Rap Music

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

Moon

Re: Rap Music

Post by Moon »

F&B wrote:Anyone have some new recommendations?
some quick ones I've been listening to lately -
Future's new one Evol is ok, but the slightly less new Purple Reign is much better.

Young Thug's I'm Up, MigoThuggin and Slime Season 3 I've listened to, but not enough to make a proper recommendation on either. He's sounding better and better, while the production gets less interesting. Maybe listen to it and share if you think it should be listened to more, haha. I had the same view on Barter 6, and that just grew and grew on me.

Slug Christ has a lot of new stuff all the time, lots of dark, blurry, psychedelic trap. The slurry punk brat voice is starting to lose the novelty value for me, plus I get worried about his mental health. Sometimes Even the Moonlight Hurt My Eyes is the last I heard in full, it's worth a listen. Found him through the Biophon label of all places.

You've probably heard the untitled unmastered from Kendrick Lamar already. I like it, even if he's a bit full of himself in the lyrics.

I Love Makonnen's newest Drink More Water is pretty new, he's still creepy and catchy. You'll like it if you like his other stuff.

The other day Space God followed me on soundcloud so I felt obliged to listen to them. They have some good ones, some new ideas (for me) while still sounding like they know what they're doing

bryan

Post by bryan »

R.I.P. Phife

Tribe Called Quest Low End Theory was a really big deal to me. Still a great album. I miss those times, I miss Phife.

Piano Mouth

Post by Piano Mouth »

A$AP Ferg - Always Strive and Prosper

Kind of on the pop side of hip hop, but remarkable nonetheless.

p.tigerlily

Post by p.tigerlily »

lite green records presents peaches: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oykhL965Co

Moon

Post by Moon »

I've been listening to

ZelooperZ - Bothic

Detroit trap with manic voice. It's a good mix of weird deliveries and hyperactive doubletime.

Lord Narf - Sick
Lord Narf's cool, she raps about drugs and stuff.

Ralo and Young Scooter - Dream Team
Kind of standard production with lots of 00's rnb type of melodies, mixed really low – which works for me since I only listen to it to hear Ralo.

Westside Gunn - Flygod
Sounds technical without being nerdy, lots of violence and gun noises. No mess on top of the beats, just loops. Bodies on Fairfax with Danny Brown is amazing.

Kwesta - Dakar II
South African trap, small touches here and there that makes the production feel different. Mostly in english, but the other languages are really great, too.

The new Gucci is so good. Track with Drake is the worst, but Waybach straight after makes up for it. Then it's the same with the Kanye track, though it's not as bad, and it gets an amazing track after as an apology, too.
I don't know if it's the case on all releases, but the volume isn't regular towards the end, starts dipping.

I've noticed volume differences on a lot on albums lately – have people started saving production cost/time by skipping on mixing or mastering? I gave Desiigner's New English a try the other day and his album was an absolute mess. And on production there, too, like some tracks where monitored on those bluetooth speaker you find in a bin close to checkout. It's worth a listen just to marvel at how they managed to get away with it, haha

Piano Mouth

Post by Piano Mouth »

Slug Christ ****

Piano Mouth

Post by Piano Mouth »

usually blurred:

Crucifixation LP

Moon

Post by Moon »

Recently

After being disappointed by Old, I thought Danny Brown would continue in that direction and I'd just have XXX to bring back from time to time. Atrocity Exhibition is so scarily like what I wished for as a follow up to XXX it made me dizzy. Might have been coffee overdose, though. But give it a listen, it's like distilled Danny Brown, and it has a feature from B-real.

Didn't like a single track on this, despite giving it a few tries.

I listened to this album after seeing a Vine with a dog with its head stuck in a piece of bread mouthing the lyrics to Ultimate. Really enjoying the fast shouty flows and dark house soundscapes. Haven't actually checked out who produced any of the beats yet, so the album hasn't made too much of an impression, besides the yelling dog vine track, but it's nice background music.
Can't find the Vine, but here's a video version of the mentioned bread-dogs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yqc_mWXsSo

bryan

Post by bryan »

bryan wrote:Image

R.I.P. Phife

Tribe Called Quest Low End Theory was a really big deal to me. Still a great album. I miss those times, I miss Phife.

Throwing nostalgia to the side and embracing the new A Tribe Called Quest album - We Got It from Here... Thank You 4 Your Service

Really happy for this - that my favorite rap group went in and made one last lovely musical statement, their last ever because Phife passed this year. It's an album that feels very necessary to me right now. Because it doesn't succumb to preciousness and patronizing in the face of loss - both of Phife and of the disaster of the US presidential election - and instead here Tribe are as socially conscious, multidimensional, musical, joyful, playful, and alive as ever.

Thanks guys, for your music and spirit

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

haven't heard that yet, but never liked them (or De La Soul really, I was a Jungle Brothers guy). people seem to be impressed by it, though.

two new E-40 records leaked today, The D-Boy Diary Book One and The D-Boy Diary Book Two.

Mo Noyz

Post by Mo Noyz »

Molten - dälek

Heard the new TCQ album today. It's actually pretty well done, and I'm not a fan of theirs.

bryan

Post by bryan »

Future

Reading Noz's year-end list for 2017 has me thinking about how the trappings of success changes the music from a hunger and emotional vulnerability into a winning formula that sells (or tries to sell). Thinking of the recent examples of Young Thug and Future. Future's example is probably the most stark. I made a playlist for 2012-2015 Future and it's heartbreaking to track the transition from idealism ("Turn on the Lights") to love ("I Be U") to heartbreak and numbing the pain ("Codeine Crazy") to a more cynical acceptance ("News or Somethin"). Maybe it's too easy to find the narrative there but Future's music really changed into something more cynical after his relationship with Ciara fell apart. Now it's all about pushing the drug content for sales. While the exaggerated drug narratives were always there, before there was some more emotional honesty whereas now it's numbness.

Anyways, years ago I was pretty intrigued with Drake integrating rap and singing via autotune and what that meant for the future of rap. And then came Future, and he did it the best because the music had a raw emotional honesty to it but now that era of Future is over.

2012-2015 Future in catharsis mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIrhcTk ... aaw3pbyGnO
Turn on the Lights
Same Damn Time
Straight Up
Dem
Sh!t
I Be U
March Madness
Throw Away
My Savages
Codeine Crazy
Kno the Meaning
News or Somethin

PS Lil Uzi Vert "XO Tour Life" is a continuation of that raw emotional Future sound but I don't necessarily expect Uzi (or Future) to be able to keep putting out these type of tracks because they are harder to fake or calculate (as opposed to the drug stuff)

Moon

Post by Moon »

Does any of you know who this is?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/684j04ezu5guc ... s.mp3?dl=0
I've tried searching for any part of the lyrics. The mix is from around '10, I think, and the style sounds old, but at the same time the beat sounds digitally cut.

And 3/4 hiphop in general – share me some, please?

Here's one to start, from Smeke Reven, my favourite norwegian rapper atm:
https://open.spotify.com/track/0ZFdLLmo ... bFpEIPlNTg

onion

Post by onion »

DJ Screw Sold $15,000 Worth of Mixtapes a Day During His Prime

https://medium.com/micro-chop/dj-sold-1 ... 5afbd86cad