H-IPU02k" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by sound plague on Thu May 22, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joda

Post by Joda »

mono tony wrote:is that bun b album good? i keep seeing .gifs of it here
Yes, yes it is good. Besides the single with Sean Kingston (which is a bit stupid) it's solid most of the way through. On the title track the chorus is sung by Z-Ro, and it's really sweet. I wish he did a verse as well, but nonetheless a good track. The tune You're Everything is probably the best hip hop track I've heard in ages. It's essentially an homage to the South, heavy synths, great soul sample, great melody, plus Bun B's verse explodes. A tribute track to Pimp C features Juvenile and reworks the beat from 'Back that Ass up', Junior Reid has a nice spot on a later track too, kinda conscious lyrics, but it works. Of course, any hip hop record is gonna have a few stinkers but this one's worth digging into, for sure.
sound plague wrote:I'm actually still wrapped up in K-Rino's "Book Number 7" from last year.
I really like that one too. Many good tracks, and some thoughtful lyrics. My favourite track is The Me You Don't See.

Chromosome

Post by Chromosome »

Dude, this is nice.

niwi

Post by niwi »

line wrote:
Dude, this is nice.

yeah, that's a good one. very effective and nicely shot video, too.

vegetable mind
farcical and aquatic

Post by vegetable mind »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuLliYsFyhU" onclick= "window.open(this.href);return false;

another amazing K-Rino track. unfortunately i'm having trouble finding any full albums. anybody help a brotha out?

Joda

Post by Joda »

vegetable mind wrote: another amazing K-Rino track. unfortunately i'm having trouble finding any full albums. anybody help a brotha out?
Nice one. You can find his entire discography on the Real Rap Talk forum, that I discovered from a tip Jon let slip. You'll need to register to get the links, but it's all here

vegetable mind
farcical and aquatic

Post by vegetable mind »

Ah yea, i'm already registered there but it just never jumps to my mind. Thanks for the reminder

bryan

Post by bryan »

sound plague wrote:Prodigy's flow and delivery is as depressing as ever but loaded to the brim with emotion.
I used to have Mobb Deep's The Infamous but it's bleakness was too much to handle at the time. Now I wish it was still on hand. I'm pretty convinced that I need Return of the Mac after re-watching some Prodigy clips recently. I've always liked his intensity.
sound plague wrote:I'm actually still wrapped up in K-Rino's "Book Number 7" from last year. That album is brilliant - I highly recommend.
Cool.. and that video you linked was real nice.

Any fans of Diamond D Stunts, Blunts, and Hip Hop? That disc never gets old.

vegetable mind
farcical and aquatic

Post by vegetable mind »

So besides II Trill I've been bumpin' 8 ball & mjg - In our Lifetime Vol. 1 a lot. does anything else come close? i have ridin' high as well which is pretty good, but sometimes a little too aggressive for me, IOL has a good balance between aggression and contemplation. but both of them have great flows and over the killer memphis beats shit is indispensable

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

vegetable mind wrote:So besides II Trill I've been bumpin' 8 ball & mjg - In our Lifetime Vol. 1 a lot. does anything else come close?
I get their records confused, but they're mostly worth hearing. try 'living legends' or 'on top of the world'.

David

Post by David »

My favorite rap albums are Ruff Ryders vol 1 & 2, anyone got recommendations for similar stuff
- anything by SwizzBeats that is equal to this?

dave quam

Post by dave quam »

I have been really into killer mike as of the last few months. I had loved "Claremont Lounge" and "Niggas Down South" when i heard them a while back, but never really checked him out much. The little material he has out is not too great on the production side for the most part(Claremont Lounge is a definite exception) but he's a great rapper. One of the few mcs that lacks great production but makes up for it with lyrics (Big L being another). His new project hes working on is being ex-produced by No I.D. and I have heard has some good producers on it. Looking forward to that, whenever it comes out.

Crucial Conflict's new album "Planet Crucon" is pretty nice.

Shop Boys- Rockstar Mentality is an album i slept on until recently. Had me pretty surprised how much I liked it. Totally fucking weird.

dave quam

Post by dave quam »

ny fans of Diamond D Stunts, Blunts, and Hip Hop? That disc never gets old.
yeah thats a good one for sure

vegetable mind
farcical and aquatic

Post by vegetable mind »

Tha Carter III has leaked

vegetable mind
farcical and aquatic

Post by vegetable mind »

and it's not particularly good :cry:

meadowphantasm

Post by meadowphantasm »

i just listened to the three 6 mafia today. its pretty good. i like the album cover alot:

Return to “I Hate Music”