Bring the (harsh) noise !

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

Dohol

Re: Bring the (harsh) noise !

Post by Dohol »

noise is good....

http://vimeo.com/52166029
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman

http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

drip

Post by drip »

Funny to see this topic pop up again and all releases mentioned in 2015 are at least 10 years old.
I used to be into Noise a lot, but have no idea what happened in the genre during the last three years. I think the last interesting things I heard came from Jason Crumer and Sewer Election & Puce Mary. Don't know, if I just got tired of the whole Noise thing or if the genre itself became stale. Harsh Noise Walls didn't interest me a bit, but I'd love to check out what was hot in 2014 (yeah, basically a best of list). Any suggestions?

dialectics of shit

Post by dialectics of shit »

i'm kind of in the same boat. got a bit bored with ambient/drone/noise a couple of years ago and have recently come back, although i'm revisiting things for the most part at this point.

any fans of wether's uncertain ritual? listened to that one yesterday, and i think it has some cool stuff going on.

j-p

Post by j-p »

haven't heard anything interesting in ages.

whenever I feel the urge I just reach for Incapacitants "Box is Stupid" or that C.C.C.C "Early Works" triple threat.

bnuob

Post by bnuob »

I love abstract aural assaults as much as the next guy but the baggage of machismo and dramaturgy that a lot of noise brings has always been offputting for me, stripping all pretension to subversion through its willingness to stagnate in nostalgia and the cock-rock idioms of its 80s roots. In other words, a hard focus on aesthetics and failure to recognize that the radical potential of noise lies in the tension between conceptualization and actualization. The dotolim crew avoid these pitfalls and continue to do refreshing work, stripped of histrionics but incorporating risk and embracing failure more voraciously than any other music I've encountered.
drip wrote:Funny to see this topic pop up again and all releases mentioned in 2015 are at least 10 years old.
I used to be into Noise a lot, but have no idea what happened in the genre during the last three years. I think the last interesting things I heard came from Jason Crumer and Sewer Election & Puce Mary. Don't know, if I just got tired of the whole Noise thing or if the genre itself became stale. Harsh Noise Walls didn't interest me a bit, but I'd love to check out what was hot in 2014 (yeah, basically a best of list). Any suggestions?
Objets Infernaux (Erstwhile) is fantastic, likewise the Panzner/Stuart version of Pisaro's White Metal (Dromos).

drip

Post by drip »

bnuob wrote:I love abstract aural assaults as much as the next guy but the baggage of machismo and dramaturgy that a lot of noise brings has always been offputting for me, stripping all pretension to subversion through its willingness to stagnate in nostalgia and the cock-rock idioms of its 80s roots. In other words, a hard focus on aesthetics and failure to recognize that the radical potential of noise lies in the tension between conceptualization and actualization. The dotolim crew avoid these pitfalls and continue to do refreshing work, stripped of histrionics but incorporating risk and embracing failure more voraciously than any other music I've encountered.
Yeah, I get what you're saying. But isn't it the same with every genre that has some kind of history? I could change the Noise label in your text with Hip Hop or Metal and it still would be true. Especially what you call the tension between conceptualization and actualizationtension. There are so many records out there that sound good, but are boring. Because the artist doesn't take any risk and relies on already established aesthetics/structures. Innovators are rare but there are enough people out there that have a sense of structure and know what they're doing.
bnuob wrote:Objets Infernaux (Erstwhile) is fantastic, likewise the Panzner/Stuart version of Pisaro's White Metal (Dromos).
I don't know Objets Infernaux but think I've heard the White Metal version once. I'll check them out, but regardless I believeErstwhile and Pisaro are covered here enough. So I'd really love to hear new names that aren't closely related to IHM.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

I haven't actually heard it, but people were into the Russell Haswell/Pain Jerk record that came out this year. also the Ian Fraser self-released cassette (The Realness) might qualify?

dialectics of shit

listened to this today, and it was bloody great:

http://www.discogs.com/Custodian-Destru ... se/2248180

Skuj

Post by Skuj »

bnuob wrote:The dotolim crew avoid these pitfalls and continue to do refreshing work, stripped of histrionics but incorporating risk and embracing failure more voraciously than any other music I've encountered.
I am :oops: as I ask "What is the dotolim crew?" My internet searching skills are obviously quite lacking.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

Skuj wrote:
bnuob wrote:The dotolim crew avoid these pitfalls and continue to do refreshing work, stripped of histrionics but incorporating risk and embracing failure more voraciously than any other music I've encountered.
I am :oops: as I ask "What is the dotolim crew?" My internet searching skills are obviously quite lacking.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_qwug ... freload=10

mudd
Site Admin

Post by mudd »

i'm not really very good at list-making.

vasculae, the solo project of jon borges from pedestrian deposit, is particularly excellent these last couple years. monorail trespassing has done a bunch of fine releases as well, including tapes from major houston noise people (werewolf jerusalem, a week of kindness) and more recently something great from lettera 22.

the italian label second sleep has done a bunch of excellent stuff, strange rules in the UK as well (though their flagship project, cremation lily, has largely turned towards ambient and drone in the last year or so). posh isolation has some great stuff, especially if you're interested in the power electronics side of the sound (puce mary has her vinyl releases on posh isolation, for example). in the US there are still a handful of tape labels going strong - fusty cunt, heavy psych, unseen force, above-mentioned monorail... chondritic sound is mostly not doing noise these days.

i don't really see any evidence that noise has slowed down in production or quality. sure, a lot of artists gravitate away from noise into other sounds. but the noise lives on.

m

Dohol

Post by Dohol »

mudd wrote:
i don't really see any evidence that noise has slowed down in production or quality. sure, a lot of artists gravitate away from noise into other sounds. but the noise lives on.

m

agreed....

this isn't noise of the first water, but the thought of a bunch of Indonesian kids with cheap generators and piles of junk laying "noise bombs" on their fellow citizens fills me with hope.... :D

http://youtu.be/Y4L83ML1vI4
“In a kind of middle-aged crisis, it dawned upon me that there was a possibility that music might not even be an art form.”

Morton Feldman

http://soundcloud.com/doug-holbrook

dialectics of shit

monorail is definitely one of the noise labels that i trust inherently; will listen to anything they put out and likely buy the digital of it (which i think it's awesome they do) b/c i'm not much for tapes (speaking of "inherently," i know it's kind of inherently silly to dig monorail but not be all about some tapes, but ya know.). co-sign mudd's mention of lettera 22 and vasculae no question.

as per mention of vasculae and custodian, they have me going through white centipede noise's catalog, and i'm liking it a lot. if you're inclined, you can hear a few releases here: http://whitecentipedenoise.bandcamp.com/

the pieces, er, piece is top drawer and features gordon ashworth of concern.

mudd
Site Admin

Post by mudd »

mentioning ashworth reminds me to name drop work/death, who continues to release phenomenal material at far too slow a rate.

m

Tanner

Post by Tanner »

I have to second or third Puce Mary recommendation. Really great stuff. I'm unhappy I missed her on her US tour.

I really enjoyed The Rita/Climax Denial tape that came out this last year. The Rita is ridiculously on point and consistent.

I also just got the Reverse Baptism record that came out a couple years back. It's odd, good power electronics from Jason Crumer and others...

Return to “I Hate Music”