List your Top 5 favorite Erstwhile discs

The one and only.

Moderators: Antoine, niwi

schiksalgemeinschaft

Re: List your Top 5 favorite Erstwhile discs

Post by schiksalgemeinschaft »

In my quest to revisit all Ersts carefully, I've made it up unto The Flirts. We are everyone in the room was a very nice surprise, as was Bits, Bots and signs, but I must say do is without a doubt my favorite one up unto that point in the catalogue. Both very subtle and extreme.

Next up is Weather Sky, curious if that can beat do.

drip

Post by drip »

Aw man, thanks for digging up a thread from times when IHM had actual value.
On a side note, with the new Ersts popping up: is EAI still a thing or did we silently move past it?

bedouin

Post by bedouin »

drip wrote:Aw man, thanks for digging up a thread from times when IHM had actual value.
On a side note, with the new Ersts popping up: is EAI still a thing or did we silently move past it?
from the little i know, i'd say eai is still strong.
love recent material by lucio cappece and more at hideous-replica, drouin and co at infrequency, consumer waste and more. maybe there should be a new "state of the union" thread :)

my top ersts:
schnee
eh
duos for doris
wrapped islands
amplify 2002

cdeupree

Post by cdeupree »

schiksalgemeinschaft wrote:In my quest to revisit all Ersts carefully...
Fun idea to revisit the label more or less in order. Here's what I would pick before such an endeavor.

The Room (tough choice between this and September)
La Voyelle Liquide
Hands of Caravaggio
Misenlian (always had a soft spot for this one)
The Abyss

Had to rearrange the list so it wasn't *all* Rowe-related. Weather Sky barely got edged out.

Alastair
liver the size of brazil

Post by Alastair »

schiksalgemeinschaft wrote:In my quest to revisit all Ersts carefully
That's quite a task. I tried it back when there were only 40 rather than the 97 there are now, and all bar 2 of those 40 were single discs. I think there's 110 discs in total now.

My thoughts on the 40 ended up somewhere in Jazzcorner, which I believe doesn't exist any more.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

if you count the box set as one item, I come up with 89 releases currently (86 CD only, 1 CD/LP, 1 DVD, 1 7 CD/DVD):

erst 001-032 (32)
erst 033-040 (1)
erst 041-076 (36)
erstlive (12)
erstsolo (3)
erstpop (2)
erstAEU (3)

not to nitpick, I want to make sure I'm right so I know what #100 is when I get there.

Alastair
liver the size of brazil

Post by Alastair »

I was counting the box as 8 as they have their own catalogue numbers. But your way is best for thinking of 100 releases.

Alastair
liver the size of brazil

Post by Alastair »

Are you going to do a Table of the Elements and finish at 100?

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

Alastair wrote:Are you going to do a Table of the Elements and finish at 100?
I have thought about that in the past, it will definitely seem odd to have a catalog number beginning with a '1'. but as long as I can keep coming up with compelling combos and don't run out of money, Erst proper will continue. of course since 050 came out in 2006 and 075 was 8+ years later, 100 probably won't be anytime soon.

mono tony

Post by mono tony »

recent:

imaoto (all-time great)
dystonia duos
severe liberties (love the recording, the physical 'weight' of the sounds)

haven't ever really connected with Making A, and Three Exercises, while it's immersive/possessing great sounds, feels like it's treading over-familiar ground. love the packaging/layout though

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

what is the 'over-familiar' ground? honestly just curious, I'm pretty sure that's the only improv record ever made where there are local reporters asking questions while it's going on.

and if the answer is Taku Unami, that is a helluva lot of ground to cede to one handful of records by one musician. there are occasional similarities, but I really love 'Three Exercises'.

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

jon abbey wrote:if you count the box set as one item, I come up with 89 releases currently (86 CD only, 1 CD/LP, 1 DVD, 1 7 CD/DVD):

erst 001-032 (32)
erst 033-040 (1)
erst 041-076 (36)
erstlive (12)
erstsolo (3)
erstpop (2)
erstAEU (3)

not to nitpick, I want to make sure I'm right so I know what #100 is when I get there.
totally forgot I did this here, I have been thinking about this lately as I am getting close to 100:

erst 001-032 (32)
erst 033-040 (1)
erst 041-080 (40)
erstlive (12)
erstsolo (3)
erstpop (2)
erstAEU (5)

so we're at 95 now, the upcoming pair of ErstAEUs will make it 97.

SqDanceCallingSteve

Post by SqDanceCallingSteve »

Keith Rowe -- The Room (A masterpiece that transcends the genre, essential.)

Cosmos -- Tears (Sachiko M/ Amy Yoshida)

Martin Siewert/ Martin Brandmayr -- Too Beautiful To Burn

The Magic I.D. --till my breath gives out

Graham Lambkin/ Jason Lescalleet -- The Breadwinner
www.steveminkin.com

"Time is the school in which we learn,/ Time is the fire in which we burn."
Delmore Schwartz

mono tony

Post by mono tony »

jon abbey wrote:what is the 'over-familiar' ground? honestly just curious, I'm pretty sure that's the only improv record ever made where there are local reporters asking questions while it's going on.

and if the answer is Taku Unami, that is a helluva lot of ground to cede to one handful of records by one musician. there are occasional similarities, but I really love 'Three Exercises'.
ambiguous activity/racket taking place in a large room, pronounced reverb. intermittent thuds and thumps, percussive rustlings. yeah, it reminds me of motubachii, but also resolution (kelley/block), and some of the background activity (Pisaro?) in this place / is love. elements of tracing a boundary. it doesn't sound like those records.. there are a number of bright, striking sounds, snatches of vocal recordings, fragmented dialogue, etc. i'm not fully tuned in to the subtleties of the narrative or exposition going on, but i feel over-familiar with it somehow. it's possible i'll revisit it later, in a different state, and get a fresh impression. it could be that my approach is stale

jon abbey

Post by jon abbey »

ok, fair enough, thanks for the answer. another way I think 'three exercises' is pretty unique is that it contrasts those sections with loud direct noisy electronics courtesy of Nick, I'd definitely give it another shot sometime.

Wombatz

Post by Wombatz »

i see more of a link of three exercises with teatro assente. i don't think you get a full picture of these from the nature of the sounds alone, there's a strong narrative element which is what makes them so different. one theatrical (enter sound from stage left), three exercises perhaps like its own mockumentary (putting the prose back in process music) ... making a (while it probably wouldn't be in my erst top 5, the other two might) similarly has a distinct sequence of settings (as opposed to field recordings as documentations of something or someplace) with maybe the artists as actors performing the creative process as much as actually making a [whatever] ... (though there's a drawing to show for it)

Tanner

Post by Tanner »

It's hard to parse out just how much of this list is nostalgia, but here were are anyway.

- Do
- EL005
- Duos for Doris
- Tears
- Contact/Soba to Bara

I will say that I was able (and more willing) to have complete immersive experiences with these albums when they came out than others in the last 5 years. It also is rather Sachiko M based (and Rowe), but what can I say? she elevates shit. Anyway... I think those are my personal favorites for now.

slayerhatesusall

Post by slayerhatesusall »

Not a definitive top 5 as there are too many great releases to pick from, but for now:

Good Morning Good Night
What a Wonderful World
Objets infernaux
Chaos Club
Dystonia Duos

fractious

Post by fractious »

Choo Choo generic disaffected twentysomething male taste coming through

Duos for Doris
Four Gentleman of the Guitar (SO GOOD and I don't see it on these lists very often, which flummoxes me no end)
The Breadwinner
Objets Infernaux
Medium Rude

With profuse apologies to Good Morning Good Night, Chaos Club, II, Amorphous Spores, Time Travel, The Flirts, Schnee_Live

niwi

Post by niwi »

duos for doris
the breadwinner
lidingo
motubachii
teatro assente

*edit*
oh, and detour